Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
When cats take a liking to me, I feel honored, like I've won some sort of award. If I had to choose between the respect of a cat and some sort of human-conferred award, I'd be strongly inclined toward the cat. When one of my felines passes on, I feel like he or she is checking on me to make sure I have feline supervision. Sure enough, it isn't too long until I am taken into custody again.
I've always been a cat magnet, which is ironic given that in my 20's and 30's my cat allergy was so bad that within 5 minutes inside the home of a cat owner I'd start having uncontrollable sneezing fits. The reason we ended up with our first of 2 cats was, when we moved into our current home she would follow me everywhere in our yard and continued to try to follow me into our home. When we found out she was homeless, we took her in and named her Percy due to her perseverance about wanting in the family.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Where's the pic?
Photos take time.

Buy the film, load the film, expose the film, process the film, print the film...

Not to mention all the driving involved to the shop(s) and back.

Unless you have a darkroom in your house, of course, which is a whole new can of worms.

THEN comes scanning the print to be able to be sent over a FAX-type machine, where some staffer here has to do still more stuff.

These things take time, in other words. Be patient. puffy

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Photos take time.

Buy the film, load the film, expose the film, process the film, print the film...

Unless you have a darkroom in your house, of course, which is a whole new can of worms.

THEN comes scanning the print to be able to be sent over a FAX-type machine, where some staffer here has to do still more stuff.

I use only courtroom sketches. really captures the moment.

doug535

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2019
Independence, MO.
Photos take time.

Aw, c'mon George, at least get up to the 2000's, they have that new fangled digitized film now. ?

Reactions: kg.legat0 and BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Our little gal, now gone, was on prescription kidney diet for about ten years. I think it really extended her life. She was ambulatory and eating until the last week or ten days of her 18 or 19 year life. We now have the two younger male cats.
When people lose their only cat, I don't expect them to run out and get another, but I tell them to keep the litter box in storage, along with most of the toys. They may or may not want another cat, eventually, but a cat may want them. Cats can be persuasive, if not downright insistent. Once they're in the door ... you know the story. They seldom fail an audition. And boy do they live on in my memory, from Fluffy who tutored me in cat etiquette when I was four years old, on through the "royal line." When you've known a cat, they don't go away. Death is an inconvenience but not the end to them.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Nothing to see here.....move it along:LOL:. Like all animals, more than most people actually
View attachment 40791
I saw a Gary Larons interview where they asked him if he liked animals more then people. His response was basically sort of, I'll put it this way I've never met a bad Irish Setter.
Or in other words I stand for the case that it isn't a personality trait to like animals more then people, it's just being observant.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
my avatar is my little guy. He's awesome. His name is Ginger because even though he was terrified at first and made lots of defensive strikes he still held back. He was a rescue and in rough shape. You could tell he didn't trust people much but was still such a little sweetie who loved people. He'd go in for cuddles get scared and bite all the time. He's the best cat now though. He is the only cat I've lived with that's a great hunter/player and a great lap cat too. My other cats where one or the other. I love when playing with a cat is actually a competition where you try to keep the toy away from them instead of choosing when they get the toy to keep their interest up. He's fast like I won't even see him knock the toy out of my hand.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I’ve always had a cat or two around my whole life. Dogs come and go, often running off. My cats have always been constant. I have always appreciated that any trust or affection from a cat is wholly earned too. Some of my cats have been finicky and not as pleasant while some have been lap cats thy were made for affection. That’s the attraction to me. They’re all completely different.
they're an eccentric bunch.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Felines are one of the most successful mammalian families. They have existed in a wide range of sizes, including some much larger than any big cats alive today, and ranging over most of the land mass. Lions in various forms, for just one example, lived all over North America and Europe, fossils prove. Now it seems some of the smaller species, notably our domestic cats, have adapted the strategies for evolutionary success by domesticating humans. They straddle cohabitation with people and free range hunting, comfy household dwelling and feral life. They have a short digestive tract that requires mostly protein, i.e. prey, which makes them vulnerable to shortages of prey animals, but they have trained people to fill in a lot of the gaps so have changed little in anatomical design for thousands of years. They predate people by a lot, so they are, species-wise, our great great grandparents. No wonder they have a certain authority ... that makes us chuckle and then obey.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Check out T.S. Eliot's book Ole Possum's Book of Practical Cats, especially the poem on The Naming of Cats. I usually begin by making a long list of names and trying to match it to the cat. One rescue adopted from the county animal shelter I named Linwood (from the long list) right in the check-out area. The cat took to it immediately. The crowd in the lobby took notice. When I went out the door with him in the carrier, the entire group, in unison, said, "Goodbye Linwood!" He looked like a cougar, and wouldn't get in a carrier to go to the vet, so I shouldered him and the carrier dangled in my hand, and a tattooed motorcyclist hauled up into the parking lot and gave me a rigorous thumbs up. One of my current male siblings I named Garland, but he just wouldn't answer to it. Eventually, we figured out he liked "t" sounds, like pretty kitty, and we also noticed he was dominant left pawed, so we called him Lefty, and that satisfied him. These guys are brothers, but like all cats, are hugely individual. The plump gray one, "a well-rounded cat," is an engineer, loves to jimmy doors and tinker with hardware. Fred, who came with his name, is a poet, distracted, preoccupied, dreamy, over-sensitive, and a total sumptuary.

Status
Not open for further replies.