PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

wernerat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2023
@wernerat did you ever quit ?
Sadly bot yet. But the will is there!
As we get a newborn I don't find a spot yet to enjoy my 1-2 pipes over a day. So zig it is for short kick.
Soon I can get a room to enjoy my pipe instead of zigs and without harming the newborn.
So it will be a process for a year or so but I m committed and will also get some help with hypnosis. I keep you updates:)

wernerat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2023
I don’t know if I have quit yet, but I smoked my last cigarette on July 4th. This is my experience

1. You should be determined to quit. It is a mental thing. This is my first serious attempt

2. I gave up alcohol earlier during the year. That kind of boosts confidence

3. I set the date about 3 weeks back. Actively tried to reduce the first two weeks. Third week was a vacation and I smoked normally but noticed that I am smoking less. Last day of vacation I smoked my last cigarette

4. Don’t know if the pipes / cigars helping. I used to smoke 2 pipes / cigars before. Now it is 3

5. I try to believe that I am in control of my mind, and any medicines or other aids mean that I am not in control - So obviously did not use any

Should re-visit this post in another year
The thing is choice. If you got a choice the addiction is gone.

Reactions: cshubhra

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
As we get a newborn I don't find a spot yet to enjoy my 1-2 pipes over a day. So zig it is for short kick.
Soon I can get a room to enjoy my pipe instead of zigs and without harming the newborn.
So it will be a process for a year or so but I m committed and will also get some help with hypnosis. I keep you updates:)
Sounds like what you need is a place to stash your pipe out side so you can run out have a few puffs contemplating life for 5 min then stash it till the next time. Easier to relight a bowl when you need it and arguably healthier and definitely cheaper!

Maybe a more nicotine forward tobacco.

Aug 1, 2012
Caveat: I haven't read the entire thread but here's my opinion.

Addiction is both the same for everyone and different for the individual. Tapering can, but often doesn't, work. Don't beat yourself up for relapse, it's part of recovery. Changing habits can work but if you're only changing the delivery system you haven't really achieved recovery. Do what you need to do but be honest with yourself.

Those are my thoughts from my own experiences. YMMV

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
My daughter just turned 3 when I inadvertently quit. Had a busy weekend and couldn't get a smoke in. Sunday night, I told myself "let's see how long you can ride this out."

Granted vape helped a lot (and I still vape), but haven't had a square in 10 months.

Sounds like you have a plan. You got this.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
A couple months in to smoking pipes I realized I had inadvertently quit smoking cigarettes on a daily basis.
I don't think I ever had a strong addiction to nicotine, moreso it was the habitual hand to mouth ritual that I was hooked on.

Understand when/where/why you feel the strongest urges to reach for a cigarette and replace it with a pipe.
You can always set your pipe down and come back to it.

If you truly feel you have a physical or mental dependence on nicotine, try some snuff!
There for a while, especially at work, when I wanted a nicotine boost (times when I'd normally walk outside and smoke a cig) I'd reach for my snuff box and take a sniff or two.

If you think you get queer looks for smoking a pipe lol - try taking snuff in public. People's eyes will bug out of their heads.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I smoked cigarettes for 18 years. I switched to dipping full time now. It's been 2 months and 2 days since I've had a cigarette. Don't miss them one bit. Easier for me with dip, to enjoy my pipes without thinking about a cigarette. The only unfortunate thing is that I've had a cough since 2 weeks in. My Dr says it could me 3-4 months before the cough goes away and my lungs heal.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Quitted once for 6 months. Then got on a pager duty and that was that. Wasn't hard to quit. But the question is, do you really want to quit? I mean, really really want to quit? I thought about it. And the answer for me was solid no. A brain surgeon asked me once. "Do you want to smoke or live longer?" My answer was "I prefer to smoke. I like it." I mean, I don't mind living. It's got its good days, but it's better with smoking. And when I die, I guess I'll quit.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Title edited for caps and brevity. Please read rule 9,

I love or loved smoking cigarettes but I kinda thing I start to grow out of it.

I already smoke self rolled VA tobacco and smoke the half of it while I roll the next one in the evening with beer.

I think I want to kick the addiction at some point and just enjoy 3-4 bowls of pipe.yeah another addiction but still better :D

Any of you transitioned to it and give me some advice?

Pipe tobacco is so much more interesting in flavour and it is really like a meditation for me.

I know at work I will sometimes will kick back to the fast nik hit and I accept that but it in the end I would rather enjoy good quality tobacco and a focused enjoyment.
any updates?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I smoked cigarettes for 18 years. I switched to dipping full time now. It's been 2 months and 2 days since I've had a cigarette. Don't miss them one bit. Easier for me with dip, to enjoy my pipes without thinking about a cigarette. The only unfortunate thing is that I've had a cough since 2 weeks in. My Dr says it could me 3-4 months before the cough goes away and my lungs heal.
pretty much how I quit and the cough goes awaye eventually. But what will blow your mind is the first time you have to do a heavy activity and find out how much better you can breath.
@wernerat maybe get a small pipe and some high nic thing like semios to get a quick nic fix in. Sounds like your issue is not being able to get that quick hit. Nasal snuff might also help, but that's a pain in the neck to learn how to use.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Take my advice as a grain of salt. I smoke 2 packs of cigarettes a day, cigars, and my pipe in-between. I think if you're heavily addicted which I am, maybe buy Kentucky Fire Cured. I smoke it straight and half a bowl makes me feel sick. I like it though. But what I mean is, you will get your nic hit with that. The chest hit brings me back to cigs everytime. But you wont miss nicotine if you smoke a strong bold tobacco like that.

seaweed

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2023
Maine
I can’t recommend the snus (or even zyn) recommendations enough. Nothing else could get me off the nails or vape. Snus Central is a good place to try a lot of different kinds. Shipping is high so you have to order a lot to make it worth it, but they have fast shipping. There’s no spitting with snus, so a lot more convenient than dip, and a lot less conspicuous in the lip.

I like Ettan Original and basically nothing else. Straight tobacco flavor, very tasty. Try a variety and then order a few rolls. General Original is the standard, but I can barely stomach it, ymmv.

Also, a lot more convenient if you have a little one at home. My boy just turned three and I can’t imagine trying to maintain a regular pipe habit those first couple years. Just too busy and exhausted lol

Ilynelson

Lurker
Jan 31, 2023
Hey seaweed, it's awesome to hear that you've found a solution that works for you with snus and zyn, especially with a busy family life. Having a little one at home can certainly make it tough to maintain any habits that require time and focus, like pipe smoking.

Since you mentioned that vape didn't quite do it for you, I wonder if you've checked out Driplocker Vape? They offer a wide range of vaping options, from pod systems to more advanced setups, and a vast variety of e-liquids that mimic the complex flavors of tobacco. Given that you're into the straight tobacco flavor of Ettan Original, they might have something in their lineup that could interest you.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Ive never jonsed for cigarettes or a pipe but Ive plenty of friends who did. My friends had the best luck with vaping if they had nicotine withdrawl, some with nicotine gum. Smoke your pipe for enjoyment, not to satisify a nicotine requirement.

Right now I have some cigarette papers and tobacco around. I smoke 2 or 3 little self rolled cigarettes. To be honest I really dont enjoy it that much. I dont plan to replenish my tobacco pouch once its gone. Fall is coming which is great for a pipe. I will probably cut down on pipe smoking in the winter since I dont like the house full of smoke. Of course where I live there are plenty of nice days in the sun where a jacket and a pipe makes for a nice sit.

MRW

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas
My advice is to share what worked for me. Being that pipe tobacco comes nowhere close to delivering the level of nicotine cigarettes do, it is best to completely free yourself from this addiction. I quit all nicotine for a period of one year. This included giving up my passion for cigars and pipes. After this one-year period, I was able to resume my passion minus the dependency on cigarettes.

Good luck!

obc83

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2023
I've "quit" a few times. I'm about 90% pipe(lowest nic tobacco I can find) and 10% cigar right now and haven't smoked a butt in 3 months this time. The most successful method I've hit upon for myself is to cheek and chew on cheap cigars when I want a cigarette. I light them occasionally as well. Helps me to switch gears down to the low and slow version of nic consumption that you hear a lot of pipe smokers refer to. I'd also suggest starting with a filtered pipe so you can inhale a tad more "safely" and it's a little more like a cig. Whatever works though.

edit: try not to inhale though. That's how you learn how to really enjoy a pipe, as far as I can tell.

Sep 7, 2023
I still have a couple cigarettes a day right now but after starting and truly enjoying pipe smoking I no longer smoke the 30+ a day. Some days I actually go without a cigarette

greendagger

Lurker
Oct 12, 2023
I totally get the appeal—pipe tobacco does offer a wide variety of flavors and the whole process can be meditative, as you said.
However, if you're looking to kick the nicotine addiction altogether at some point, have you considered vaping as a step in that direction? Vaping can be a helpful tool for smoking cessation, and you still get the "hand-to-mouth" ritual that many smokers enjoy. Plus, you can choose the nicotine level to help you gradually wean off. Websites that sell Vape offer an array of options, from beginner kits to flavored e-liquids, and they're a treasure trove of information on how to transition smoothly.