Anything That Eliminates Odor from Pipes Sitting Out?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
So, you disparage the stems from someone who rinces [sic] with water, to dispel that it keeps “anyone” elses pipes stems shiny? That’s the logic? :puffy:
Except Duane, who seems to be the only one who gets oxidation on his stems, and the rest of us have beautiful stems that are as shiny as new.
Nope, just pointing out the error.

Jan 8, 2013
I treat my pipes like I treat my mogwai.
latest

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I started thoroughly cleaning my pipes, after a day of smoking, 2 years ago. No more smell. After a day of smoking, I run an Everclear soaked pipe cleaner through the draft hole and bowl.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
W.C. Fields said what fish do in water! That is where I first thought of why it was better to drink orange juice, even if it had orange juice in it.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
What's the difference between a water flush and packing a bowl with wet coffee grounds for hours at a time? More moisture would be taken up by the wood because the wet grounds are in contact with the chamber for a much longer time. One is as good as, or as bad as the other.

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
I've run some econometric calculations and estimated that approximately 27 hours and 12 minutes worth of combined man hours were spent on this thread, still with no real solution to the original post (this figure has a standard error of 1.26 hours if anyone is interested). But since no one on here has a job, the nation's GDP didn't budge at all.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I have some powdered water somewhere.....just add vodka.
What's the difference between a water flush and packing a bowl with wet coffee grounds for hours at a time? More moisture would be taken up by the wood because the wet grounds are in contact with the chamber for a much longer time. One is as good as, or as bad as the other.
Good point.
What may not be apparent is that moisture is introduced in the chamber, airway and mortise joint just by smoking. And that moisture is hot, and is present for the length of the smoke. Quantity by weight is minuscule, but as far as possibly introducing moisture into the briar, that's where it'll happen the most.

What's the difference between a water flush and packing a bowl with wet coffee grounds for hours at a time?

Yeh, I get the idea that these guys imagine us boiling the pipes in water for hours at a time, ha ha. Not, just rinsing them with water and then immediately wiping them down. More water is likely to be in contact with and absorbed by the wood if you packed a bowl of FVF and smoked it for an hour. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.