PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
It's starting to look like the "broken piece" in the mortise isn't actually that.

More likely a spacer that someone made to remove the gap between the bottom of the mortise and the end of the tenon...

OR

(and no, I'm not kidding)... what's there is ossified gunk. Nearly glass hard "petrified" yuck, created by someone who smoked the pipe hard and frequently cleaned it (he thought) with frequent alcohol-soaked pipe cleaners. And never, ever took the pipe apart.

The gap acts as a combination alcohol wringer and crud trap, and the crud particles in suspension plate out as the alcohol evaporates. Repeat X 1000 and you end up with something damn near as hard as acrylic (but significantly more brittle).

I've seen it maybe two dozen times over the years.

The fix is easy (if that's what it is in your case): a slip-fit drill bit gently hand-turned into the mortise until the crap stops coming out and wood shows at the end of the tunnel.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The broken piece inside the stummel is proving to be a challenge. I'm fairly sure there is a broken piece in there. Here is a shot of the stem removed from the pipe. Something is missing off the end right?

View attachment 124725
Maybe, maybe not. Some tenons were stepped, but many were not. Of course, it's a replacement stem, so no chamfering around the top of the tenon or at the base. Are you sure that that blob at the end isn't just hardened crap?

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The rim is starting to look somewhat decent again.

6376lv.jpg

6376px.jpg

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
No after pictures of the salt soak, but I'm always impressed what gunk salt and vodka can wick out of briar.

Here is the bowl with two coats of carnauba wax. It has really cleaned up nicely. Next step for the bowl will be a couple rounds of damp coffee grounds to eliminate any remaining smells.

What I should have done is the coffee first, then finished with the wax, but I couldn't wait.

P_20220203_144219.jpgP_20220203_144237.jpgP_20220203_144251.jpg

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
No after pictures of the salt soak, but I'm always impressed what gunk salt and vodka can wick out of briar.

Here is the bowl with two coats of carnauba wax. It has really cleaned up nicely. Next step for the bowl will be a couple rounds of damp coffee grounds to eliminate any remaining smells.

What I should have done is the coffee first, then finished with the wax, but I couldn't wait.

View attachment 126080View attachment 126081View attachment 126082
Looking good, so far.
Thanks for posting those step-by step progress pics.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon