PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Better not let the wife see!

My wife will often take a puff of my pipe if it's something I think is really good. Last weekend, I fell asleep early on Friday night, and she ended up packing herself one of my pipes and smoking it after taking a couple puffs of my Wilke 191 earlier in the evening. You guys gotta do a better job getting your wives on board puffy

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My wife will often take a puff of my pipe if it's something I think is really good. Last weekend, I fell asleep early on Friday night, and she ended up packing herself one of my pipes and smoking it after taking a couple puffs of my Wilke 191 earlier in the evening. You guys gotta do a better job getting your wives on board puffy
Mine took such a liking to Rouxgaroux, I had to get her a pound.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
My wife hates the smell, and makes a point to tell me so. I smoked cigars when we met, and she’d sometimes take a drag, but she hates the smell of my pipe tobacco. Even the cigar leaf blends. ?‍♂️

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Glad to be of service. But, I think it is the honey topping in MacBitey's Virginia #1 that makes it bitey. I don't remember SNF being bitey, but in my mind I think I do associate SNF with VA #1. Either way, I haven't really tapped a jar since I ordered it.
I have been smoking on that 2013 VA #1 from you and it's great! You just have to smoke it gentle like a true Dane.

Reactions: dcon

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
my wife is on board but did I mention I have roughly 325 unopened tins and 5 totes of jars to move to our new house??

my wife has her own "cellar" that's a couple pounds and maybe 7 pipes. She thinks she smokes a pipe but does it like twice a year.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Maybe one day I will learn to like the things that you like. I am still a newbie... just ten years or so into it. I've got a long time to go. puffy
haha no really it can bite. I have to try to smoke it really really slow is what I'm saying.
plus I'm a nicotine weakling so you may be suckling on it like a calf trying to get nutrients searching for that nic.

I just constantly lie to my wife about everything. That way, if she ever catches me in a lie, she'll have to question her whole reality... "If pipes don't really cost just $50, then I wonder if he really bought his truck for $500." Then, when confronted, I can just gaslight her with... "that's all ridiculous! Who would believe that a brand new truck could possibly be $500?"
Sure, sure, she'll probably beat the crap out of me, but it makes a great story. puffy

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
haha no really it can bite. I have to try to smoke it really really slow is what I'm saying.
plus I'm a nicotine weakling so you may be suckling on it like a calf trying to get nutrients searching for that nic.
I've never experienced Mac Baren's infamous bite from any of their blends, though if it's like Borkum Riff, I understand completely.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I've never experienced Mac Baren's infamous bite from any of their blends, though if it's like Borkum Riff, I understand completely.
nah VA #1 is like a broken VA flake that is similar to Newminster 400 (probably same topping) but with more topping. It's really sugary and can bite if you overpuff at all... or sometimes at the end of the smoke.

another problem (for some people IMO) with Mac B is they can take an unexpectedly long time to dry..

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
nah VA #1 is like a broken VA flake that is similar to Newminster 400 (probably same topping) but with more topping. It's really sugary and can bite if you overpuff at all... or sometimes at the end of the smoke.
I've always been fond of that one. It and Symphony were my introduction to Mac Baren many years ago.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
my wife is on board but did I mention I have roughly 325 unopened tins and 5 totes of jars to move to our new house??

my wife has her own "cellar" that's a couple pounds and maybe 7 pipes. She thinks she smokes a pipe but does it like twice a year.

Hey, in the grand scheme of moving an entire house of stuff, a bunch of totes and boxes is a hell of a lot easier than even one piece of large furniture! Unfortunately in my case, our house is rather small, and I'm running out of space for my baccy, though I don't have nearly as much as you.

On the wives smoking issue (or smoking wives - pun intended) that's pretty much my wife as well, though she's content just to smoke one of my pipes when she wants one.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Hey, in the grand scheme of moving an entire house of stuff, a bunch of totes and boxes is a hell of a lot easier than even one piece of large furniture! Unfortunately in my case, our house is rather small, and I'm running out of space for my baccy, though I don't have nearly as much as you.

On the wives smoking issue (or smoking wives - pun intended) that's pretty much my wife as well, though she's content just to smoke one of my pipes when she wants one.
Have one commissioned with her favorite stone embedded in the stem for an anniversary gift.

It's really sugary and can bite if you overpuff at all... or sometimes at the end of the smoke.
I know why I don't enjoy VA #1. My Virginia pipes are all tall and narrowed chambered. Overly sweet Virginias tend to be more focused in those pipes and bite no matter what. No one has ever accused me of puffing too hard, or even "puffing" at all. But, VA #1 does do better in a wider pot chamber, but I just don't enjoy smoking Virginias that way. Therefore, some tobaccos (especially the cheap ones) that others may enjoy, I just exclude from my rotation.

But, it is fun to poke fun at them. Hell, if we can't have fun amongst ourselves by bashing a "lesser" tobacco, or a "lesser" tobacco company, and someone is going to take something like that seriously, then maybe socializing isn't for them. Those folks can just go smoke some Mixture 79 and think about the mistakes they've made in life. puffy

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I know why I don't enjoy VA #1. My Virginia pipes are all tall and narrowed chambered. Overly sweet Virginias tend to be more focused in those pipes and bite no matter what. No one has ever accused me of puffing too hard, or even "puffing" at all. But, VA #1 does do better in a wider pot chamber, but I just don't enjoy smoking Virginias that way. Therefore, some tobaccos (especially the cheap ones) that others may enjoy, I just exclude from my rotation.

But, it is fun to poke fun at them. Hell, if we can't have fun amongst ourselves by bashing a "lesser" tobacco, or a "lesser" tobacco company, and someone is going to take something like that seriously, then maybe socializing isn't for them. Those folks can just go smoke some Mixture 79 and think about the mistakes they've made in life. puffy
I think you're right about the wide chamber.. I usually smoke them in a pot shape.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Have one commissioned with her favorite stone embedded in the stem for an anniversary gift.

Not a bad idea at all, but I think I'm better off sticking to gifts that she would like rather than gifts that I would like :LOL:

Besides, I already established an anniversary tradition. She is a voracious reader, and she has a very long list of favorite books, so every year I just buy her as nicely-bound a copy of one of her favorites as I can find and write a little note to her inside. Easy peasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.