Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
Hi all.

I've noticed that if I smoke in the late afternoon or evening, I inevitably wake up with a bad taste in my mouth and a slightly irritated throat. This happens even on nights that I have dinner after smoking, and I always brush my teeth and rinse with mouthwash before bed. I take my time and smoke slowly, so I'm fairly certain I'm not "scorching" my mouth and throat or anything like that. I DO, however, retrohale quite often - almost 80% of the time. Could this be a contributing factor?

Anyhow, I was just curious if anyone else experiences this issue and if you have found any ways to remedy it. Thanks for your advice!

Reactions: JOHN72

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
What are you smoking? Try smoking a different (lighter) blend late in the afternoon.
It just kind of depends on my mood, but I typically gravitate towards light aromatics or straight virginias / burleys. Last night was Shepherd's Pie, so a heavier blend than usual. I'll keep this in mind, thank you!

Reactions: JOHN72

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
I guess I've just accepted this as a byproduct of smoking. If I wake up with a bad taste in my mouth, I just fire up another bowl and wash it all down with a few mugs of steaming black coffee, lol. In all seriousness, perhaps smoking something lighter in the evening may help or maybe abstain from the evening smoke.

I smoke my heaviest nicotine blends before bed, because it helps me just drift off to sleep afterwards. I won't ever win any awards for smelling pretty when I wake up in the morning, but I never have a sore throat from just smoking. I also don't retrohale, because my sinuses just won't handle it. Maybe that has something to do with it.

David D. Davidson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2023
Canada
I find a pretty rigorous routine of tooth brushing, flossing, tongue scraping, mouthwash, and tons of water almost always does the trick. A big part of it in my inexpert opinion is that smoking dries out your mouth, so I always make sure I drink a lot of water before bed and keep a big glass beside me for when I wake up with a dry mouth at three AM. A dry mouth is a stinky mouth in the morning, and it also increases tooth decay.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
@Snook

I was wondering if you scrape off the plaque that may be coating your tongue. Brushing your teeth and using mouthwash before going to bed may not be enough to get the gunk that gets trapped between the papillae of your tongue. Some people use tongue scrapers, but you can also drag tightened floss across the surface—you’d be surprised how much plaque comes off.

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
I guess I've just accepted this as a byproduct of smoking. If I wake up with a bad taste in my mouth, I just fire up another bowl and wash it all down with a few mugs of steaming black coffee, lol. In all seriousness, perhaps smoking something lighter in the evening may help or maybe abstain from the evening smoke.
If anything, I'm just glad I'm not the only one... hah. Coffee fixes everything!
I find a pretty rigorous routine of tooth brushing, flossing, tongue scraping, mouthwash, and tons of water almost always does the trick. A big part of it in my inexpert opinion is that smoking dries out your mouth, so I always make sure I drink a lot of water before bed and keep a big glass beside me for when I wake up with a dry mouth at three AM. A dry mouth is a stinky mouth in the morning, and it also increases tooth decay.
That's a good point, I could definitely be better about drinking water when smoking. Or even just in general. I'll give it a try and start drinking some during and after I smoke, see if it helps.
@Snook

I was wondering if you scrape off the plaque that may be coating your tongue. Brushing your teeth and using mouthwash before going to bed may not be enough to get the gunk that gets trapped between the papillae of your tongue. Some people use tongue scrapers, but you can also drag tightened floss across the surface—you’d be surprised how much plaque comes off.
I always just use the regular bristle part of the brush on my tongue. I'll try the scraper side or maybe the floss trick and see what I can get with that. Thank you for the tip!
For me the solution was uncased, non-topped tobacco. The strength of the tobacco was not the problem. The flavorings and sugars were
Very interesting... I'll experiment with this and see if I can notice a difference with cased vs. uncased tobaccos.
Heavy tobacco use will result in this situation. You are smoking 45 min to an hour or more. What do you expect? Fresh morning breath, and flowers and rainbows out of your ass? It's the nature of the beast we are dealing with.
Just wondering if it afflicts us all; I guess that answers my question!

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
One other thought: drinking water, brushing your teeth, scraping your tongue, Biotene, etc, are all good, but those tobacco odorants are also lodging in your throat and back of the tongue where you can't do as much to scrub them clean. (Sure, you don't inhale, but the smoke is circulating in that region just the same.) So that stuff has to exfoliate in its own time before it stops stinking up your breath.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Another thing to try that's not mentioned, is while you're having the pipe, it's a good idea to drink plenty of water during the smoking session, if you're not already doing that. Coffee works well too, as long as you can still sleep afterwards (or if you can tolerate the taste of decaf).