PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
@cigarboxgypsy - it's a Gibson SG guitar with a 10w Peavy amp. It's an inexpensive Gibson; designed for beginners, so the components and wood etc. are not high quality. Still a Gibson SG though.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
When we moved into this house I smoked only outside. Then, in the Scottish winter, I was allowed to smoke the pipe in the ‘utility’ room; which adjoins the kitchen, houses the dog and the washing machine, but is unheated.
Three or four Januaries ago I had abdominal surgery. The night after discharge she found me smoking in the utility room; it was 14.00 and below zero, and she told me to stop and come inside. I refused, telling her what a tough chap I was. She is a nurse, and very bossy too! (Does anyone else have this problem?), but buoyed up by post-op meds I stood my ground…..
Result!! I was then moved to the kitchen/dining room, where I erected my defences and have been smoking ever since (GH&Co Brown u/s in a 50’s Stanwell, as I type). I don’t smoke when she’s cooking, when the teenaged daughter is making brownies, or when we are eating.
A few days later, she came in and said "What's that your smokin'??". "1792 Flake," I said, expecting abuse. "That's what my grandad used to smoke," she said.
I married her soon after!

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
"She is a nurse, and very bossy too! (Does anyone else have this problem?"
Yes. I call her Nurse Ratchet. She's actually a fantastic lady, it's not her fault she's a hot blooded red head.
In all seriousness- it's a matter of trade offs to me. She doesn't like it when I smoke in the house around her. No biggie. I don't like it when she watches TV around me. That's when I usually go find another room.
There are no sectioned off places in our house- The whole family lives here...my kids put their art up next to pipe racks.
Works for us.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
One of the windows next to my kitchen table is high enough that a window exhaust fan is right at head level if I'm sitting at the table. I stay warm and the smoke has no chance to go anywhere but out. I let it run for 10 minutes after I'm done, and no lingering odors at all later.

davidy97

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
Tx
I smoke in garage / mancave. Ceiling fan, beer frige, tv, sofa... so I have no complaints. I spent more time out there than my living room.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've typically had my pipe set up in the garage. Vegas is a very windy city, so it gives good shelter from that. The only time it's bad is the summer when we hit 105F or hotter. At that point there's absolutely no piping outside. I don't mind not enjoying a bowl indoors, but we have decided when we move into a new house I will get a den/mancave setup configured with an air vent so I can enjoy pipes while watching Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes episodes and what not.

echambers

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 21, 2017
I smoke outside or in the garage. I do work at home and this summer I am going to remodel my office. When I do that I'll be able to seal it a little better and install ventilation and a Rabbit air cleaner so I don't have to endure another winter in the garage. The cool thing about this is that because it's a home office any improvements are a tax write-off.

cwarmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2017
I guess you could say I am banished to the garage or outside as well. Funny thing is, my wife likes the pipe as much as I do. Maybe more. We have a cozy spot set up in the corner and we dream of summer nights and someday adding a smoking room off our bedroom.

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
My wife and I agreed I wouldn’t smoke in the new house, but only if I had this:
1200 sq.ft. garage/workshop in a separate building with cozy home theater upstairs. Insulated, complete with HVAC. Sometimes compromise is good!
77607B7E-1FEB-45AF-9B18-FC314F2BD51B_zpsc8nlv1rz.jpeg
[/url][/img]
A4CAD06E-6EA0-4BF1-8B2B-C4CCFB41D56E_zpspztsqrz4.jpeg
[/url][/img]
D6695CB4-922F-4C17-935A-D2C3E275128C_zps2xewgcq2.jpeg
[/url][/img]

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
I do have a small room I can smoke in but then I get yammered at for not "spending time together", not that we're doing anything specific, just that she feels better when we're "doing nothing" in the same room ... pathetic I know

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
Got a very small dark room which I use for cellar - wines and tobacco; Also where my pipes being on display.

But both with my wife being smokers we do use one of our balconies. Closed down with big french window, overlooking at the city from 12th floor.

Accommodated with comfy chairs and smoking supplies :)

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
If I had my 'druthers' I would have a shop/man cave area and I would play at making pipes, listening to classic rock and smoking tobacco.

I live in a condo, smoke mostly inside, but don't have anyone else to bother, since I am divorced. (No, not because I wouldn't stop smoking 'in the house'.)

This year I did buy an air cleaner with hepa filters and it makes a difference in my air quality.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
carver don't fret .. we all have that problem. It tends to get a bit easier on the "stuff together" routine with age, but don't expect miracles.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
If I could smoke inside the house I would never get anything done! The only reason I get things done now is because I know I can have a pipe when I leave the house or do yard work. I smoke in my car cause it’s the only place I have to smoke that has an ac. If I get stuck in trafffic even better!!! Put up Christmas lights? “You got it babe! Let me pack my Pipes.” I meet up with some friends at the B&M from time to time.

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
I always smoke outside. But then again my wife and I spend most of our time outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.