PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Now have 2. First one came to us as a stray 8 years ago. The other showed up at our back door with her mom as a 4 month old kitten over a year ago. Couldn't resist feeding the 2 since a kitten was involved. Took care of them outside til the mom disappeared permanently 1 day. Shortly thereafter, the "kitten" got pregnant and subsequently gave birth to a litter of 5 in our iris bed during an unusually cold and rainy period prompting us to move momma and her litter onto our sun porch to save them from the elements. After 3 months we recently took the kittens to a shelter as we couldn't find homes for them and kept the momma, moving her inside the house. She,too, is a sweetie though our first cat is only begrudgingly accepting her and still occasionally fights with her when jealous about our attention.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Never trust a cat...just sayin.

giphy.gif

doug535

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2019
Independence, MO.
This guy (his name is "Kushy") is usually within arm's reach while I smoke my pipes ...this fella had 'crystals' in his bladder last week and is finally back to his normal, loafy self. His two companions were off somewhere, likely committing crimes... View attachment 40812
Nice, reminds me of my "Tiger", he was a moose, 17.7lbs of goofball.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
This guy (his name is "Kushy") is usually within arm's reach while I smoke my pipes ...this fella had 'crystals' in his bladder last week and is finally back to his normal, loafy self. His two companions were off somewhere, likely committing crimes... View attachment 40812

My cat (posted previously in this thread alongside his oil painting portrait :LOL:) also has the crystal issue. He has to eat prescription cat food only. His small ear (that was mostly chewed off by another animal in a fight) also tends to gunk up, presumably because the inside of the ear is more exposed to the elements, so we have to clean his little ear every other week or so. There are several other things he has going on, but suffice it say, he is kind of high maintenance. He's my buddy though, so I don't mind, and I joke that he's my Luxury Cat (because of his extreme finnickiness on several things, including those above)

doug535

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2019
Independence, MO.
My cat (posted previously in this thread alongside his oil painting portrait :LOL:) also has the crystal issue. He has to eat prescription cat food only. His small ear (that was mostly chewed off by another animal in a fight) also tends to gunk up, presumably because the inside of the ear is more exposed to the elements, so we have to clean his little ear every other week or so. There are several other things he has going on, but suffice it say, he is kind of high maintenance. He's my buddy though, so I don't mind, and I joke that he's my Luxury Cat (because of his extreme finnickiness on several things, including those above)
Our cats are on a special diet also. The original food we were given to give them when we got them ended up causing upset tummy in one and a constant weepy eye on the other. Now their food runs $60 for 8lbs and you can only get it by prescription. Im glad now that they are on the smaller side of the breed. ?

doug535

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2019
Independence, MO.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Our cats are on a special diet also. The original food we were given to give them when we got them ended up causing upset tummy in one and a constant weepy eye on the other. Now their food runs $60 for 8lbs and you can only get it by prescription. Im glad now that they are on the smaller side of the breed. ?

I always fed my pets high quality food, so it was kind of pricey anyway (for pet food, that is), so luckily in our case the prescription cat food is only a little higher in price than quality non-prescription food. He's a cat, so he doesn't eat that much food anyway puffy

It's only a small sacrifice to feed an animal a higher quality food made of better ingredients, but to the animal it's a huge deal. Worth it IMO for those of us who choose to keep pets.

doug535

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2019
Independence, MO.
I always fed my pets high quality food, so it was kind of pricey anyway (for pet food, that is), so luckily in our case the prescription cat food is only a little higher in price than quality non-prescription food. He's a cat, so he doesn't eat that much food anyway puffy

It's only a small sacrifice to feed an animal a higher quality food made of better ingredients, but to the animal it's a huge deal. Worth it IMO for those of us who choose to keep pets.
Yep, previous diet was a specialized formula for the Savannah cat breed and not inexpensive in its own.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When cats take a liking to me, I feel honored, like I've won some sort of award. If I had to choose between the respect of a cat and some sort of human-conferred award, I'd be strongly inclined toward the cat. When one of my felines passes on, I feel like he or she is checking on me to make sure I have feline supervision. Sure enough, it isn't too long until I am taken into custody again.

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
I’ve always had a cat or two around my whole life. Dogs come and go, often running off. My cats have always been constant. I have always appreciated that any trust or affection from a cat is wholly earned too. Some of my cats have been finicky and not as pleasant while some have been lap cats thy were made for affection. That’s the attraction to me. They’re all completely different.

Status
Not open for further replies.