PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Thank you gentlemen, it is coming along slowly but surely. I wish my tablet could take better pictures. The grain and colour look really nice in person.

As for the stem @scloyd, I'm going to try to clean it up as well. If I keep it, it may just go to Briarville for a different stem.
Now that you've really tidied up the stummel, it deserves a new stem.

I'm not that fixated on keeping all my pipes "original" as what I really want is a functional pipe
But if you intend to pass it on, then an original stem, albeit repaired, makes sense.
I'm sure Al (@ssjones ) can chime in on how to fix the original stem

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
then an original stem, albeit repaired, makes sense.

According to Jesse, it is a replacement stem on there already.

I'm sure Al (@ssjones ) can chime in on how to fix the original stem

Al has given me great advice on repairing stems. I think he was the one who told me about using epoxy to fill the hole and then sand it down when it dries.

I might go that route. I'm still undecided about keeping this pipe or sending it on its way.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
From Jesse ( who learned from George Dibos ) I learned to deghost a bowl with granulated active charcoal and alcohol. Works like a charm !
Cannot not wait to see the outcome , the stem is not beyond salvation !
I repair holes in stems with a slow setting two part black epoxy from StewMac :

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Here's how I go about fixing holes in stems, and I hope this can be of some help to some of you guys.

A backing piece is inserted into the mouthpiece to give the Por-15 something to stick to. Por-15 is a black seam filler that dries rock hard and gloss black.

After a few days I will remove the backing piece of wood and sand the patch smooth as I can.

P_20220207_113103.jpgP_20220207_113316.jpgP_20220207_113327.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Here's how I go about fixing holes in stems, and I hope this can be of some help to some of you guys.

A backing piece is inserted into the mouthpiece to give the Por-15 something to stick to. Por-15 is a black seam filler that dries rock hard and gloss black.

After a few days I will remove the backing piece of wood and sand the patch smooth as I can.

View attachment 126919View attachment 126920View attachment 126921
Keeping my fingers crossed. I hope it works better than the cyanoacrylate based fillers. They mostly fall off after a few uses.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
They mostly fall off after a few uses.
I've had good luck with it in the past. I have a Brigham that I used this on and its held pretty good so far.

Did you coat the wood backing with something to act as a release agent?
Hmm in hindsight that's a good idea. I've never done that and it seems to release fairly easily.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
I've had good luck with it in the past. I have a Brigham that I used this on and its held pretty good so far.

Hmm in hindsight that's a good idea. I've never done that and it seems to release fairly easily.
You could scotch tape the wood backing . It will also give a more smooth patch on the inside of the stem.
CA glue sucks, it will become brittle and fall off . Never really worked for me.
It's good to fill shallow tooth marks though. TM is right, work with a black to black transition.
Apart from your good care, the stem will eventually oxidize, the patch will not .

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
It has been a while since an update (pesky new job), but the POR 15 has hardened and I'm in the process of sanding it down. There are a few 'dips' that look similar to bite marks, which I could either fill with more POR 15 or just leave. I'm undecided. Given how rarely I would smoke the pipe, I might just leave it.

I'm going to try @woodsroad 's trick of dying the entire stem in leather dye. I thought I had a jar of it somewhere from when I redid a steering wheel, but can't seem it find it now.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Keeping my fingers crossed. I hope it works better than the cyanoacrylate based fillers. They mostly fall off after a few uses.
Interesting, I wouldn't have thought of POR15 (and Jesse is right - they just don't hold up on big repairs like this).
I use POR15 for auto parts - it holds up forever. I don't know how it will polish, like the rest of the stem.
Curious to see the updates, great job so far!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Amazon shows dozens of POR 15 products/sizes. I have just a couple of stems to try to repair, so can any one recommend a specific one that won't break the bank?