PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
If I pay for a service and the company gladly takes my money for said service, then I expect them to carry out their part of the contract. If I buy a ticket in advance, show up on the date and time, claim the seat that I was assigned and paid for in advanced; then why should I have to give up my seat for the company "over-booking" the flight and/or needing to move a few company employees. Them over-booking the flight is not my problem if I paid for the flight in advanced, and it's also not my problem that they need to move some employees. So because the company screwed up, I get screwed and have to alter my plans. That's complete BS, and if the compensation was so good then why did only 3 people take the offer. Couldn't have been that good of compensation. Horrible planning and customer service on United's part.
They should have realized the flight was over-booked before seating individuals and made the offer's at that point instead of trying to remove someone after everyone was seated. Again, horrible planning and customer service on United's part.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
...in fact, come to think of it, I bet if they would have just offered the poor guy a hot pocket to go he would have been ok with the whole thing.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I just saw the story on the national news. Of course, Jmatt is right, the airline writes the service agreement and like all such contracts, they agree that they have all rights and you have none. So of course, they go in there like a bull in a china closet because no Washington lawmaker writes a regulation forcing the airlines to better behavior, instead, makes it a FELONY if you don't jump when they say boo, no matter how wrong they might be at the moment.
Just imagine for the moment the doctor was a special brain surgeon flying to perform life-saving surgery in the morning and now that child dies.
Since the airline is Big Government now, they never stop to listen and actually consider the customer; legally, they have all rights and nothing they do is a felony but everything you might do (or not do) is, and so, this is what you have happen.
If they treated a dog that poorly, you would have a dozen organizations suing them on animal rights and cruelty.
It's all very legal and all very screwed up. You are less than a dog to the airline.
Whatever the airline says or does now won't be out of any sense of contriteness, but rather just to limit public image damage. All aboard.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
Brian, that has been my point this entire time.
Digger, my point is, a few hundred dollars & a hot pocket isn't worth being kicked from your flight to some people. Someone might have a funeral to attend, a wedding, they could be a doctor performing a life-saving surgery. It's totally fucked up for United to kick a guy off who has to be somewhere and paid to be taken somewhere at a specific time JUST to send some of their employees. I don't get the greedy big corporation defending here where the little guy is getting fucked

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
What a mess. I've given up my seat a few times. It's an inconvenience, but not a tragedy, and the airlines involved did their best to get me to where I needed to be as soon as possible. On one occasion TWA flew me and my crew from NYC back to LA on an otherwise unoccupied plane that was being relocated and provided amazing service to us for being so cooperative. Of course, I haven't flown Untied Airlines in decades.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The last time I flew anywhere was appx 2003. And, Lord willing, I will never fly again. I figured out a long time ago the whole airline/TSA situation is one giant Orwellian-police-state-clusterf*ck, and I do not want to voluntarily put myself in that type of environment.
I do feel sorry for anyone who has to fly somewhere for whatever reason, but IMO, people need to clearly understand going into it that you're entering a militarized environment, and if you decide to start arguing with one of the "authorities" in such an environment, you're likely to end up like the good Doctor in today's story...or worse.
And that's just the way it is...because every congressional election cycle, we the people return appx 96% of incumbents back into office. So don't expect anything to change.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I flew in 1996 on business to Atlanta to resolve a technical dilemma with the '96 Olympics."
So there would have been no '96 Olympics without your timely intervention...well done you :clap:
Tell me though Toob, exactly how big is your trumpet? It appears to get bigger by the day :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
We've been doing the college visit thing with our daughter, and have taken the train wherever possible. Two weeks ago we went to Pittsburgh and on Thursday, we'll board an Amtrak train for Burlington, Vermont. Lots of leg room, no luggage restrictions, no lines, no security, no pat downs, body scans or SWAT entry teams. We bring a gourmet picnic, complete with wine and there's usually a couple of stops where there's time to step out for a quick bowl of John Cotton's.
It's the only way to fly.

original_OWL-B-W-sitting-on-luggage-Nw_873-O-Winston-Link.jpg

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
This
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/text-of-letter-from-united-ceo-defending-employees/ar-BBzGiwF?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

Sure, the guy was a putz, breaking the law, but what we all (law enforcement also) fails to ever take into consideration is the mental capacity of the person/s involved. Whether it's a traffic incident or a dork on a plane, people should be treated (at least) better than just being dragged off. In talking with my wife's brother who is an officer in NC, it seemed to piss him off everytime policemen abuse their power like this. It definitely doesn't show their genre of careers in a positive light. A mistake in booking of a flight you paid for long in advance, or a traffic stop, or even shoplifting should not be a death sentence, nor should being a dork while resisting arrest.

I have quite a few family members who are in law enforcement on many levels, and I have yet to find one who would be proud of policemen acting in this way.

Personally, I would have given up my seat, when first asked, because I have a deep gentlemanly regard for others. I will gladly give my cell phone to a policeman, as well as the password. I will follow all instructions given to me. I even still have all of my damn tags on my pillows out of respect for the law, but not every one in this world has the same mental capacity, whether an illness or emotions, or even fear. And, it boils my blood to see an officer like this do his job in such a manner that brings dishonor to others working in this noble field.
Is a tostada like a Mexican pizza? Hmmm, or could a grill cheese be a pizza? What all "has" to be included to be defined as pizza?

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I always thought of a grilled cheese more as a crouton than a pizza; however my kids dip their grilled cheese in tomato soup so maybe it is a pizza?

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Little factual/accurate information in this thread. United bumped passengers so they could get a flight crew to Louisville. Chicago PD was called but airport security showed up first. Passenger had his head/face slammed into armrest and was knocked out and dragged away. Chicago PD said he accidentally hit is head and then retracted the statement when the videos came out. Security guard was suspended. United apologized and will pay up on this one. As a reformed amubulance chaser I would take this case any day, every day. Look at these pictures and consider the facts, which are sorely lacking herein. BTW, I normally fly United and I upgraded to new their new platinum club level,

The United Fight Club
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4396986/Passengers-film-moment-police-drag-man-United-plane.html

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
I normally fly United and I upgraded to new their new platinum club level,

The United Fight Club
You just broke the first rule of United Fight Club. Please be prepared for your own face/armrest meet-and-greet the next time you fly.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
Little factual/accurate information in this thread.

Your reading comprehension is off. Every single fact you cite has already been discussed in this thread.
And oh, by the way, as I write this UAL is down $3.00 per share today (4.19%) times 330 million shares. So that's a knee-jerk public relations hit of $990 million. Nice price to pay for four one-way crew seats.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
@Cosmic- Like you, I am a pretty rigid rule follower. However, you should check your pillow/mattress tags more closely. They say "not to be removed EXCEPT BY CONSUMER". Meaning the wholesaler or retailer cannot remove them, but as soon as you buy the item, you are perfectly free to remove the tags. Breathe a sigh of relief, my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.