Anything That Eliminates Odor from Pipes Sitting Out?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Do not store pipes where they don't have air circulation! Ziplocks are fine for traveling, or other very temporary use.
I used to completely dry my pipes after a hot water flush/cleaning, but now often just let them air dry. The RH in my house is around 50%, and the pipes are dry and good to go the next morning. I also wait till I have bunch of pipes to clean at once, unless I come in the door with a hot pipe that wants cleaning.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Jay, you're killing me.
But seriously, why not try the damp coffee grounds in the bowl routine? Do the water flush and dry first, then top up the bowl with damp coffee grounds and let them do their thing until they are bone dry. They do a great job of clearing out ghosting in a pipe. Coffee grounds smell a whole lot better than used pipes too. There have been a number of discussions on this site regarding the use of coffee grounds when cleaning a pipe.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
But seriously, why not try the damp coffee grounds in the bowl routine? Do the water flush and dry first, then top up the bowl with damp coffee grounds and let them do their thing until they are bone dry. They do a great job of clearing out ghosting in a pipe. Coffee grounds smell a whole lot better than used pipes too. There have been a number of discussions on this site regarding the use of coffee grounds when cleaning a pipe.
There's definitely something to this as I used coffee grounds to deodorize an old freezer. Worked really well.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
You guys are killing me with the new girlfriend stuff. She’s great, she’s cool with me smoking pipes, and she’s not going anywhere any time soon. But it does sound like perhaps I should keep the bowl buildup to a minimum and maybe do a weekly deep clean for mine. I haven’t been doing deep cleans at all in the 4 months I’ve had my main pipe that I smoke. I will definitley start flushing the pipe every so often and might try the coffee grounds if that doesn’t help cut down on the odor. You guys are full of great advice on this, thanks so much for all the varied opinions!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Really, it's so easy to clean the pipes out every day with a 30 second blast. That should do it. And sometimes add some wet coffee grounds to the just flushed pipe, and let 'em dry for a few days.
Good luck!

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I put my cleaned pipes inside one of 2 humidors. The humidors contain humedicant packs that drys out the pipes. No smell escapes, therefore no issues with the wife.

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
Only can't help asking, unlike today why nobody did pay attention to how pipes or tobacco 'smells in living areas back in the 40-60ies.
Because people weren't the anally pretentious, self-righteous, narcissistic snowflake jackasses like they are today...just sayin...

Reactions: edwardsmr2020
unlike today why nobody did pay attention to how pipes or tobacco 'smells in living areas back in the 40-60ies.

Because naturally, human beings stink. It has not been until we are completely surrounded by chemicals smells, that we started to notice our stink. Sure, some women were more sensitive to stink than others, so they started putting those rose shaped pink soaps in their bathrooms to cover human stink. But, then in England they got the idea that instead of masking stink, they'd just add the soap flavors to the thing that already sinks.
I rinse my pipes with water every night. It's a small effort, but it will keep your pipes from smelling. All of the rest of these suggestion just seem like silly extra work. Your pipes will also taste better.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
In spite of what others might say, stale smoke reeks. How you store your pipes, don't know why you need to display them, is only a small contributor to the problem. Non-smokers detect the reek easily. Smokers do not notice the reek as much, if at all, because they have become inured to it. The reek crept up on them slowly and is the now the "normal" smell.
So, the suggestion to find a new girl friend, if smoking is more important than she is, is realistic. Actions have consequences and stale smoke smell is simply a fact of life for smokers. The wee particles of smoke adhere to hair, paint, carpet, clothes, skin, etc. You can try to minimize it but, many non-smokers find such to be terribly distasteful.
Paul: In the days of yore, smoking was simply acceptable and the reek was everywhere. Non-smokers simply accepted it as part of life. They didn't know any better. In this day and age people do not have to accept it. And, they don't ... sometimes loudly. These days even I enjoy entering a cafe and smelling the food instead of fresh and stale smoke.
Way back when gentlemen, went to extremes to keep the personal reek minimal. They wore caps, jackets, restricted smoking to the den or the "smoking room." They asked permission before lighting up in a public area or private residence. They didn't smoke around the "fairer sex." Then ... women started to smoke in public, who knows why, and openly smoking in mixed company became acceptable. I guess what goes round, comes round. Society is always morphing, progressing and regressing.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
I didn’t know I could flush the pipe with hot water! You guys do that after every bowl?
Some do, & some even live by it to an almost religious level. Me, I'm old, lazy, & doin't give a flying rat's butt, nor does my wife of 36 years, so for me it's not an issue. Not really helpful, I know, but just saying it to note that by no means does everybody flush/wipe their pipes., [Of course whatEVER it is, it's certainly much better to do it in THAT order than the reverse! :)]
Bill

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
But to really get rid of the odor, flush out the chamber and airway with hot tap water.
I don't see why it's a big deal, but from what I've read on here about water and pipe bowls/chambers...
iu

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
I agree with judcasper, you're opening up a can of worms. The only time that worked without causing other issues was with my glass bong back when I smoked pot.

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
Many of us on this forum have been rinsing our pipes out with no harm for well over a year now... has it been more than one year now? The anti-rincers never have a foot to stand on in their fears of water
Maybe you right...I'm just not willing to take that plunge myself based on common sense. Pipes are made of wood, wood absorbs water, wood then changes shape, the stem is made out of artificial material that does not absorb water...maybe there's no logic in that, I don't know...

Status
Not open for further replies.