PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
By the time I mastered Mario Bros. on my son's Xmas gift, it was about March of that yr.
I felt guilty as hell about it. That was ? I guess around '94, and I haven't ventured into those realms again.
I still abuse my digital consciousness with too much online poker, but there's a familiarity I enjoy and I strive to improve.
(I felt guilty because I played with my son's toy while he watched, for way too long, as well as that I spent way too much time on beating the silly thing.)
Psychologists and psychiatrists likely consider this some form of sexual deviation, or at least deviation.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
By the time I mastered Mario Bros. on my son's Xmas gift, it was about March of that yr.
I felt guilty as hell about it. That was ? I guess around '94, and I haven't ventured into those realms again.
I still abuse my digital consciousness with too much online poker, but there's a familiarity I enjoy and I strive to improve.
(I felt guilty because I played with my son's toy while he watched, for way too long, as well as that I spent way too much time on beating the silly thing.)
Psychologists and psychiatrists likely consider this some form of sexual deviation, or at least deviation.
That’s too funny. When I was a kid, we got a Nintendo from “Santa Claus,” and I watched my parents trying to beat Super Mario Brothers while my brother and I watched! ? What was hilariously frustrating was watching my mom kill Mario in the same hole over and over again. I told my brother, “watch, she’s gonna fill that hole up with dead Marios and walk across it.” We got to play when they got frustrated and quit. ?

• Haha
Reactions: danimalia

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Recently downloaded Tony Hawk Pro Skater for PS4 ...huge nostalgia factor for me and also is still a really fun game to play. Also been playing a side-scroller called "Soldner X2" that plays more like an old school NES/SNES game but has sweet PS4 graphics ...been trying to get away from playing GTA online haha --I want to find more casual games that would be conducive to playing while smoking my pipe.
Sports games are the best for smoking. I do my smoking outdoors or in the garage these days, but when I used to smoke cigarettes inside, I found sports games the easiest for multitasking. Baseball, football (American), and golf work best because of all the breaks between plays. Basketball and soccer are a bit harder, but still easier than your average action game.

John Madden approves of smoking while playing Madden

30a26f0cf949612bcff59c1930c15628.jpg

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
not at all. Though I'd recommend the Nintendo Switch it's a little more user friendly has mostly the same games plus way more that aren't overly complicated.
The switch is my favorite console of its generation spent more time with my switch then with my PlayStation 4. Also unless you have a 4K tv I don’t see it worth buying a ps5 now. I always wait a year or two before picking up new systems. Gives them time to iron out the bugs and put out more games. However a PlayStation 5 can play ps4 games.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
The switch is my favorite console of its generation spent more time with my switch then with my PlayStation 4. Also unless you have a 4K tv I don’t see it worth buying a ps5 now. I always wait a year or two before picking up new systems. Gives them time to iron out the bugs and put out more games. However a PlayStation 5 can play ps4 games.
Same. Only console I bought right at launch was an Xbox 360, which was a total disaster with the red rings of death on multiple boxes. Since then, I've been a PlayStation man and vowed to never buy one that early again. As I have an older 720p TV, I figure it makes more sense to upgrade that first anyway.

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
Im a big elder scrolls fan, morrowind, oblivion and skyrim. ESO, not so much.
Recently i have liked stellaris, elite dangerous, and plague evolved.
But i always have a skyrim playthrough in progress, its amazing what mods add to the game.

ADKPiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
I played first person shooters online for years.
Now my son's have taken up the mantle.

On the video game front, the finals of the Quake world championships are being streamed live on youtube all this week.. I've watched several hours of it this week. The prize for the winner is huge.

Jun 27, 2016
Anyone running an MClassic? I just ordered one for my Dreamcast, excited to hook it up & see how it does. Should be the final improvement that I can make to my signal chain ( D.C. to VGA box to OSSC to MClassic to HDMI TV ). The VGA box forces the Dreamcast to output in its native VGA output resolution (basically 480p which is the highest a stock Dreamcast can go natively). The OSSC has a setting to bump that to 960p but my tv rejects that resolution, so I just use the OSSC in 480p passthru mode. The OSSC is there for its 480p DVD codec, which scales the 4:3 image to 16:9, nearly fully filling my widescreen TV without distorting the picture. The MClassic should upscale the native 480p to 1080p (max my TV will do), but it could go up to 14xxp if my TV would support that. Plus the MClassic will do some anti-aliasing & color enhancement tricks. From what I hear online, this thing should be pretty rad in terms of image-enhancement & smoothing out the jaggies, but I might need to tweak a couple of the OSSC settings if I initially see some on-screen artifacts.
Plus, they've been on sale for at least a week, so I figured I'd get one:
Link to MClassic Official Site

I should also be able to hook this up to my PS3, & it may or may not help, but I'm also kind of curious to see if it would help on PS1 games that I play on the PS3.

Also, I played Sky Force Anniversary on my PS3, & that game was a lot of fun. There's the rub. Was a lot of fun. The game would occasionally lock up between levels (I could live with that), but eventually my save-game file got corrupted due to this happening during an auto-save, deleting about 1/3 of my progress. Now it won't save any more of my progress, so I stopped playing it. Pissed because I had gold-medaled halfway through the levels set to 'Nightmare Difficulty'. Like, WTF? This game is not easy for me & I'm not sure if I'm going to deal with it again. I could start a new save file but it would probably end up doing the same thing again anyway.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Dropped I ut of the video game thing with the Atari 2600. Most of my friends went on to Nintendo and beyond. I got into hot rods and chasing skirts. Three marriages and six kids later I'm beginning to think the video games may have been more cost effective. My sons have followed in my foot steps while my stepson is into gaming. I will say, the new games are impressive.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I used to play a lot of FPS games on my old Windows 95 PC back in the 90s, and into the early 00s. When Quake came out in 1996, I was instantly hooked, and when Half-Life was released a couple years later, it became a hopeless obsession through my high school years. Of course, once I graduated high school, having to decide what the hell to do with my life (and then actually do it!) took precedence, and over the next few years, my interest gradually wore out. I tried Doom 3 when it came out, on a friend's computer. I really liked it for what it was, but it just wasn't the same as it was when I was a kid. Just an age thing, I guess; plus, the novelty of a primitive game versus the ultra-precision graphics and such of a modern FPS game...I don't know, it's not something I can really explain. Maybe someone else born between about 1982 and 1988 would know what I'm talking about. Anyway, it's been a good 10 years since I last played a FPS game, but I still get nostalgic sometimes and watch clips on YouTube of guys playing some of the old games. There's one channel in particular, Zdenda1990, who is going through Quake level by level, and it sure brings back memories. Living vicariously, I guess you could say! I still know every part of every level in that game. I'm a regular Rainman, don't ya know...

• Haha

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My, speaking of computer time wasters... just spent the whole night playing Accolade's Deadlock ! ?

Had forgotten the meaning of the old "just one more turn". ?
Currently working on Clid the Snail, Layers of Fear, 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim, and The Hong Kong Massacre.