PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
I will be up at 6 to watch your team yield to the struggling Spurs..... COYS! Semi joking, hope it's a great game for both teams.

Conte has his work cut out for him. I usually find Kane, Son and Mora frightening to play against, but Spurs didn't muster much. That said, I would expect him to get the ship turned around. He's a great coach.

Reactions: Lucashly

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well, it was an even game for both teams, but not great!

We are lucky to finally gotten Conte, and he has material to work with e.g. who you mention above, and a few others who rise to the top for a bit, but it feels like the Spurs are just treading water. Whether they slowly sink though the second half, or actually swim remains to be seen.

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
Well, it was an even game for both teams, but not great!

We are lucky to finally gotten Conte, and he has material to work with e.g. who you mention above, and a few others who rise to the top for a bit, but it feels like the Spurs are just treading water. Whether they slowly sink though the second half, or actually swim remains to be seen.
So much of it will come down to Kane; can he regain his form, does he want to be there, and if not, how much can they get in today's market? I strongly suspect they will long lament not selling him for the reported $135M MC offered. Either way, I expect Spurs to look much different following the summer transfer window.

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
Couldn't agree more.

BTW- Do you watch Men in Blazers? One of the fellows is a die hard Everton fan.
Yeah. Roger is a die-hard Blue. I try to catch that show whenever I remember, especially when Jon Oliver is on, as it's usually the funniest episode of the year.

KaunThePiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2022
New England
www.instagram.com
Cool.

Cheers for the replies

So anyone got any blends they recommend?
Absolutely! Carter Hall and Prince Albert are fantastic "bite free" - "codger" blends. If you're getting tongue bite from them, you're trying to! ? Seriously though, Carter Hall is just a fantastic and maybe even underrated blend these days. C.H. is actually great for breaking in new pipes too.

KaunThePiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2022
New England
www.instagram.com
no tongue bite sucks. Basically you won't really taste anything for a few days and your tongue will feel weird for a few days. The only good thing about it is pain is a good teacher. If a blend keeps giving you tongue bite you know it's not for you if a certain pipe does you learn not to use that pipe. It will happen someday. You'll be smoking a pipe and something will distract you maybe a lady who is too pretty to be talking to you will make you wonder what the heck is going on or you'll see someone fall out of tree and be more concerned with their safety or you'll be reading a how to and trying to figure out what they're telling you to do or someone on a forum will be over explaining something and boom tongue bite. Then you'll be glad it took so long.
It's always the pretty lady for me. My wife especially! I'm still wondering if she had a temporary slip in mental health when she said yes to me?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I find that when I'm lighting my pipe, the smoke can get quite hot and contribute to tongue bite. Does anyone have any tips when it comes to how to avoid sucking in hot smoke while lighting?
Work on your packing, so that you can keep the number of relights to a minimum. This problem of yours will get worse when you're below the half-chamber mark, as you won't have as much tobacco to "cushion" the heat from the flame. Needless to say, don't bother trying to relight dottle: just toss it.

Whilst you get your packing down, try holding the flame ~1/4" to 1/2" above the rim of the pipe—don't touch the flame to the leaf, but let the superheated air beneath the flame do the lighting.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I find that when I'm lighting my pipe, the smoke can get quite hot and contribute to tongue bite. Does anyone have any tips when it comes to how to avoid sucking in hot smoke while lighting?
Hold the flame further from the tobacco. Gently but firmly draw it in. You don't have to light every bit of the top of the pack.

Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.