Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Good evening. It's McClelland's Anniversary in

the Pickaxe. Best to all.

http://pipesmagazine.com/members/fred/album/picture/582

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
It's a 1Q sorta night... in my case in my 1/2 bent Dr. Grabow Omega. Working in the garage, putting together my new compound miter saw, and christening it making a display rack for my daughter's karate belts. Can't tell you much about the smoke, since I was concentrating on the woodworking... but it was a fine experience nonetheless.
Simon

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
While my last post says that I posted an hour ago.

It's more like an hour 45 minutes.

Well I thought I'd let the new pipe rest.......

tap....tap...tap...tap....

Ok.... that's long enough, time for a second bowl of 1Q in my new Johs Bulldog.

This is going to be a Kick Butt slooooooow smoker..
Raymond..... stand by to stand by.... :)

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
haha well I just commented on how big your new bulldog looked, so lets hope you will take out Raymond next slow smoke contest.
1Q in my big sandblasted basket pipe... going for a slow smoke tonight.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I talked to Raymond today. He's pushing the 2 hour mark.

He's "in training", and said if he can make it to the 2 hour 10 minutes, he'll break into the top 6 at the International Competition in October. The current record holder will be in the field. "3 hours, 33 minutes and change", that's hard to fathom.
Raymond will be one though nut to crack at Skip's annual slow smoke.

I have a chance.... just like a snowball in the proverbial blast-furnace.
But, I'm going to give him a run for his money.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I couldn't wait until tomorrow to try out the Maggiore.

Sasieni Balkan.
The bowl on this one huge as well. Measured by the most accurate means available it is right up to the second knuckle of my index finger.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Been offline all day today, but smoking nonetheless: P.A. and C&D's Or Olam.
Most recently, I started breaking in a new Invicta bulldog with its first ½-bowl of C&D's Night Train.

I swabbed the interior of the bare bowl with a thin coat of honey. That's an unusual thing for me to do.

I usually don't do any prepping. I wanted to see if there's any difference in the break-in process.

Russ Ouellette will probably be thinking: "Doesn't anyone heed my advice?"

In his blog space at PipesAndCigars he wrote:
[At issue is] treating the chamber with fluids like honey or saliva to accelerate the build up of cake.

I strongly disagree with this approach. Using anything to expedite the development of a carbon layer

generally leads to a soft crumbly cake. Then, when you ream the chamber, the carbon can come out

in chunks, leaving thin or bare spots where the heat can attack the wood.

Well, I'll see if there's any tendency for that to happen.

juozapas

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2010
Barrie,Ontario,CANADA
mypipes004-2.jpg

I am really really really....did I say really ?? impressed with this pouch !!

There are little pressed flakes with the lights and darks in the tobacco...and the flavor is spectacular...I am amazed...

Nice posts by everybody...love it, love it,....

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
A cup of coffee, the Sunday morning paper, and a bowl of P.A.

Wow ! (... and to think, there actually are people who wonder why we smoke pipes!)

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I am really really really....did I say really ?? impressed with this pouch !!

There are little pressed flakes with the lights and darks in the tobacco...and the flavor is spectacular...I am amazed...

Nice posts by everybody...love it, love it,..
I'm glad it worked out for you, it bit me like a Cobra, worse case of tongue bite ever.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Good morning. It's Escudo in the

Bauer Prince. Best to all.

http://pipesmagazine.com/members/fred/album/picture/816

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Continuing to work on breaking-in my Invicta bulldog, using ½-bowls each

of C&D's Or Olam and Night Train. Going slow and keeping the

temperature low.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
When it comes to breaking-in a new pipe I'm very old-school. Since I prefer larger pipes, I fill it about 1/4 full for the first 5 or 6 bowls, then 1/2 for 5 or 6 more ending with 3/4 full for 5 or 6 bowls. I know that many of the current "experts" say that this isn't necessary. They could be right, but I know that this procedure has always worked well for me.
Building a good cake is crucial to ending up with a pipe that smokes well. As you smoke a pipe, the moisture in the tobacco is converted to steam, which carries with it a lot of the tars that are in the tobacco. Some of this steam/tar mixture escapes from the top of the bowl, this is what causes the build up on the rim, Unless you're using a torch lighter (DON'T use a torch lighter on a pipe. EVER!) that is not "charring", it's accumulated tar and will clean off easily if you don't let it build up. The majority of the steam/tar is drawn through the pipe and into your mouth. When this steam hits the heel of the bowls it slows down as it is forced to change direction into the shank. This allows some of the steam to condense, which causes water and tar to accumulate there.
It's critical to the long-term "health" of your pipe to build a protective cake in the heel area. If you don't, the wood will absorb that moisture and tar. Be honest, if you start out a new pipe with a full bowl are you ALWAYS going to smoke it to the bottom? Probably not. A new pipe burns hot and even the best of them have a somewhat unpleasant taste until they begin to season. If I just spent $100 or $200 for a pipe, I want it to give me the very best smoke that's possible. For me, it's worth using a little patience to do it in a way that I know will help ensure that result. It may not be necessary, but in 44 years of pipe smoking I've broken in several hundred pipes so I'll continue to do what I can to protect the investment I have in my briar.

juozapas

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2010
Barrie,Ontario,CANADA
I just purchased this at the variety store. It comes in 40g not the usual 50g ??

mypipes017.jpg
mypipes019-2.jpg

Mac Baren Cherry Choice...I know it's rated as a light smoke..but I so far like the company's products....I can't wait...Hmmmmm...

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Good afternoon. It's Schurch Tabake No. 199

in the Bauer Bulldog. Best to all.

http://pipesmagazine.com/members/fred/album/picture/847

Status
Not open for further replies.