PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sincerely

Lurker
May 23, 2020
Orygun
Yeah, I'm a millenial.

99% of my friends don't smoke pipes or cigars. Honestly I was against tobacco until a few years ago. I'm still not a fan of cigarettes at all although 99% of my friends smoked them when we were teens through college. Sounds like I had a somewhat similar experience to Americaman. I was a hipster/punk rock/graffiti kid in those years so smoking cigarettes was super normal for both guys and gals. I would take a few drags off of a friends cigarette while pretty under the influence at parties.

I wouldn't be smoking cigars or pipes if I hadn't become a Christian a few years ago. Some of my brothers and mentors/pastors are really into them and when they showed me the most recent longitudinal studies that showed that guys who smoke 2 or less cigars a day didn't really have a statistically significantly higher rate of all cause mortality (and even lower for pipes) I was in.

If the rates on cigars and pipes were even 50% of what cigarettes do, I wouldn't smoke them. Maybe a couple cigars a year rather than a pipe a day and a couple cigars every month like I do now.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Yeah, I'm a millenial.

99% of my friends don't smoke pipes or cigars. Honestly I was against tobacco until a few years ago. I'm still not a fan of cigarettes at all although 99% of my friends smoked them when we were teens through college. Sounds like I had a somewhat similar experience to Americaman. I was a hipster/punk rock/graffiti kid in those years so smoking cigarettes was super normal for both guys and gals. I would take a few drags off of a friends cigarette while pretty under the influence at parties.

I wouldn't be smoking cigars or pipes if I hadn't become a Christian a few years ago. Some of my brothers and mentors/pastors are really into them and when they showed me the most recent longitudinal studies that showed that guys who smoke 2 or less cigars a day didn't really have a statistically significantly higher rate of all cause mortality (and even lower for pipes) I was in.

If the rates on cigars and pipes were even 50% of what cigarettes do, I wouldn't smoke them. Maybe a couple cigars a year rather than a pipe a day and a couple cigars every month like I do now.
You sully the temple

ChippewaAce

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2021
Tennessee
Absolutely do! Born in 1988, started smoking pipes at 17 or 18 and haven't looked back. Couple good friends of mine do as well, same age bracket!

Reactions: OzPiper

jyrreb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 6, 2019
Well I lost interest in reading all 8 pages of this thread but I’ll throw in my input/experience as a Millennial.

started smoking gas station cigars at 18. Premium cigars just a couple months after. Picked up a pipe in college cause I thought it would be cheaper (?). I can usually convince my friends to have a cigar with me on occasion. I’ve not seen another pipe smoker my age in my area, though I’m sure they are out there. I frequent my local cigar lounge and I’m always the youngest by at least 15 years. Can be a little lonely but I enjoy hangin out with all the “old guys”

glub

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2021
KC MO
As an old ass millenial, I'm one of a handful of people I know in my cohort who smokes a pipe with any frequency. About half a dozen of my close friends own a pipe or two but rarely break one out. Have several friends who smoke cigars and far more who smoke cigarettes.

I do have a buddy who recently picked up his first briar... to smoke weed in. ?‍♂️

EssJaySea

Can't Leave
May 12, 2021
Sebastopol, CA
Well I lost interest in reading all 8 pages of this thread but I’ll throw in my input/experience as a Millennial.

started smoking gas station cigars at 18. Premium cigars just a couple months after. Picked up a pipe in college cause I thought it would be cheaper (?). I can usually convince my friends to have a cigar with me on occasion. I’ve not seen another pipe smoker my age in my area, though I’m sure they are out there. I frequent my local cigar lounge and I’m always the youngest by at least 15 years. Can be a little lonely but I enjoy hangin out with all the “old guys”
For a long long time I (and my wife) was the youngest at take your pick: cigar lounge (back in the mid-90s in Columbia, Mo., don't recall the name), museums, certain restaurants. I hate to break it to you, but one day you will wake up and you won't be the youngest by 15 years -- not even close!

BlackSwampPiper

Might Stick Around
May 9, 2021
Ohio
Our nicotine use in every form is probably much higher than your perception thereof. I personally know many “closet” users of various forms of tobacco. Social acceptance being more important at our stage of life, we tend to conceal or isolate for usage. Cigars and pipes have always been slightly more acceptable publicly, and as we become more and more curmudgeonly, we will likely continue to transition that way. Cigarettes and moist snuff are probably way worse for our health, vaping has even more ritual than pipe smoking ( rebuild an RDTA dual-coil setup before you argue with me) and nasal snuff is too much like cocaine. A cigar habit can be prohibitively expensive, so the pipe is the natural choice, and here I am. Give us some time to settle down and we’ll pick up the pipe in droves, then we’ll apply everything we learned about craft beer to tobacco blends. We’ll drive up prices on artisan pipes and blends and ignore the old favorites to the detriment of the industry.

EssJaySea

Can't Leave
May 12, 2021
Sebastopol, CA
Our nicotine use in every form is probably much higher than your perception thereof. I personally know many “closet” users of various forms of tobacco. Social acceptance being more important at our stage of life, we tend to conceal or isolate for usage. Cigars and pipes have always been slightly more acceptable publicly, and as we become more and more curmudgeonly, we will likely continue to transition that way. Cigarettes and moist snuff are probably way worse for our health, vaping has even more ritual than pipe smoking ( rebuild an RDTA dual-coil setup before you argue with me) and nasal snuff is too much like cocaine. A cigar habit can be prohibitively expensive, so the pipe is the natural choice, and here I am. Give us some time to settle down and we’ll pick up the pipe in droves, then we’ll apply everything we learned about craft beer to tobacco blends. We’ll drive up prices on artisan pipes and blends and ignore the old favorites to the detriment of the industry.
I'll like your second to last sentence and very much dislike the last. But those were elements of what I wondered about... would enough people pick up pipes for it to get a similar tailwind to craft beer/cocktails'. (What will be the White Claw of tobacco?) I wonder if being trapped inside for a year changes that trajectory at all.

Reactions: BlackSwampPiper

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
You can't become pipe smoker. You're born pipe smoker or you are not.
Since I realized my dna was full bent I have been reborn. ?
None of my friends smoke a pipe and a lot of people can't hide their curiosity seeing a pipe. Those who pretend they don't care break sooner or later with strange looks, smiles or comments on what the hell am I smoking so there's no sweet smell.