Anything That Eliminates Odor from Pipes Sitting Out?

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Peterson Tobacco Ad

Search on Site

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

Recent Posts

davet

Preferred Member
May 9, 2015
I've got no real opinion on water rinsing or not, I clean mine with pipe cleaners and alcohol. I am curious after this back and forth, for and against, so an experiment is in order....
The pipe;

The pipe in water;

I'll remove it in a week or two... Ashdigger I'll let someone else try your lighter fluid method :rofl:

cosmicfolklore

Preferred Member
Aug 9, 2013
Outer Space
Davet, I am curious... so is soaking it in a sealed jar supposed to mimic what is happening when I just rinse my pipe out and immediately wipe it off? Because, even though I use water to clean my pipes, I am pretty sure that soaking it wouldn't be a positive for the pipe.

davet

Preferred Member
May 9, 2015
Nope, I want to see if it swells over time and then dry it slowly as opposed to just setting it out to dry. I'm not for or against your methods just curious. I'll check it occasionally while soaking and the same with drying.

My guess is if I'm careful it will be fine :puffpipe:

Peterson Tobacco Ad

crashthegrey

Preferred Member
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Cosmic, I am thinking Davet is doing a worst possible case type scenario to see if there is any danger of extreme water exposure. If not, then most of us will probably have to admit that you are not wrong with your much milder technique. It doesn't mean I'll be a convert, though.

davet

Preferred Member
May 9, 2015
I don't want to hijack this thread so maybe I should start another.... :oops:

mtwaller

Preferred Member
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
So I bought some everclear and started running it through the stem, shank, and lightly scrub the bowl with an everclear soaked cleaner after every smoke. After a couple days of rest the clean(er) pipes smell noticeably better. I shoot a lot of guns and I enjoy the cleaning process on those, so this isn’t a huge drawback for me. I rather enjoy spending a few minutes cleaning my pipes. And pipe cleaners and everclear are so cheap, why the hell not. Thanks for the advice and entertainment, you hooligans!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
WI
I'm slightly dissapointed that I read every post on this thread....
:crazy:

Peterson Tobacco Ad