PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jwesthurl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 27, 2022
St. Louis
I’m only a couple of months into smoking a pipe and I’m trying to explore different tobaccos and discover what I really like but this hobby can expensive real quick! After attending the STL pipe show and picking up a few samples from Lane, Ltd. it has me wondering if any private sellers offer sample lots for new guys to try. I think it’s a great idea and I would love to be able to try a bunch of different stuff without having to buy a full tin or ordering a couple ounces from a bunch of different places.
For instance, I gave this sample lot to my nephew so he could try some of what I have, about 4-5 grams each, enough for a couple bowls. Is this a thing? Because I really want it to be!
B1DBD06E-21D9-4ACB-AC7F-4B40FE921349.jpeg

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Check out the bulk blends. Sometimes they sell it by little as 1 oz. Other than that, 1.75 oz round tin is smallest. Some vendors, mom and pop shop, will send tiny amount to sample their blend if you buy their other blend. Done it before.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, to the one-ounce bulk format. You can try a lot of blends at minimal cost. Or limit yourself to one pouch or one tin for similar limited cost. I suggest new pipe smokers keep their quantities small for about two years, and don't stockpile too many blends. You won't like many blends on the first bowl or the first ounce. Jar them and try them in a year or so, and you may have more evolved tastes. You have to "learn" many blends before you enjoy them. I'd include non-aromatic all Virginia leaf, and all burley leaf, since they are used as the base tobaccos for many blends, and it helps to know how they taste without flavorings or condimental tobaccos. Mainly, take it slow. Don't buy anything in quantity for several years while you learn what you like. Don't take these as rules, just suggestions. Fun and enjoyment are the goal, but it helps to take a relaxed leisurely attitude.

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
The pipe shop my Grandfather went to 40 odd years ago used to let you sample the various tobaccos. Today, I think the best you can do is buy an ounce. As for private individuals, I suppose you might find someone willing to do it...but I suspect it's not something people would do online. Nothing's free anymore, unfortunately.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
The pipe shop my Grandfather went to 40 odd years ago used to let you sample the various tobaccos. Today, I think the best you can do is buy an ounce. Nothing's free anymore, unfortunately.
Yes, some local pipe shops will allow you to "sample" a bowl or two of bulk or whatever house tins they may have open while you're there if you commit to buying something. Always pack a small pipe or cob when traveling!

jwesthurl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 27, 2022
St. Louis
Alright, I guess my great idea isn't a thing, lol. And I can't edit my post to say that I wasn't talking about FREE samples. I've bought plenty of bulk samples, I was just wondering if any private sellers (not companies, b&ms, etc.) offer samples of their stashes for sale.

Irish Piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2022
Munich, Germany
I received a couple of free samples from Estervals that I didn't ask for when I placed an order. Cigarworld.de will also send you free samples of some select brands on request. I guess it's not illegal here in Germany, which I'm quite surprised about. ?

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Alright, I guess my great idea isn't a thing, lol. And I can't edit my post to say that I wasn't talking about FREE samples. I've bought plenty of bulk samples, I was just wondering if any private sellers (not companies, b&ms, etc.) offer samples of their stashes for sale.
I suppose you could post a want ad in the Tobacco Sell/Swap/Search section.

Reactions: LotusEater

Skapie

Might Stick Around
Sep 5, 2017
NSW, Australia
A tobacconist I frequented used to make up sampling packs, with about 12g per sample pack. You’d buy a bunch of different ones (ie couldn’t just buy one sample pack here and there). It was made up of samples of virginia, burley, english / balkan, something with perique, and an aro or two.

He would then recommend that you smoke each on their own, and write down your tasting notes and bring them back to the store, which he would then use to recommend you a tobacco to start you off with properly.

It was a great idea. He also wrote up this whole article on packing and lighting and draw etc etc to assist newcomers, which he would give you when you bought your first pipe from him.

jwesthurl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 27, 2022
St. Louis
A tobacconist I frequented used to make up sampling packs, with about 12g per sample pack. You’d buy a bunch of different ones (ie couldn’t just buy one sample pack here and there). It was made up of samples of virginia, burley, english / balkan, something with perique, and an aro or two.

He would then recommend that you smoke each on their own, and write down your tasting notes and bring them back to the store, which he would then use to recommend you a tobacco to start you off with properly.

It was a great idea. He also wrote up this whole article on packing and lighting and draw etc etc to assist newcomers, which he would give you when you bought your first pipe from him.
That is a great idea! Much better than throwing an aro at a beginner like many shops do.

Reactions: Toast
Jun 23, 2019
Yeah, I was just curious if it was something that people did with their opened or cellared tobaccos. I guess not, lol

I think you're thinking too much from your perspective.

I understand the desire of a 'sample lot' for the buyer... But why would the private seller go through all that trouble? It's just not practical for any seller who's just trying to move a few blends they jarred but did not like.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Yeah, I was just curious if it was something that people did with their opened or cellared tobaccos. I guess not, lol
Yes. Sometimes.

Members that have relationships with each other are known to send each other samples and gifts.

I have done the above. I will also mention, I along with other members, quite frequently include a sample or two when we barter, sell and trade pipes.

Just my .02 YMMV