PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Yes. Sometimes.

Members that have relationships with each other are known to send each other samples and gifts.

I have done the above. I will also mention, I along with other members, quite frequently include a sample or two when we barter, sell and trade pipes.

Just my .02 YMMV
Same and actually sending something out tomorrow!

Great community.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The pipe shop my Grandfather went to 40 odd years ago used to let you sample the various tobaccos. Today, I think the best you can do is buy an ounce. As for private individuals, I suppose you might find someone willing to do it...but I suspect it's not something people would do online. Nothing's free anymore, unfortunately.
I thought stores still did that. Often if you ask about a blend that is in a jar they seem ready to offer letting you pack a bowl.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Here in ?? UK we can buy samples from our online vendors. I regularly pick up various 10g pouches for a few £’s each. I have noticed recently they are all clearly stating ‘we can no longer ship to the ?? USA’ . What y’all gone and done? ??
really stupid law actually. And I am not in the regulations are bad camp. But really stupid laws that were in part written by the large tobacco companies.

jwesthurl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 27, 2022
St. Louis
I think you're thinking too much from your perspective.

I understand the desire of a 'sample lot' for the buyer... But why would the private seller go through all that trouble? It's just not practical for any seller who's just trying to move a few blends they jarred but did not like.
I guess they don’t go to the trouble and that answers my question. Practically, I’m sure this happens mainly between friends swapping blends.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipe shows used to have sample tables. I remember Lane had a table at one of the pipe shows in Raleigh, N.C. (TAPS). But that was about eight years ago. I think they've lowered the boom on that now, and it isn't done. In those days, jiminks was at the show and offered me a bowl of EGR that he'd just worked to revive from oblivion, and I learned it is really good. I'm looking at a tin from where I sit. One of the online retailers back then sent me a sample of Briar Fox with an order for some other blends. At the time, it seemed a little mild to me, but I might try it again some time.

Reactions: JimInks

jwesthurl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 27, 2022
St. Louis
Pipe shows used to have sample tables. I remember Lane had a table at one of the pipe shows in Raleigh, N.C. (TAPS). But that was about eight years ago. I think they've lowered the boom on that now, and it isn't done. In those days, jiminks was at the show and offered me a bowl of EGR that he'd just worked to revive from oblivion, and I learned it is really good. I'm looking at a tin from where I sit. One of the online retailers back then sent me a sample of Briar Fox with an order for some other blends. At the time, it seemed a little mild to me, but I might try it again some time.
Lane was just at the STL pipe show and they sell samples for a minimum cost.

Reactions: Streeper541

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
As others have said, developing friendships and becoming part of the community is the way to go about it.
When I asked here in a thread if anyone in America could help me acquire blends at no cost to them I didn't receive a single reply.

Many of us are a bit jaded from helping others and often not hearing from the recipient again.
Tobacco is extremely expensive here. No longer will I send 'samples' to those I don't know.

The only way around the outrageous price here is to grow ones own.
To encourage others I send tobacco seeds free of charge and have sent seeds to around 30 fellow Aussies at my cost.
Would you believe that I'm still waiting to hear from 3 of the 5 last recipients that they received the seeds much less a thank-you? Ugh.

It's just the price of the envelope and stamp [the seeds are collected from my plants] so I'll continue to send seeds to anyone who asks but buggered if I'll send them any of my precious stash of tobacco.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Nothing... just another one of those "freedoms" our legislators don't think us lowly citizens hace the ability to manage on our own
Oh woe is us, we poor, trampled Americans. These rules, regs and laws are aimed at smokers. Nothing personal in any of them, we poor woebegone smokers, so picked on. This has been going on since before many of the members were even alive. So, long in fact we need to quit feeling so sorry for ourselves and our personal choices to smoke. It's nothing new nor radical. So, unbunch your panties kids, load up a bowl and enjoy. Quit feeling sorry for yourselves. You wanted to smoke a pipe, actions have consequences, none of which should be a surprise or reason to feel put upon. You knew! Or, should have! Damn! We are a self-pitying, whining bunch! You picked the vice, live with the consequences and man up and enjoy it! There's always the alternative.

J-Evverrett

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2021
Meriden, CT
I have found, if you’re standing in a tobacconist with a pipe in your mouth, and a small portion of a bulk of curiosity falls into your pipe, nobody would blame you for smoking it lol. Private swap/deal between friends? It’s only gentlemanly, so maybe. Otherwise, a lot of tobacco sellers offer sampler packs of multiple blends in small amounts for sale.

• Haha
Reactions: jwesthurl

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
I'm not even asking to get free samples here in the US. Its incredibly annoying to have to buy an minimum of an ounce (sometimes two ounces!!!) when all I need is between 7-10g (perhaps even less) to see if I like something or not. I see this in the UK/EU and am jealous.

So yeah buying by the gram for "samplers" would be great.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I'm not even asking to get free samples here in the US. Its incredibly annoying to have to buy an minimum of an ounce (sometimes two ounces!!!) when all I need is between 7-10g (perhaps even less) to see if I like something or not. I see this in the UK/EU and am jealous.

So yeah buying by the gram for "samplers" would be great.
I can understand that. Some (very few) tobacco shops do 0.5 oz increments. Anything in particular you have been looking to try?

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
I can understand that. Some (very few) tobacco shops do 0.5 oz increments. Anything in particular you have been looking to try?

Nothing that comes in bulk or that could easily be parsed out for samples, unless a gracious B&M or online retailer was willing to open up some GLP samples for people to try. GLP non lat blends really, looking to try Windjammer, Haddos, Stonehenge etc...

Reactions: Jimmy_Jack

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In the U.S., most of us can get sample size one ounce bulk for two or three dollars, sometimes a little less, so here anyway, price is no object. Plus shipping and tax. Your budget is safe.