Anyone Really Like Falcons? Or Hate ‘Em?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I’ve looked questioningly at Falcons for quite some time, and just can’t get past how weird they look. I like the idea, but before I pull the trigger on getting one, I’d like to hear some experienced thoughts on them. Based on their lack of availability, people must like them.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I have one. I don't smoke it real often, but when I do, I like it a lot. It's a great pipe if you want one that you can smoke all day long and not worry about soggy smokes.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I have one that I've smoked maybe 5 times. It's a fine looking pipe, with a meer lined bowl.
I wish I liked it more. The bowl is kind of small to me and I have had mixed success getting a good burn on it. I feel like I spend a lot of time fiddling with it and, just when it might be getting a good ember, the ride is over.
There's a good chance it's me, or I haven't found the right use for it yet. I may pursue a taller stacked bowl.
falcon-600x337.jpg

jay-roger.jpg

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
I have a couple of them. I don't smoke them often but I enjoy them when I do. They smoke cool and dry and pretty well do what they were designed to do. They have their fans, and deservedly so I think.
Mike

elvergun

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2017
I have one. I don't smoke it real often, but when I do, I like it a lot.
This is exactly my situation.
Falcons are okay. Not bad...but not great.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Simply don't like the look, though the one Jay posted up is one of the better ones I've seen. (Had one a long time ago, but it got lost.)

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I have 8 Falcons in hard use. I cut them down so they aren't as long and make great truck pipes.
I hate, absolutely hate cobs, eventhough I keep trying and buying them, but Falcons have never failed me.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
Love Falcon pipes easy to look after and smoke great. One of the best pipes you can get.

Don’t think twice just go for i.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I like them a lot, perfect pipe for when you are needing to do things. Very easy to clean and it's easy to build up a rotation or dedicate bowls to specific tobaccos. They have all black Hunter stems, like Jaytax's, which makes them easier on the eye. Oh, regular BJ long pipe cleaners work fine so no need to buy their pipe cleaners. Plus, every bowl I have own smokes wonderfully.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like the sort of Art Deco appearance, light-weight utilitarian look, but not so it overcomes my enjoyment of briar, cob, and a few other woods as pipe materials. I don't dislike Falcons, but I guess I don't like them enough. I'm also not a Meerschaum guy, but I'd get a Meer before I'd get a Falcon. I am intrigued by Falcons, the fact that the company moved to U.K. from the U.S., and that there are people who own hundreds of them and smoke almost nothing but Falcons. And of course there are a number of other brands that have used metal as the shank/airway material, which is also intriguing. They're "neat," just not a magnet for me. I like the organic aspect of a mostly wood bowl and shank, the way they wear.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I suppose they are OK if your idea of a pipe is a length of old brake line attached to a hollowed out wooden door knob encased in aluminum formed from re-smelted Colt 45 Malt liquor can ring pulls!

P

pipebuddy

After buying all kinds of brands and artisan pipes, and smoking Falcon pipes, I'd smoke a Falcon over any other pipe, anytime, anywhere. Actually, that's just what I do. :wink: I never had any problems with any of my Falcon; but I can't say likewise about some of my other briars or meers. Seeing a pic of a Falcon and actually holding the Falcon in your hand is a totally different ball game.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I've got 9 stems and 21 bowls so I guess you could say I'm a Falcon fan. Here's some information about Falcon pipes that may be of interest to you. Might help you to make a decision to buy one.
http://www.pipesmokerforum.com/forum/showthread.php?806-Some-Notes-on-Falcon-Pipes

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I agree Davy, they don't fit my fist that well either. Hard to beat the feel of wood in the hand. But, they don't need to be defended. They are simply something different and, while none of the bowls smoke poorly, they are not my regular smokers.
I wouldn't look down my nose them either as some others apparently do. The pipe is simply too personal a tool for any of us to demean another's choices. It's what works and satisfies the individual smoker, not what the cretins think!

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I suppose they are OK if your idea of a pipe is a length of old brake line attached to a hollowed out wooden door knob encased in aluminum formed from re-smelted Colt 45 Malt liquor can ring pulls!
HMMMmmm, some how,that reply does not surprise me... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I have several of of the Shillelagh models.. I have an assortment of briar, meerschaum lined, chimney and meerschaum bowls. I like them.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
I guess I'm in the camp of always liked the idea, but didn't really care for the look or feel. The smoke was fine, but I'll stick with regular briar, cob, or meer. I really wanted to like them...

Status
Not open for further replies.