PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OlJawBone

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2021
California
I know a couple people my age who smoke. I'd say getting them on a codger blend to start them off is probably the way to go. Half and half is the one I have been enjoying recently. I like all kinds of blends but the old school pouch ones just smoke so easy, even if they don't necessarily taste as good.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I know a few people who smoke hookah, but that's about it as far as tobacco goes. Some coworkers who vape.

thedoc333

Might Stick Around
Mar 15, 2021
LA
Social acceptance being more important at our stage of life, we tend to conceal or isolate for usage. Cigars and pipes have always been slightly more acceptable publicly, and as we become more and more curmudgeonly, we will likely continue to transition that way.
Since when did 'social acceptance' dictate what one does or does not do? I smoke pipes but do not cower politely.

Reactions: BlackSwampPiper

Jerry144

Might Stick Around
May 2, 2021
I work in Austin aka 'Millennium Central'. I do see more interest in pipes among younger people. Seems some are thinking counter to the prevailing 'tobacco is evil' mindset. Maybe they are looking for retro/real. Last week my son-in-law had a pipe smoking evening with friends. Just yesterday i saw a hipster riding a bike down Burnet Rd smoking a calabash....

It may be a small trend, but its a positive one...

Jerry144

Might Stick Around
May 2, 2021
Give us some time to settle down and we’ll pick up the pipe in droves, then we’ll apply everything we learned about craft beer to tobacco blends. We’ll drive up prices on artisan pipes and blends and ignore the old favorites to the detriment of the industry.
I laughed at this at first, but then I thought 'wait...that could happen...again...' :0

Reactions: BROBS

BlackSwampPiper

Might Stick Around
May 9, 2021
Ohio
Since when did 'social acceptance' dictate what one does or does not do? I smoke pipes but do not cower politely.
I care how others perceive me often, and sometimes not at all. Social acceptance is important, even an outcast rebel group aspires to be an accepting group within their parameters; some group’s standards just don’t include tobacco. There are many situations and environments where smoking of any type isn’t tolerated. Further, at this stage of our lives courting and raising babies, momma doesn’t like being handed back a baby that smells of Latakia. It’s more likely to register at a later stage, especially if it’s presented as the thrifty way to relax. 10 cigars: $50-80, 10 pipe bowls of any different blend ~$6-8. Or pipe tobacco could be marketed as a “deconstructed cigar” that can be further customized like a bespoke cocktail.

Reactions: fireground_piper
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
You can't become pipe smoker. You're born pipe smoker or you are not.
Since I realized my dna was full bent I have been reborn. ?
None of my friends smoke a pipe and a lot of people can't hide their curiosity seeing a pipe. Those who pretend they don't care break sooner or later with strange looks, smiles or comments on what the hell am I smoking so there's no sweet smell.
Sure you can.

Reactions: BROBS