PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Tobacco, sunsets and the sex trade. Sounds like pulp fiction.

Never been to the Pacific Rim but plan to go there one day. Would really enjoy absorbing the cultures.

Reactions: jvnshr

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Mrs Cosmic and I have been talking about doing a train trip across India for a few years, but things keep coming up.
My wife has zero interest in a true travel vacation unless it's the EU. She likes to be pampered and not work too hard. lol

Me...I would be fine living out of a backpack and eating local. You get treated very differently by the locals if you don't act like the typical American Tourist. Vietnam, Thailand, Bali, Fiji and Japan are all on the list.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Perhaps Brobs would be happier is every country adopted the same moral, social, religious, economic, etc. norms. Life would be so sterile and dull.

An industry worth 6.4 billion. Very moral.
They cater to the tastes of Americans, Europeans, Japanese, etc. without consideration of country of origin. Can't blame the Thais for recognizing a group of consumers and then catering to them.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Well, we were told that it was Florida for Europeans... specifically "Eurotrash." When we asked what Eurotrash was, they told us it was there word for Europeans. puffy
That doesn't mean that it is in Europe, but designed to tailored to their needs... in my understanding.

Oh I see, "for Europeans" makes sense. Florida for Europe on the other hand could be Nice or Cannes, or maybe somewhere in Spain I suppose.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've known a few people that went to live there and they said they loved it there. And of course nothing is perfect and there are some really sad parts about it. Especially aspects of the sex trade. But they also claimed the people where generous and warm to them and not murderous at all. Who knows I've never been there but I'd go there before Myanmar formerly known as Burma. I hear there are some really crazy insane things going on there including people going to jail for saying mean things about the leaders pet dog.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I've known a few people that went to live there and they said they loved it there. And of course nothing is perfect and there are some really sad parts about it. Especially aspects of the sex trade. But they also claimed the people where generous and warm to them and not murderous at all. Who knows I've never been there but I'd go there before Myanmar formerly known as Burma. I hear there are some really crazy insane things going on there including people going to jail for saying mean things about the leaders pet dog.
Yeah we have a huge population here of Burmese trying to escape the area. I don’t blame them.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I guess my issue is the value of life there... whether human or animal... is shockingly low.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco

An industry worth 6.4 billion. Very moral. ?
I have to admit, I thought that the term "Bangkok Sunset" was some sort of perverse sexual act that I hadn't heard of.

I had already put it on my bucket list and started yoga practice to increase my flexibility.

But actually, Thailand is an amazing country. It's not just Bangkok. Chang Mai is well worth a visit, there are some great possibilities for motorcycle tours in the North, and the food is just incredible.

Don't let you opinion of a country or place get formed with just one aspect of it!

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Mrs Cosmic and I have been talking about doing a train trip across India for a few years, but things keep coming up.
I spent 6 weeks traveling around India around 25 years ago. Absolutely fascinating--the most non-Western place that I had ever been. Exhilarating, exhausting, mesmerizing--you name it. The sights, sounds and smells hit us from the second we got off the plane and didn't leave us until we were leaving. Of course, there's a lot of Western "sophistication" as well, don't get me wrong.

We then flew on to Thailand for 6 weeks. It was like an adult Disneyland in comparison. Travel was so easy, people were friendly, food was fresh and great.

Of course, globalization of tourism has changed these places greatly since then.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I have to admit, I thought that the term "Bangkok Sunset" was some sort of perverse sexual act that I hadn't heard of.

I had already put it on my bucket list and started yoga practice to increase my flexibility.

But actually, Thailand is an amazing country. It's not just Bangkok. Chang Mai is well worth a visit, there are some great possibilities for motorcycle tours in the North, and the food is just incredible.

Don't let you opinion of a country or place get formed with just one aspect of it!
You’re right I’m sure I am ignorant of any good things going on there. Just never heard of them... also the huge numbers of immigrants from there makes me think the US might be a bit better in most ways. ?

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
You’re right I’m sure I am ignorant of any good things going on there. Just never heard of them... also the huge numbers of immigrants from there makes me think the US might be a bit better in most ways. ?
The country has issues, no doubt--poverty, censorship, etc. But any place is always richer than the typical stereotype images of it.

For example, I live in San Francisco. People who don't live here think it's some way-left dystopia that's being destroyed by huge tech companies and their employees who price everyone else out. When in fact...

...oh, maybe scratch what I said above about reality not conforming to stereotypes!

Status
Not open for further replies.