Anyone Really Like Falcons? Or Hate ‘Em?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefishguy

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2017
Had thought about pulling the trigger on a falcon until the Radiator pipes caught my eye. I see one of those being purchased in the future.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I own one Alco. It has a Meerschaum lined Dublin bowl with decent grain. I found it aesthetically pleasing enough to buy, but I HATE the stem.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
From past posts, I was fascinated by people who own hundreds of Falcons, and many many bowls for any of the shank/stems, of various materials. When people love the Falcon, they can really go whole hog. I've never quite liked the little moisture catcher that is part of the Falcon system, but some leave that out. The fewer the accessories, the better, to me.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
If you want a meer bowl, go with a company like IMP, they sell Falcon meer bowls. The ones that Falcon offers are not that great. There is about 4mm of meer in them which reduces the bowl size by a decent amount. I picked up an IMP bowl and for the first time, I enjoy smoking out of meerschaum. I've got 9 stems and 30 bowls in all shapes and sizes. Picked up an Askwith morta stacked bowl and it is an excellent smoker.
When I worked in a pipe shop, we sold a ton of Falcons but I always thought they were a gimmick pipe and never tried one until I picked up stem and a couple bowls from NOS and was pleasantly surprised. They don't replace briars but definitely fill a niche in my pipe smoking. I used to have a 80 minute round trip drive for work and they were perfect for that. Also a perfect pipe for multi day camping excursions.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Here is my favorite Falcon. Its been cut down and with the meerschaum bowl it is just a great travel pipe. I often just take it and tobacco for trips up to three days. Easy Peasy. A pipe, a handful of cleaners and baccy. It does not get better than that.
ETKKZdi.jpg

wooooo

Lurker
Feb 2, 2017
I love my falcon. After seeing Ashdigger's meer, I might have to get one of those bowls to try!

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I have one, from the 70's, with two briar and one meerschaum bowl. It's a decent smoker, and easy to clean. It's a good knock around pipe, and it would be bets with a vulcanite bit.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
Thanks for all the feedback. I went ahead and ordered one...a straight with curved mouthpiece in “extra” finish (dark brown) and a Plymouth bowl. I’ll letcha know my thoughts when it arrives from the UK.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
I don't have a Falcon, but I do have Dr. Grabow's answer to the Falcon, an old bent Viking Pipe. It's one of three pipes I bought new as a teenager some 40 years ago. I remember buying it from a Walgreens along with a pouch of Middleton Cherry and some other pouch with green apples on it. Man, that tobacco was a lousy way to try to start pipe smoking. Several scorched tongues later and my first attempts at becoming a pipe smoker for life were dashed before they began. Eventually I stumbled into a Tinder Box, got some good baccy and I was happier. But the whole pipe smoking thing still wound up mostly a failed experiment until I tried again years later, perhaps wiser and more patient. I pull it out now and then to remind me of those days starting out....plus it's a good smoker. I thought about getting a few new bowls for it but I guess the Falcon thread pattern is different so bowls aren't interchangeable.

kimbiker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2014
Mikefu...hope you like it. They are a decent enough smoke, easy to maintain and stand plenty of abuse.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I suppose they are OK if your idea of a pipe is a length of old brake line attached to a hollowed out wooden door knob encased in aluminum formed from re-smelted Colt 45 Malt liquor can ring pulls!
Yep, that's almost exactly what I think when I look at one. I hated them when I saw them as a child and they offend my eye even now. It could well be the best smoking pipe in the world but I will never know because I just can't bring myself to buy one. I see why people like them. I like the idea myself but they are just plain fugly and the stems look horrible too.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I’ve had my Falcon for a few weeks now, and have given it a good break in. I ended up with a Falcon Extra stem (Brown, reasonably unobnoxious) straight with the slightly bent bit, and a spiral Plymouth bowl. Here are my thoughts: I like how it smokes- cool, dry, and has a good draw, despite the little absorbing pipe cleaner ring in the base (or “humidome” but whenever I say that I envision Mad Max). It’s incredibly lightweight and a good traveling pipe. I dislike how it looks still, but I can live with it. I really dislike the bit material, as it feels like a cross between cheap plastic and those wax lips I had as a kid. It’s a definite step down from, say, Savinelli acrylic.

So that being said, it will serve a purpose, but my briars need not fear that they be decommissioned for the sake of technology, despite the good smoking qualities of the futuristic Falcon.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
Here is my favorite Falcon. Its been cut down and with the meerschaum bowl it is just a great travel pipe. I often just take it and tobacco for trips up to three days. Easy Peasy. A pipe, a handful of cleaners and baccy. It does not get better than that.
How did you cut it down? Can we get a close up picture and how-to?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Yoda, I just used a small hacksaw, but a dremel would do it. I used epoxy to set the outer posts. The center post it friction fit with epoxy to stabilize it.
If I have time this weekend I'll post the whole process.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
OK, I apologize. Up front. I'm a snob. There, I said it. I just don't like "drugstore" pipes, & for me unfortunately Falcon falls into that category. My first pipe was a Medico Dublin. (I swear I think the finish was paint or varnish.) I got rid of it as soon as I learned better, which was quickly. To me none of the hanging-cardboard-display types are worth my pouch. When I first worked for Tinder Box, my boss had a small tray of that kind in the far back corner next to the wall, & I asked him why. "Some men just won't buy anything but that." Jim McCloud, God rest his soul, turned me into the snob I am today.....

Status
Not open for further replies.