PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I smoke in the garage occasionally. But my garage has a table, soft recliner, television and a cable box. Did I mention the small apartment size refrigerator which holds adult beverages?
On top of that, it's a great hiding place from the noise when the house gets crowded or when I want to smoke a pipe while watching a football game.

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
My wife is not some anti-smoking tyrant...but I know that her preference would be that I not smoke the pipe in the house...so I do so outside, in my truck, and in the garage during winter (with a kero heater). I'm the wage earner...but she's more important to me than the pipe.
Think about this analogy. If your wife mixed up perfumes as a hobby...wouldn't you want her to either have a dedicated room with ventilation (so you weren't gagging on that nastiness), or in a workshop/garage outside of the house? I would. It's reasonable. And if you're one of those few guys who truly didn't mind...or maybe even enjoyed the potpourri in the air...she'd be one of those rare and grateful ladies who's hubby didn't mind that she carried on her craft inside the house.
Choch...that looks like a sweet setup to me!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I *can* smoke anywhere I want, but limit it to the TV room. Mostly smoke in car and outside, as live in mild climate and can walk everyday. Heading out now.

I had a thread about setting up an excellent exhaust system for pipe smokers. In line fans, rheostat controls on the wall, super silent, and the room is vented completely once every couple of minutes. It was based on how a cigar shop I visited had set up their lounge. But, Photobucket killed my pictures. In all, I think it was about $400, and easy, easy to install. I can smoke on the couch, and my wife setting next to me says that she can't even tell if it is lit. I have yet to even smell one cat or dog fart since, and our dog is pretty farty. :puffy:

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
I guess I married well. My wife let's me stay inside with my pipe. However, I do hear some commentary when I choose a tobacco that she doesn't like. To maintain peace and, more importantly, ensure my safety, I have organized my active tobacco rotation into the "approved" and "not approved" groups. Happily, the unapproved group is the vastly smaller portion of my rotation.
Cheers,
Chili

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I was married I smoked in the house, now being divorced 10 years later I still smoke in the house. The only shit I get is from my daughters, but whip out something Cherry or Vanilla to keep them quiet. My oldest daughter thinks her vaping isn't smoking, kids.

Oct 7, 2016
I choose to smoke in the garage. I have been single for almost 20 years now I also smoke pipes and cigars in the car. I don't want my house to smell like my car. I have frequent guests and the vast majority of them are non-smokers. Since I am partially disabled with limits to my mobility, I value my friends and neighbors who feel free to drop by and drink some coffee, share a meal or just visit. I want everyone to enjoy my home. That simple. There is an extra chair in the garage, and the handful of smokers know I will happily join them there.
With WiFi, a nice tablet, and my Kindle, I can read and watch sports. A small space heater keeps things comfy on all but the coldest days. If I preheat the garage for a few hours, I can tolerate outside temps of 20 or so. For the most part, it doesn't get terribly hot on summer evenings. I got a recliner five years or so ago at the recommendation of my neurosurgeon and moved my main easy chair out to the garage. Now that I have recovered from 3 back surgeries, the old easy chair is very comfortable. And we have had a glorious fall so far and an unusually pleasant summer, so I can take a few steps to the patio and enjoy the outdoors. And still be in WiFi range. Not fancy, but it has worked really well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I mostly smoke in my upstairs study, but since I smoke only a bowl or two a day, it's not an issue. Outdoors would be nice, but my wife likes the sociability of having me indoors with her when I'm home and not working in the yard. Your garage and basement caves look great, with plenty of leaf, brew, and other comforts. Looks fine to me.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I smoke in one room of the house. The fan in "exhaust mode" during "smoking hours".
jay-roger.jpg

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
As I've posted before, about 10 years ago I was building an addition to our house that essentially doubled the size of the master bedroom, added a media room and built it with an office to be included in the attic of the addition.
It was during this time that I happened to catch an episode of The Mancave show on one of the diy channels. This particular episode showed them building an airtight room in the basement of a swanky Chicago home.
The light went off and I was employing my google fu skills to gather the resources/equipment necessary for making my office a dual purpose space.
The best deal I could find at the time was to build in an exhaust fan vs one of the multiple of thousands of $$ for an air scrubber.
All in, my system, a central inline 440cfm fan with 3 air/exhaust ducts in the ceiling, came in right around $500 installed.
When I built the space I was primarily a cigar smoker, only smoking my 1 pipe 3 or 4 times a year. So, this meant that I would really only smoke in my office about once a week or so. Now that I've contracted both PAD & TAD, I find that I'm up in the cave 5 or 6 nights a week.
The fan, frequent emptying of my ash trays and trash cans, along with a weekly spritz of fabreeze, keep the place smellin fine and the Blonde happy.
In closing I thought I'd pass on a recommendation on inline fans.
When I got mine, the largest capacity affordable unit was a Panasonic 440cfm Whisper quiet fan. Now there's a company out there, Hyper Fan, that has a 1065cfm unit for just over $200.
https://www.amazon.com/Hyper-Fan-Digital-Mixed-Flow/dp/B00IGFE5BG/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_86_t_0/147-2920348-9036034?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ZDAVJB4XMMKWECSM2Y36
It has piqued my interests and I will most likely upgrade to this unit next year.

Ozium spray is great stuff. https://www.amazon.com/Ozium-Glycolized-Air-Freshener-Sanitizer/dp/B01A04IPFC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512163754&sr=8-1&keywords=ozone+spray

I use it in non-smoking hotel rooms after I leave and rental cars just before I return them, and no one has ever sensed that I had spent my entire time in them smoking my pipes. And, I travel quite a bit.

If you can find the vanilla scented one, it my favorite, but in quick sweep of Amazon, I couldn't find it any more.
In a rental car, set the air conditioner to recycle the air, and spray it in the floor boards of the front seats till you smell it blowing out the dashboards. It removes all traces of smoke from the car.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Some of us don't know how fortunate we are to have tolerant wives
or ex-wives. Been married to the 3rd wife for 26 years now, no bitchin about my pipes or cigars...

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Had a wife that didn't like my smoking. Deciding I didn't like her other behaviors, put her on the skids, kept the house and smoke in my living room. I Smoke with company, and while my friends don't like my smoking (my girlfriend could care less even when burning Lat bombs), at their house I don't like their Maltese/Poodles.....but we all like picking at each other, so our bad habits keep us well supplied in verbal ammo.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Banished ... that sounds serious. I have a small den where I smoke, but every so often we do get in a fight over why I have smoked the whole house. But banished ... man that's no good, a man should be allowed to enjoy his hobbies. The small things in life really matter, after all.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
I started the pipe again at the beginning of last summer and smoked outside all summer both at my ladyfriend's house and at home. Now that it is getting cold out this is getting to be an issue and not as much fun.
I have an air cleaner I need to try to set up at home to see if it makes things OK for my daughter. Or she just might have to deal with it, I dunno. We'll see. It's a good air cleaner, but not electrostatic.
Funny thing is this. I've smoked inside at home while my kid was on vacation and I prefer smoking outside when it is warm.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
For some odd reason I find pipe smoke, and it's after smell, a lot more pleasant than cigar or cigarette smoke. Cigarette smoke gets stale on top of things, while pipe smoke (except for the latakia heavy English blends - which I must agree with the wife, do tend to give the room a bad smell) is quite pleasant. Smoking inside, at my desk, sitting down in a warm room enjoying a drink - be that alcoholic or not, is have the fun.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Thankfully I am able to smoke in my shop, and have done so for the past 7 years. I recently moved rooms though as my shop is broken up into 3 three rooms (main room, single car garage, back workshop), and I moved my "Man Cave" from the single car garage area to the main room area. It's a much bigger room, and much nicer look. Its a better setup and now I even have a bar for all my whiskeys etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.