PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Yeah, I'd agree. A lot of trial and error. A sneaky aspect of Dark Souls is that a lot of monsters and bosses have suuuuuuuuuper slow animations for "loading" their attacks - clearly to give you time to react - but when the attack comes it is lightning fast.
yes the "tells" are a big part of the game. And know the best reactions and timing (all dependent on how what you have equipped and your stats). In fact it's worth it with bosses especially to not fight back for a while and just defend and see what attacks do what.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
yes the "tells" are a big part of the game. And know the best reactions and timing (all dependent on how what you have equipped and your stats). In fact it's worth it with bosses especially to not fight back for a while and just defend and see what attacks do what.
For sure. Actually I realised I was approaching the game stressfully, especially bosses - just beat the Taurus demon - going in and flaying for a bit before attempting to roll away later (no stamina left!) like I was still playing Witcher 3 (among my favourite games of all time, but combat in Dark Souls appears very well made). So yeah, taking it easy and observing works out.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
For sure. Actually I realised I was approaching the game stressfully, especially bosses - just beat the Taurus demon - going in and flaying for a bit before attempting to roll away later (no stamina left!) like I was still playing Witcher 3 (among my favourite games of all time, but combat in Dark Souls appears very well made). So yeah, taking it easy and observing works out.
Another big hint resistance is probably the best stat. It allows you to take many more hits with light armor.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Another big hint resistance is probably the best stat. It allows you to take many more hits with light armor.
There is a ton of depth to it it seems, maybe it’s not just fanboyism about Dark Souls. It does have a toxic community of “git gud” bros though.
Perhaps the best breakthrough i had with it was stoping fighting it, and accepting the lack of saves, the loss of money, the respawns, under which it seems there is a masterpiece of a game.

zazajoj

Lurker
Feb 26, 2022
From time to time I play games, but my favorite genre is casual games, the theory that the world is dominated by randomness, which cannot be generalized. This theory was advocated in particular by the ancient Greek philosopher Epicurus and his follower, the Roman poet and philosopher Lucretius, as well as other philosophers. But honestly, my favorite game is Foosball - a fast-paced game that has millions of fans around the world. It was created by analogy with the classic soccer, but instead of soccer players goals here are scored figurines of players. I look through the website every day looking for a new pro table, unfortunately my budget is limited but I'm not stopping looking.

toxatyt

Lurker
Feb 19, 2022
From time to time I play games, but my favorite genre is casual games, the theory that the world is dominated by randomness, which cannot be generalized. This theory was advocated in particular by the ancient Greek philosopher Epicurus and his follower, the Roman poet and philosopher Lucretius, as well as other philosophers. But honestly, my favorite game is Foosball - a fast-paced game that has millions of fans around the world. It was created by analogy with the classic soccer, but instead of soccer players goals here are scored figurines of players. I look through the website every day looking for a new pro table, unfortunately my budget is limited but I'm not stopping looking.
You have an interesting idea, I also like table soccer and I know a couple of interesting facts about it, here are some of them: There are about ten versions of the origin of table soccer. One legend says that Harold Tronton once made a makeshift stadium on the kitchen table. Matchboxes were goals, and the role of players played matches. International table soccer competitions are held since the 50s of the 20th century, and it is very interesting website where you want to buy a table, I can tell you that there is a very large selection, I wish you buy a table as soon as possible and enjoy the game.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Elden Ring comes out in a few days and is made by the same developer as Dark Souls with a similar feel in combat, but more open world. Definitely on my list to play at some point in the future.
it's insanely good. It really feels like the proper culmination of all the games up till then. It's got aspects of all them and it's insanely good. And the story which is always great in these games is much more up front and I feel hooked into the mystery right from the start (the other games in the series the story is for the second play through).

Reactions: Wildlands

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
it's insanely good. It really feels like the proper culmination of all the games up till then. It's got aspects of all them and it's insanely good. And the story which is always great in these games is much more up front and I feel hooked into the mystery right from the start (the other games in the series the story is for the second play through).
I am still in the very beginning of Dark Souls after playing for about 10 days, just beat the gargoyles by summoning Solaire. It felt like a let-down, anticlimatic, but after 2 hours of running back and dying to them repeatedly I threw in the towel. Then I spent another hour trying to kill the Black Knight in Undead Burg - in the end I did it by cheesing him with plunge attacks from the stairs he (she? this one looks fairly feminine) doesn't climb. It's an intense game, sometimes after a "successful" run I feel a bit drained. The attention to detail is incredible, absolutely incredible, as is the atmosphere: oppressive, depressing, scary even.

I saw a long video of Elden Ring a few days back, it looks very clean and bright and colourful - not to mention my potato of a PC would be absolutely unable to play it. For now I am still drawn to play Dark Souls, even if it means I am getting repeatedly destroyed.

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
Been playing Lost Ark and Total Warhammer 3 and a co-op campaign of Stellaris with a friend (this is when a lot of pipe smoking gets done).
Been enjoying watching people play Elden Ring on twitch.

Work starts up again in a week or two and soon the gaming/smoking all day will come to an end, gotta enjoy it while I can!

cragdhack

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2021
Romania
Been playing Elden Ring for a few days now, about 30 hours in.

It's honestly the best Fromsoft game I've played so far, in my opinion. (Dark Souls 1 + Remaster, 2 + SotFS, 3, Sekiro. Don't have a Playstation for Bloodborne and Demon's Souls)

It's refreshing that there are no more roadblock bosses, there's always something new to explore to power up long before really having to tackle them. It's also wonderful that the game -still- does not care about you, life in it just goes on. Do you meet someone, they give you a potential task and you beat the game forgetting about it? Tough luck. Does someone tell you that they're heading someplace and they're looking forward to meet you again? Keep an eye out, cause they won't be shooting out flares for you to spot. It does away with overburdening you with a busy questlog or a crowded map, it's up to you to keep track of things, though it does offer some marking / checking tools to help you with that.

There's always something new to find. Incredible locations, interesting people, exhilarating fights and the game makes it clear that maybe you're somewhere you shouldn't be yet, but it lets you dare running in with rewards that are potentially proportional to the danger you're facing, which can make lighter areas a lot easier to conquer once you return.

Couple all this with the community [Jolly co-operation, intense invasions, helpful (or at least funny) written messages / bloodstains left by other players] and you get the culmination of From Software's work.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019

It's honestly the best Fromsoft game I've played so far, in my opinion. (Dark Souls 1 + Remaster, 2 + SotFS, 3, Sekiro. Don't have a Playstation for Bloodborne and Demon's Souls)

It's refreshing that there are no more roadblock bosses, there's always something new to explore to power up long before really having to tackle them.
Yeah the best part of the game is you don't get stuck. That fight too tough go do something else look through some mines or something maybe find something that will help. I feel like Sekiro which is a great game was the worst for that. Especially the way you had to beat bosses to get more life.

H

Hfinn

When I was a student, I used to play Defense of the Ancients, or simply DotA, is one of the many maps for Warcraft that has essentially become a separate tactical game with its own rules.

In opposite corners of the map there are already built bases with barracks, towers and fountain. With a certain frequency, mobs appear at these bases and move towards each other along three roads, and when they collide, they begin to rob and kill each other. The player's task is to make a profit by participating in the robbery, and not let the opponents get a profit. With honestly looted, you can buy or assemble Wunderwaffe, which help both speed up profit making and anally punish competitors. The final goal is to eliminate the enemy's main Caravanserai. Particularly stubborn are also trying to eliminate the fountain, which not only provides spa treatment services, but is also equipped with a six-barreled flamethrower to welcome everyone.

The symptoms that appear - playing 6-8 hours a day, a narrow circle of interests, poor academic performance - are not much different from the usual manifestations of chronic gaming.

Charrington

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2022
Flagler County, Florida
When I was a student, I used to play Defense of the Ancients, or simply DotA, is one of the many maps for Warcraft that has essentially become a separate tactical game with its own rules.

In opposite corners of the map there are already built bases with barracks, towers and fountain. With a certain frequency, mobs appear at these bases and move towards each other along three roads, and when they collide, they begin to rob and kill each other. The player's task is to make a profit by participating in the robbery, and not let the opponents get a profit. With honestly looted, you can buy or assemble Wunderwaffe, which help both speed up profit making and anally punish competitors. The final goal is to eliminate the enemy's main Caravanserai. Particularly stubborn are also trying to eliminate the fountain, which not only provides spa treatment services, but is also equipped with a six-barreled flamethrower to welcome everyone.

The symptoms that appear - playing 6-8 hours a day, a narrow circle of interests, poor academic performance - are not much different from the usual manifestations of chronic gaming.
So what you are saying is a lot of gaming is bad?

I would write more but gotta get back to Gran Turismo.

Rockyrepose

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Wyoming USA

It's refreshing that there are no more roadblock bosses, there's always something new to explore to power up long before really having to tackle them. It's also wonderful that the game -still- does not care about you, life in it just goes on. Do you meet someone, they give you a potential task and you beat the game forgetting about it? Tough luck. Does someone tell you that they're heading someplace and they're looking forward to meet you again? Keep an eye out, cause they won't be shooting out flares for you to spot. It does away with overburdening you with a busy questlog or a crowded map, it's up to you to keep track of things, though it does offer some marking / checking tools to help you with that.

There's always something new to find. Incredible locations, interesting people, exhilarating fights and the game makes it clear that maybe you're somewhere you shouldn't be yet, but it lets you dare running in with rewards that are potentially proportional to the danger you're facing, which can make lighter areas a lot easier to conquer once you return.

Couple all this with the community [Jolly co-operation, intense invasions, helpful (or at least funny) written messages / bloodstains left by other players] and you get the culmination of From Software's work.
My first Fromsoft souls game and what I find fascinating is how much I've been conditioned to find dying in a game as a negative. I am finally embracing this aspect of the game and it took me many hours to wrap my head around it. Once I realized this is a purposeful mechanic I have really started to enjoy myself.

I haven't had enough free time to really get into it and I'm on my 2nd character because I wasn't enjoying the play style of my first choice, hell, I may try another before I pick one I'm going to devote a hundred hours into. I know you can shape any character into your play style but I'm too much of a min maxer to do that. I'm glad I picked this up and it looks amazing.

Charrington

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2022
Flagler County, Florida