PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BingBong

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
2021/2 I was hospitalised and then in a care home for 6 months; initially, I was critically ill and smoking wasn't even on the radar. Some time into all of that, a good friend brought me gum, lozenges and a mouth spray for nic hits - the mouth spray (Nicorette) was a blast. I still carry one and use it if I really need a hit when smoking is impossible.

RYO, still have a couple before I get up or if I'm in bed for any length of time, but they're so unsatisfactory on a taste level, there's little incentive and with some discipline, I can and have substituted them with the spray.

There's no substitute for a good bowl of a favourite blend. Occasionally, I'll take down smoke in the top half if I'm in need of the nic, it's pretty rare though. Just can't smoke a pipe in bed, not happening, sadly lol.

Reactions: JOHN72 and wernerat

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but I found nasal snuff to really deliver a good nicotine fix. That immediate effect like a cigarette rather than a slow steady nic delivery like from a pipe. When I got to the point where I needed a cigarette, I'd throw a pinch in and that really did the trick.

Reactions: JOHN72

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
I never smoked cigarettes or chewed. I love cigars and now smoke about one bowl on my pipe per day. I just wanted to say that I really feel for y'all who are dealing with this. A friend of mine said his doctor once told him that cigarettes could be more addictive than heroine in some cases. I found that hard to believe, but guess it is true.

Hang in there and best of luck to all of you in your efforts.

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
I never smoked cigarettes or chewed. I love cigars and now smoke about one bowl on my pipe per day. I just wanted to say that I really feel for y'all who are dealing with this. A friend of mine said his doctor once told him that cigarettes could be more addictive than heroine in some cases. I found that hard to believe, but guess it is true.

Hang in there and best of luck to all of you in your efforts.
With its availability and it's social acceptance, it makes it harder. While I'm in no position to compare cigarette addiction to opoids (and I surely won't), caving in and getting a cigarette is as hard as bumming one from someone with a cigarette you see walking down the street or as hard as walking into any gas station or kwiki mart and handing over legal tender. That availability makes it harder to quit. I can spend weeks at home and not miss it. But then I go out somewhere and there's guys hanging around front smoking and those cravings hits like a brick wrapped in barbed wire.

Reactions: wernerat

wernerat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2023
I substituted cigarettes for vape. I wouldn’t really call that quiting, but it’s at least cheaper. One day I hope to drop the vape all together and just smoke a pipe.
In Britain they recommend vaping to quit smoking. Studies showed it is way less harming. Naturally no nicotin or at least nothing going into your lung is the best. But vaping is still much better then the coffin nails.
To be fair I enjoyed my time as a smoker. It sounds stupid but it was part of my life. Life now changes as newly father and I rather live longer then shorter.
Again still got a way to go. I consider a pipe a day as one glass of wine. You do it for pleasure and not for the addiction.

I started smoking cigarettes at 15 and smoked them until I was 35. Doctor told me I had asthma and walking pneumonia and would never see my kids graduate high school if I didn't stop.
I went home, smoked my last cigarette and never smoked one again. Started smoking the pipe (again) at 36 and have been with a pipe for the last 38 years. I do not and never have inhaled my pipe.
Cigarette smoking is about two things. First it is habitual behavior. Your hands like cigarettes and get used to them. To help quitting, find something else to do with your hands. I started a p/t time job as a technical writer. It was easy, as I was an engineer. The keyboard kept my hands busy and the old floppy disks did not get along with tobacco smoke very well. Second is the drug aspect. You (and I) are addicted to nicotine. It has changed your brain and will hurt you if you take it away. There are a lot of ways, many of them noted above, to maintain your nicotine level. Patches and gum seem to be the most prevalent. The post above about cigs delivering a spike of nicotine, while the pipe is more slow and steady is right on. Do not expect to pick up a pipe and get that nic hit in 30 seconds. I would suggest that you get a box of patches and wear them as you transition off of cigs and onto pipes. Do not make the mistake of smoking the highest nicotine rated pipe tobacco; you will just get sick to your stomach. Finally, remind yourself every day why you are quitting. Eventually, your brain will belive you and stop pestering your for a cigarette. Best of Luck!

(NOTE: Despite my alias, I am not a medical doctor. Any advice I give should not be considered as medical advice from a doctor. I do have a PhD in project management, so I am a doctor, but not a medical doctor.)

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Update to my response post from a year ago on May 6.

I had been wanting to quit the cigs.
This past Feb I got really sick with an upper respatory cold. My lungs were filled with congestion and I tore a inter-coastal muscle, they are the muscles between your ribs. It feels just like a broken rib.
So there I was with lungs filled with conjestion, but I cannot cough due to the intense pain. It was the perfect time to quit. I haven't had a cig since Feb 1st, and have no interest in going back. It was a 40 year battle, and I won... finally

Copperhead

Lurker
Jun 4, 2024
When I quit, I first broke the oral fixation and the nicotine fix by chewing nicotine gum and smoking herbal cigarettes. Training my mind and body to realize the nicotine fix didn't come from smoking (herbal cigarettes tasted terrible) was very helpful.

Once I was confident enough, I dropped the herbal cigs and bought a bunch of licorice root and slowly weaned off the nicotine gum over the course of a few months. I would cut them down to 3" and whittle the bark off and hold them like a cigarette in my mouth, eventually chewing them.

The licorice root stuck with me for almost a year, and I weaned off of that, too....always had to be careful not to poison myself (you can do that with licorice root).....though starting pipe smoking helped greatly....

Good luck!

denholrl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 27, 2011
Try smoking. a cig in a closet. also, set a date to start a major project and agree that on that date you'll stop cigs.

denholrl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 27, 2011
Update to my response post from a year ago on May 6.

I had been wanting to quit the cigs.
This past Feb I got really sick with an upper respatory cold. My lungs were filled with congestion and I tore a inter-coastal muscle, they are the muscles between your ribs. It feels just like a broken rib.
So there I was with lungs filled with conjestion, but I cannot cough due to the intense pain. It was the perfect time to quit. I haven't had a cig since Feb 1st, and have no interest in going back. It was a 40 year battle, and I won... finally
I'm happy for you. Congratulation.

Reactions: monty55

jagsdriver

Lurker
Jun 13, 2024
Vancouver Island BC
Title edited for caps and brevity. Please read rule 9,

I love or loved smoking cigarettes but I kinda thing I start to grow out of it.

I already smoke self rolled VA tobacco and smoke the half of it while I roll the next one in the evening with beer.

I think I want to kick the addiction at some point and just enjoy 3-4 bowls of pipe.yeah another addiction but still better :D

Any of you transitioned to it and give me some advice?

Pipe tobacco is so much more interesting in flavour and it is really like a meditation for me.

I know at work I will sometimes will kick back to the fast nik hit and I accept that but it in the end I would rather enjoy good quality tobacco and a focused enjoyment.
"Almost 50 years ago I walked away from a two pack a day habit. Cold turkey. Don't complicate with different ways of quitting, it only makes it more difficult. Easily said but just do it.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Years ago I hauled tobacco for RJR and PM. Mostly to NC and Richmond. One load in particular had boxes on it with a biohazard suit warning to use. I remember asking the gentleman at the dock about and he said he would never buy a pre rolled cigarette for that reason, it isn't tobacco anymore. It's something else. Funny years of cigs, and on and off cigar and pipe smoking, I have never craved a pipe or a cigar as I have a cigarette. A battle that never ends it seems.
As far as professions go, the people whom I see smoking the most here are either long distance truck drivers or Taxi cab drivers

Reactions: JOHN72