PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

TheSt0rm

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2022
nah nevermind. I just tried doing the "French Inhales" again.. like I said before, and it gave me no nose burn. So apparently it does need to be puffed to really do it.. but it's a lot harder with this blend, the Red (Bold) . i guess because it doesn't burn as "smoothly"... lol. Shame because Im pretty sure it may just need more drying to make ti burn better? who knows. I'lll have to maybe try that.

TheSt0rm

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2022
yeah I would like to try cigarette tobacco also in pipes myself. I think it will give a better hit..

TheSt0rm

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2022
yeah, I just smoked some of this Red (Bold) again, but it was some of the more broken down stuff. And it smoked a lot more like the Gold.. or what I was expecting from it. I think I was just smoking some of the really broken down stuff.. so Im thinking I just need a good grinder and that'll help me.

Anyone know of good grinders for Pipe tobacco? Or can I just use a regular herb grinder? it's already pretty much broken down I just need it more... and I need to do it in small amounts because I like to take out stems , 'flattened stems' or other.. maybe dirtier looking pieces... it has some grit. That's why I dont normally like smoking the stuff on the bottom or the more broken up stuff.. and I put it in smaller bags as I use it .. so the stuff on the bottom I dont really like to smoke except for that fact that it smokes so smoothly that I can do that "nose warming" thing with it I like to do ..

anyways, so yea I just think I need a grinder for it now ... take out stems and such grind it up well and it'll smoke more 'smoother'...

TheSt0rm

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2022
as for my "whole leaf" experiments so far.. atleast with this.. dark air cured.. soaking or atleast "cold soaking" does not really seem to work, since it always seems to dry with spots all over it. I didn't really get this with the Flue Cured.. or atleast I didn't notice it, or I smoked it anyways so w/e.

and the dark air cured smokes fine also if it's cleaned but it still gets spots.. and so that's what Im trying to work on.

But the only thing right now I think could work is if I really boil it, and not slack on the hot water.. before I was soaking it cold before I splashed boiling water over it.. so who knows. But really.. I dont know.

I dont know why they would sell those wrappers if they can't even be prepared? I talked to one person and he said you just "steam it and brush it off with a paintbrush"...

but dont you also steam the mold and dirt all over it into the leaf also?

So I dont know. And then people use propylene glycol so it just kills any mold and stuff.. but I wanted to see if there was a natural way to do it ... and without steaming because I can't really do that around here...

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Roll that fine cut stuff up into a ball between your palms.. Then just plug it in the pipe, leaving an air pocket. Most shag or other fine cut tobacco will be dry enough for this. Try it and see.

Reactions: TheSt0rm

TheSt0rm

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2022
yeah it seems, none of my whole leaf experiments, least with the Dark Air Cured.. is working. It always comes out with spots no matter how much I boil it.

now Im thinking.. it's probably a lot harder than I thought. Maybe I have to uhh, referment it or something.. and , it's already fermented. So that's why those spots come on. So it's all about, controlling that "yeast" or fermentation or whatever.

maybe I shd just stick to light air cured for now... or flue cured Since those aren't fermented. Maybe later on, some fire cured if it's possible. Even light air fire cured might be different from dark fire cured...

Dark fire cured is fermented, and light fire cured is not. Atleast most the time? So yeah, uhh, and also the fire may be applied after fermentation so who knows.

Like I thoguht, with this dark air cured.. the Only way it may work, is if I work on it Super slowly.... soaking it for the minimum amount of time, or max, before it starts to spot..... dry it.. then soak it again, for the max amount of time, before it spots, and just repeat that until you have a clean enough leaf. But you know how long that may take? Probably a whole month just for the small cut of leaf I want to be working on.

yeah so that might be uhh, the only proper way to, 'age' the leaf... atleast in shorter amount of time... with water. Since aging can even take years I read... But the water just cleans the leaves, and probably also a lot of nicotine.. Oh well.

I know that Cigarette tobaccos, or American Blends? maybe , can be machine washed, and I even read about a patent for that. Ie in water. So who knows. But maybe it doesn't work with.. 'fermented' leaf... ie dark air cured...

but yeah, and I dont have a steamer or any space for that so... I can't do steaming.

Last edited:

TheSt0rm

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2022
And I also dont want to use propylene glycol. I just want to atleast get it right now so I can be able to atleast smoke it dry, and then I can worry about rehydrating it later. But it may prove to be more complicated than I thought. Atleast for the dark air cured leaf.

Another thing I thought is that maybe just rehydrating it, after cleaning it, may make the spots disappear. but that could be risking messing up the hydrostones/ humidification stones.

And I forgot to say, they already do sell pre aged leaves of the same variety of dark air cured leaves from the bulk supplier I get from... so maybe those are easier to work with/wash or something. Who knows.

But if I can get these to work I'll let ya'll know lol.. i doubt it tho. Like I said it could take a whole month or so. Who knows..

Last edited:

TheSt0rm

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2022
well, I dont think theyre just floor scrapings but I do find more processed stem than in American Spirits loose tobacco, which is still RYO btw. But as for RYO pipe tobacco.. yeah, it seems the difference in quality is really due to classing them as pipe tobaccos, and taxation.. even tho they can be American Blends just like American Spirits... but they cannot be inhaled. But they can be smoked without inhaling.. and cheaply.. so that's what I like. And I found a supposedly "organic" one, or atlest mostly organic, and additive free. So yeah that's why I like it.

I know... for an American Blend... I would aleast expect inhalability.. but because of taxation, I guess I come to expect it. If I want to prepare inhalable American Blend pipe tobaccos addtive free I mean and as close to organic as I want, then I can try to prepare some from whole leaf from bulk suppliers...

TheSt0rm

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2022
I have been looking into some other brands, of pipe tobaccos that are, maybe considered "domestic" .. none are organic tho. and I dont know if theyre really additive free. but that's for when I perfect this clay pipe I guess.

Im looking more into bagged ones than tins.....unless maybe I can bag some tins.. I prefer to keep it in a bag. But I think a bag shd be just fine. Like loose pipe tobaccos you know.

TheSt0rm

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2022
Those stems up the nicotine content. Look at 5 Brothers or Dark Birds Eye.
the stems helps to retain humidity i think..

but I dont think you really want to smoke them. So I take them out. it's OK as long as you can take them out. But as for nicotine.. well.. yeah you can smoke them for nicotine but I'd rather just keep them to retain humidity. I think even in maintaining humidity it may impart some extra nicotine... atleast aromatically.

well, but that most'ly because stems are often not clean... atleast in whole leaf tobacco. or you have to be really careful about those stems.

TheSt0rm

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2022
i dunno, it depends on those stems. The veins, yeah, sometimes it can be dirty. but yeah those veins, if you get really good ones, they do help to retain humidity with the tobacco. but I would remove them when I smoke the tobacco, atleast IMO... atleast for inhaling.

TheSt0rm

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2022
well I mean if you smoke stems they should be clean. I know they do impart some nicotine lol, but its just in my journey of washing whole leaf tobacco.. I've learned theyre really good for retaining humidity... as long as they're clean.

one of my cuban ancestors told me once about smoking stems.. and yeah they do have nicotine. but you have to be careful with them..... veins on the other hand are more safe.. and they do help also to retain humidity, but sometimes they can also be infected with mold... but that's why you take them out and leave the good ones. Clean stems are good, some people dont like them but that is actually to retain humidity sometimes...