PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
Capstan is a wonderful representation of Virginia and Granger, well bless your heart, but….No. ☝️?

It’s not enough for you to smoke only Granger and consider having judged all burley.

There are the Danish versions of Burley to sample, Golden Extra or Harmony. There’s. Dark Fired. There’s Solani Aged Burley Flake. There’s the Burley Flake series #1 thru 5 from C&D, of which BF #2 is a favorite of mine. Theres Perretti and there’s Uhles 00. There’s Carter Hall and Prince Albert, SWR and each of these will offer just a different glimpse. If you wish to try straight burley you can sample white burley and cube cut and dark burley. Even unsweetened cavendish on their own to get a good representation.
Most appreciated. What about EG Robinson. From what I read its an aromatic but dominant in the Burley.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Most appreciated. What about EG Robinson. From what I read its an aromatic but dominant in the Burley.

Laughing. You may love it as many do. Please don’t go by me on this one. I smoked one bowl and mailed it away to a forum member who now loves it. It’s a tasty blend EGR.

It gave me that Capt Black Vanilla like taste. I call it marshmallow. —That’s not the kind of sweet I enjoy.

Reactions: JOHN72
Yehhhhhh, but I wouldn't say that EGR is an example of burley. 90% of all aromatics use burley as it's main leaf, if not exclusively burley. I like EGR ok, but I smoke it for it's play between aromatic and latakia flavors. It does have that nuttiness, but while keeping the beat going with the burley, the melody and guitar solo is topping and latakia, IMO.

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
Burley just satisfies that craving and scratches that itch like nothing else.
You know the itch, the one that won’t go away if you smoke a mild to medium tobacco.

The craving is for the flavor: dry, nutty, earthy, woody, Jiminks etc…
It satisfies and leaves me feeling full.
Full of Lady N.

I’ve been talking about strong C&D burley here, the Clint Eastwood of Burley.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm glad to be a burley guy, tobacco-wise if not physically. Both in terms of my pipe rack rotation and my blends, I was never going to be a discerning scholar of the choicest Virginia blends, so this gives me a niche I genuinely enjoy. I grew up with a dad who only owned one pipe at a time and smoked Granger exclusively, so this is a good place for me.

clynch, thanks for the good posts. Enjoy those burley blends.

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
It takes a burley post to get me hyped on a Virginia. I don't have a good Burley yet to develop a flavor baseline but I was able to pick up a good Virginia at a B&R. Capstan Blue Flake. I enjoyed it very much. Many tobacco's leave a taste in my mouth I don't care for. Capstan Blue was excellent. Left a grassy flavor in my mouth but nothing disagreeable. I was surprised. I'll get that burley soon.

Reactions: ak2000 and JOHN72

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't usually go for special edition blends, but I did order two tins of C&D's Eight State Burley, since jiminks gave it four stars, and since it is a burley, and I see quite a few others are ordering it and name it in "What Are You Smoking" this month. I'm letting mine age a while.

I do enjoy Virginia blends, quite a few, but burley comes first.

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
Laughing. You may love it as many do. Please don’t go by me on this one. I smoked one bowl and mailed it away to a forum member who now loves it. It’s a tasty blend EGR.

It gave me that Capt Black Vanilla like taste. I call it marshmallow. —That’s not the kind of sweet I enjoy.
Just tried EGR several times. Not for me. Puts an awful taste into my mouth. Love to know what the awful is exactly.

Meerly John

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2021
Mid-USA
I prefer burley for the flavor profiles and smooth cool smoke. Nicotine is a factor, but sometimes I actually want a lighter smoke. I smoke everything but burley the most. And my favorite Aros and Latakia blends contain burley.

I don't know if I could crown a single blender the king of burley. I really love ABF, HH Burley Flake, and Stonehaven, but it takes more than one top tier blend to make a brand the king. Given their number of different decent blends, and in light of the quality of this year's Eight State Burley, I'm gonna say Cornell & Diehl is the best.

I have the benefit of being new, and so I have many 'new' blends to look forward to.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
I would assume based off the production of decades of C&D burley blends as well as other manufacturers which remain popular that burley guys just don't post on the forums as much. It's obviously selling and I would assume being smoked.

Personally I enjoy burley but when I'm in that mood I've got a few blends I already cellared deep on so I don't go looking for new burley blends to try. But I'm always up for trying a new quality VA that I've never had before.

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
Capstan is a wonderful representation of Virginia and Granger, well bless your heart, but….No. ☝️?

It’s not enough for you to smoke only Granger and consider having judged all burley.

There are the Danish versions of Burley to sample, Golden Extra or Harmony. There’s. Dark Fired. There’s Solani Aged Burley Flake. There’s the Burley Flake series #1 thru 5 from C&D, of which BF #2 is a favorite of mine. Theres Perretti and there’s Uhles 00. There’s Carter Hall and Prince Albert, SWR and each of these will offer just a different glimpse. If you wish to try straight burley you can sample white burley and cube cut and dark burley. Even unsweetened cavendish on their own to get a good representation.
I'll take your advice and try C&D #2. I'll also try 8 states Burley. Its on order. Wanted to try the Solani Burley but couldn't find any. These two should let me do a good comparison with the Capstan Blue Virginia. Thanks for the help!

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I do suspect that there's a "body chemistry" component to this.

To me, burley often tastes like very rancid nuts, sometimes with additional "off" notes as in soured milk or spoiled meat, or sometimes it feels like dry, prickly, suffocating smoke, like choking on burning straw or weeds.

I've acquired a number of tastes in my life -- I know what it is to dislike something at first, and then acquire the taste over time -- but my impression is that my aversion to burley is not just a taste dislike. There seems to be something else going on, such that I can't just acquire this taste.

As for the fun rib-elbowing and chop-busting over some association between burley tobacco and masculinity, I'm very interested in it. I've done a fair bit of thinking about the deep structure of gender, of which physical sex is only one instantiation. Although I don't prefer current ideological terms, if I were to use such terms, I'd say that I'm a "red pill" kind of traditionalist on gender, the zeitgeist be damned. I'm particularly interested in seeing how traditionally gendered conventions -- popularly dismissed today as arbitrary constructs -- are often rooted quite intrinsically in either essential or practical masculinity and femininity respectively.

So, as you might guess, I've tried to imagine what intrinsic or symbolic connection there may be between burley tobacco (in particular) and masculinity.

But I'm coming up with nothing.

@cosmicfolklore, have you considered the possibility that you parade this arbitrary association to compensate for your fabulous bedazzling of pipes, sort of like some guys install truck nutz to compensate for their below-average endowment?

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
While of late I’ve mainly been smoking ropes, burley will always be my first love, my jam, my happy place.

i share the following with hesitation, as it may come across as arrogant which is the furthest thing possible from my intentions, but ever since starting to grow and smoke my own burley I really struggle to enjoy commercially produced burley blends. It could be placebo, it could be to do with the case (moisture level) of the leaf, or the lack of preservatives. I’m not actually sure what’s going on, and I’m still trying to figure out if this delights or frustrates me. Lol

i guess burley has always made me feel at home, connected with the whenua/terrior/land and content in my thoughts as i lose myself in whatever labour is at hand.

I do suspect that there's a "body chemistry" component to this.

To me, burley often tastes like very rancid nuts, sometimes with additional "off" notes as in soured milk or spoiled meat, or sometimes it feels like dry, prickly, suffocating smoke, like choking on burning straw or weeds.

I've acquired a number of tastes in my life -- I know what it is to dislike something at first, and then acquire the taste over time -- but my impression is that my aversion to burley is not just a taste dislike. There seems to be something else going on, such that I can't just acquire this taste.

As for the fun rib-elbowing and chop-busting over some association between burley tobacco and masculinity, I'm very interested in it. I've done a fair bit of thinking about the deep structure of gender, of which physical sex is only one instantiation. Although I don't prefer current ideological terms, if I were to use such terms, I'd say that I'm a "red pill" kind of traditionalist on gender, the zeitgeist be damned. I'm particularly interested in seeing how traditionally gendered conventions -- popularly dismissed today as arbitrary constructs -- are often rooted quite intrinsically in either essential or practical masculinity and femininity respectively.

So, as you might guess, I've tried to imagine what intrinsic or symbolic connection there may be between burley tobacco (in particular) and masculinity.

But I'm coming up with nothing.

@cosmicfolklore, have you considered the possibility that you parade this arbitrary association to compensate for your fabulous bedazzling of pipes, sort of like some guys install truck nutz to compensate for their below-average endowment?
While I don’t find these rancid tastes in burley, fine… you don’t like burley. I don’t like carrots.
I don’t put nuts on my truck. However, don’t take joking too personal. They are just jokes.
… at least you have a beard. puffy

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
While of late I’ve mainly been smoking ropes, burley will always be my first love, my jam, my happy place.

i share the following with hesitation, as it may come across as arrogant which is the furthest thing possible from my intentions, but ever since starting to grow and smoke my own burley I really struggle to enjoy commercially produced burley blends. It could be placebo, it could be to do with the case (moisture level) of the leaf, or the lack of preservatives. I’m not actually sure what’s going on, and I’m still trying to figure out if this delights or frustrates me. Lol

i guess burley has always made me feel at home, connected with the whenua/terrior/land and content in my thoughts as i lose myself in whatever labour is at hand.

Ok, I'm glad that Ahi Ka mentioned this, because I can confirm that his homegrown neither tastes like nor affects me like commercial burley does. If I may put in a plug for him (lol, see what I did there @Ahi Ka?), he deserves huge kudos for his success in growing and processing remarkable tobaccos (just across the hill from where Jackson's Shire scenes were filmed, fascinatingly).

The most stand-out of his burleys, to me, is a varietal he calls "Lil' Bee," which was a burley he grew in potash, experimentally. It resulted in very tiny leaves (hence the name), which offer flavors of cedar oil -- even brief hints of eucalyptus oil -- like I've never tasted in anything else. If I could get it regularly, I'd smoke it regularly, no question. It tastes like the smell of a freshly sawn cedar plank.

(At least, that's what I got from it. No clue if others would taste the same thing.)

I wouldn't categorize these homegrown NZ burleys with other burley at all.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Chur bro.

(lil’ bee was also grown next to our bee hives. I have since read that bees can get addicted to the nectar in tobacco flowers, making them lazy buggers who eventually die of starvation in winter as they just start to hang around rather than make honey. Who would have thought we would share our love for pipe weed with these fuzzy friends)

ak2000

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2018
Illinois, USA
alphaprimecomm.com
Probably the majority of what I smoke is Burley or burley blends, so it’s probably safe to say that I’m a Burley guy! There are lots of great ones out there that do one or two really well but C&D is probably the king.
Same here. Nothing topped is my preference. I like my tobacco to taste like tobacco.