PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
So, apparently, the "doc" was not a doctor, was a convicted felon, and not just apparently, howls like a bitch in heat.
Kirk- While I abhor the delays TSA has introduced, and the general demise of genteel travel, it doesn't stop me and my family from enjoying destinations too far to drive to. I've never been fondled or probed in any airport. My biggest annoyance was being told I couldn't board with my pipe tool.

downinit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2016
David Dao, the passenger in question, is a doctor.
From the Atlanta Journal Constitution:

Dao was ultimately convicted in late 2004 of several counts of obtaining drugs (for sex) by fraud or deceit and was placed on five years of supervised probation and surrendered his medical license.

His longtime effort to get his license back finally succeeded in 2015, when the licensing board allowed him to practice medicine again.
He was also known to have mental problems, especially when dealing with difficult situations.

From the LA Times:

According to publicly available state licensing records reviewed by the Los Angeles Times, Dao has a history of mental health problems, including depression, anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder, for which he has received treatment. A 2011 psychological evaluation of Dao concluded that he "lacked the foundation to navigate difficult situations, both inter-personally and in a complex profession.”

That evaluation also said Dao has struggled with “poor decision-making” and a “lack of awareness around his personality and relational issues.” The records said Dao had been previously cited by a hospital in the 2000s for “disruptive conduct” and was ordered to seek evaluation for “anger management” issues. In 2002, another doctor wrote that Dao sometimes “unilaterally chose to do his own thing.”

But another psychological evaluation administered in 2013 concluded that Dao “emotionally was free of debilitating anxiety, depression, or psychological turmoil to the extent that it would affect his ability to function in activities of daily living or manage the practice of medicine.”

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
See? I told you guys yesterday. He needs an emotional support yak.
True. And I'm guessing they targeted people flying alone to be booted...so if he had a second seat for the Yak he likely would not have been chosen to evacuate.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Doesn't matter. They should be able to deal with someone who has a mental issue without resorting to a beat down. In fact, it kind of makes it worse.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Dread- Who is "they"? I believe that that "they" is the local airport security detail, or perhaps the Chicago police. And while they mishandled him, force was necessary to get the fellow off the plane. Once he became traumatized- or whatever state he was in- he couldn't be left on the plane even if they had plenty of seats as he was disturbing other passengers a great deal.
Edit- Good point Dan on Jesse's dark humor.
Errata: I recall hearing that the doc AND his wife had earlier volunteered to give up seats.... Only once, on one news report. Anyone else hear about that?? True, not true? Or maybe his wife was a yak.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
You're making stuff up now to justify your position. The other passengers were bothered and traumatized by the goons that beat him up, not him.
Edit to add: you also "hear" a lot of stuff that is unsubstantiated.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You're making stuff up now to justify your position. The other passengers were bothered and traumatized by the goons that beat him up, not him.
Yes, they were by both the force used and by the actions of the doc. Once that state had been reached there was no turning back: he had to be off the plane.
Edit to add: you also "hear" a lot of stuff that is unsubstantiated.
Is that meant to insult? I quite clearly indicated I heard one item that was unsubstantiated, and asked if others had heard the same. Where does "a lot of stuff" come from?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If he had a Yak, and it was a girl Yak, he would have had Yak milk. Yak milk is very soothing.
Then they really would have had to beat the stuffing out of him: It's a felony to breast feed on a plane on a domestic flight. Five years with a chance of probation after three...... I'd rather make jokes about yakking it up, but I just can't.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
You didn't indicate that the guy "supposedly" not being a doc was unsubstantiated. And that fact would be irrelevant to the beat down he recieved. It muddies the waters when a case isn't documented, but when one is as well documented as this one it is meaningless beyond attempting to malign the victim of the assault.
The argument that the guy who got beaten down by the goon squad somehow traumatized the other passengers also strains credulity. But for the actions of the goons, no one was traumatized. I can't find a report where anyone claims to have been traumatized by the man. Maybe those tough goons were emotionally traumatized by it, though, because bullies are emotionally fragile folks.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It's clear where you are emotionally with this affair, with constant use of "goons" and "beatdowns". We differ, but I should have shut up after writing that no one had enough facts to make a real judgement. Still don't.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Why does everyone keep saying the plane was overbooked? All the paying customers had seats until ual decided they needed to move their crew! So poor planning by ual created this problem not overbooking the flight.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
"So poor planning by ual created this problem not overbooking the flight. "
Not quite.
The problem was created by how the gate crew chose to remove people from the flight. If they had simply just offered up money, then kept increasing the offer until 4 seats were free, all would have been well and we never would have heard about it.
Instead they targeted 4 people for compulsory removal, and one of those four happened to be a convicted felon with alleged mental instability issues. A perfect storm.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I'm no lawyer, but the fact that three folks de-planed without violence or a big scene will be used to bolster the airlines case. It is going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I am a lawyer, and almost all of the cards are in the airline's favor, though it isn't over until the proverbial fat lady sings.

Status
Not open for further replies.