PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even my collection of old 21 jewel railroad watches would someday wear out, in constant service. It would take awhile, but it would happen.
The whole point of setting a ruby at each moving part of a watch (of a jewel watch) is to prevent the metal from wearing and fatiguing at that point... making it live eternally. Otherwise, why bother going to the expense, effort, and difficulty of making a jewel watch?

Maybe it is just shotguns that wear out? But, even then, I would think that it would merely be the firing pin and maybe some moving parts that can be easily replaced.

Nope, it is just people that eventually wear out to death. If taken care of, pipes, shotguns, and watches should live on way past us, and our kin.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
The whole point of setting a ruby at each moving part of a watch (of a jewel watch) is to prevent the metal from wearing and fatiguing at that point... making it live eternally. Otherwise, why bother going to the expense, effort, and difficulty of making a jewel watch?

Maybe it is just shotguns that wear out? But, even then, I would think that it would merely be the firing pin and maybe some moving parts that can be easily replaced.

Nope, it is just people that eventually wear out to death. If taken care of, pipes, shotguns, and watches should live on way past us, and our kin.
Yep, firing pins, springs, wear on small moving parts in shotguns or rifles or handguns and the biggest of all destroyers - corrosion from improper maintenance. I've got a 70 year old .22 semi auto rifle that belonged to one of my grandpas - heavy as heck, but shoots like a dream for what was a budget Remington back in the day - he took care of it. Have some 62-71 year old handguns in mint condition that work flawlessly (no safe queens here) and one in particular that is a perfect little carry and no doubts about its reliability.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Wood will deteriorate. But if taken care of, it will take very long time before it will become unusable.
Exactly... we have wooden relics still in existence and well preserved from 11,000 years ago, the Shigir Idol and many Russian items as well. I don't see why a pipe would be any different. None of my pipes lose anything when smoked. If anything they gain a microscopic cake, which can be removed.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
My dad owned only one pipe at a time and smoked from just after breakfast until bedtime nearly every day until the pipe bowl cracked or burnt up. A child's concept of time is undependable, but as I recall, most pipes lasted about two years smoked like this. He smoked only Granger from the foil pouch, beginning at age fifteen, and quitting cold turkey at 65 to take a job on a non-smoking campus, and departed life at age 89 licensed to drive without glasses, living at home.
If the +*^}% do gooders hadn’t caused him to quit his daily nicotine therapy he might have reached a hundred, but do gooders are a positively a plaque the world around, today.

Reactions: sandollars

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri

My grandfather had a younger brother, named Elmer, who volunteered for service in World War One. Elmer was 31 in 1917, married with two children, and the agonies of his pacifist old time Christian mother at her youngest volunteering for overseas service can only be imagined.

The pride of his veteran father, who volunteered for the 12th Missouri United States Volunteer cavalry, and rode hind guard at Broadus in Company M, to face Roman Nose, can also only be speculated.

My grandfather stayed home to farm, and Elmer went to war.

When Elmer returned to the farm in 1919 his mother was dead of the Spanish flu and his father left an invalid, who would die still bedridden in 1920.

When the old man died, my grandfather got a government loan to buy out the other heirs and Elmer received 60 acres as his share. He and my grandfather fenced the entire place, at that time.

Every big hedge corner post they set, I still use today, not counting those removed when a black top road divided the farm in 1952. I had one pulled that was older than 1920, that was by a big red barn built in 1903 and visible in a period photograph.. The part underground was still fresh. I had it used somewhere else, I needed fenced.

A big hedge post lasts so long and gets so hard, you can’t drive a steeple in it. I leave one strand of the old wire as a reminder of how many fence wires those corner posts have outlasted. Some are on their third fence, others on four. My father told me all this, and he’s in Plum Grove now for fifty years.

Will a hedge corner post last forever?

They are looking sort of rough and ragged after a century, and I suppose eventually they’ll rot away, maybe an inch every century, or something on that order. It will take awhile.

They should last me my time, and my children’s time, for sure. After that surely my heirs can buy another one for about $20, and replace them.

Elmer lost his sixty acres to his sister, in 1936 for the sum of $200, which enabled him to make a fresh start in Bakersfield California.

He died in 1946, and he never saw Humansville again.

My father raised and sold enough hogs in 1943, to buy back Elmer’s sixty for $900. His mother was so furious at the aunt who demanded a $700 profit she had to be restrained from taking a gun and killing her. She never forgave or forgot such profiteering, but my father did. We were there at her bedside when she died in 1966.

I think of that, as I drive by the corner posts that Elmer and my grandfather set, still in service a century later.

Nothing lasts forever, except old Fords, and a natural stone.

OLD FORDS AND A NAURAL STONE

My grandfather had a younger brother, named Elmer, who volunteered for service in World War One. Elmer was 31 in 1917, married with two children, and the agonies of his pacifist old time Christian mother at her youngest volunteering for overseas service can only be imagined.

The pride of his veteran father, who volunteered for the 12th Missouri United States Volunteer cavalry, and rode hind guard at Broadus in Company M, to face Roman Nose, can also only be speculated.

My grandfather stayed home to farm, and Elmer went to war.

When Elmer returned to the farm in 1919 his mother was dead of the Spanish flu and his father left an invalid, who would die still bedridden in 1920.

When the old man died, my grandfather got a government loan to buy out the other heirs and Elmer received 60 acres as his share. He and my grandfather fenced the entire place, at that time.

Every big hedge corner post they set, I still use today, not counting those removed when a black top road divided the farm in 1952. I had one pulled that was older than 1920, that was by a big red barn built in 1903 and visible in a period photograph.. The part underground was still fresh. I had it used somewhere else, I needed fenced.

A big hedge post lasts so long and gets so hard, you can’t drive a steeple in it. I leave one strand of the old wire as a reminder of how many fence wires those corner posts have outlasted. Some are on their third fence, others on four. My father told me all this, and he’s in Plum Grove now for fifty years.

Will a hedge corner post last forever?

They are looking sort of rough and ragged after a century, and I suppose eventually they’ll rot away, maybe an inch every century, or something on that order. It will take awhile.

They should last me my time, and my children’s time, for sure. After that surely my heirs can buy another one for about $20, and replace them.

Elmer lost his sixty acres to his sister, in 1936 for the sum of $200, which enabled him to make a fresh start in Bakersfield California.

He died in 1946, and he never saw Humansville again.

My father raised and sold enough hogs in 1943, to buy back Elmer’s sixty for $900. His mother was so furious at the aunt who demanded a $700 profit she had to be restrained from taking a gun and killing her. She never forgave or forgot such profiteering, but my father did. We were there at her bedside when she died in 1966.

I think of that, as I drive by the corner posts that Elmer and my grandfather set, still in service a century later.

Nothing lasts forever, except old Fords, and a natural stone.

OLD FORDS AND A NAURAL STONE

That’s a long and winding “post,” long enough to overwind a watch. And, I have no idea why I was quoted at the beginning. This is one of the rare moments when someone sets me up for a perfect zinger that boarders on rude and hilarious, but I’m walking away. Look everyone…. I’m…. backing…. away…. slowly…. puffy

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
That’s a long and winding “post,” long enough to overwind a watch. And, I have no idea why I was quoted at the beginning. This is one of the rare moments when someone sets me up for a perfect zinger that boarders on rude and hilarious, but I’m walking away. Look everyone…. I’m…. backing…. away…. slowly…. puffy
Wait............ I'm confused........... are you Elmer?.............

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
seriously the people who I've seen break pipes smoke them super hot. I think over heating a pipe is what will damage it. I've seen smokers have one pipe for many years. I have one pipe that I smoked pretty much exclusively for years or decades really. And it doesn't show that much ware even without much care being put into it until recently.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Pipes don't turn black from the absorption of tars. Whoever told you that knows nothing about pipes. That's a myth, like the earth being flat and the danger of sailing off the end of it.

How do we know this? By evidence, pipes with decades of hard service that have been cut in half, revealing little penetration of the wood by tars and oils.

Pipes will darken a little from heat, but most of that darkening is just an accretion of smoke and skin grease. Most of that blackening will clean right off.

Might this not be because Lees were terrible smokers and got left in the drawer and the Kaywoodies got put to use because they were an infinitely preferable pipe to smoke?

You know, when James Stewart's agent negotiated a very lucrative contract for him, Stewart went out and bought his agent a special gift to celebrate a million dollar contract, and that was when a million dollars was real money. And do you know what gift James Stewart bought his agent, a gift for a million dollar contract?

James Stewart got his agent a cased set of Kaywoodies to celebrate that contract. To James Stewart, a real pipe man, that was a gift worth a million dollars. He knew those pipes weren't going to go in a drawer and stay unused, like those Lees you're referring to.
And here I wasn't sure if he had any teeth. I guess he does. :)

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Way back in 1911............. my grandaddy had a custom leather condom made..............
This thing has been in our family ever since. It will outlast those hedge posts, because we keep it well oiled......... I can't wait to pass it down to my son-in-law.........
They don't make them like that anymore......... Man, I can smell the bacon and eggs a cookin' now.......

Status
Not open for further replies.