PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Tobacco Treasures Ad

Old_Newby

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

So I always have a smoke on my way into work which is a 40 min drive.

Problems I got is wicked tongue bite. I've tried tamping more. Tamping less, drying tobacco.

Still get it. Anyone got any advice?
I am new myself and just got the bite bad this week. Read my thread. Based on what you provided it must be wet bacci and cadence. Maybe the driving gets you unfocused, frustrated, etc and you over draw. It could be unconscious since smoking is secondary at the moment. If it’s a new tobacco and you have yet to have a good smoke set it aside and drive with one you know has worked.

I find this is like golf. It’s easy to tell others what they might be doing wrong even when I can’t do it myself. 🤠

dctune

Can't Leave
When we talk about tongue bite, is this a stinging harshness from the tobacco or is it more like a steam burn from superheated moisture?
As I understand it, and as I’ve experienced it, it CAN be from too hot smoke hitting the tongue. But it’s also often a chemical reaction in the body having to with sugars, ph levels, and stuff like that, which I really can’t eloquently explain. I can however attest that it presents as white “burn” spots on the tip or sides of the tongue, which I assume are affected taste buds (?).

At any rate, whenever I have a problem with it, which is rare these days, I use Biotene mouthwash, and smoke less until it clears up. Also, I will stay away from blends that tend to “burn hot.”

Reactions: briarcudgel

coys

Lurker
Feb 15, 2022
Kansas City
As I understand it, and as I’ve experienced it, it CAN be from too hot smoke hitting the tongue. But it’s also often a chemical reaction in the body having to with sugars, ph levels, and stuff like that, which I really can’t eloquently explain. I can however attest that it presents as white “burn” spots on the tip or sides of the tongue, which I assume are affected taste buds (?).

At any rate, whenever I have a problem with it, which is rare these days, I use Biotene mouthwash, and smoke less until it clears up. Also, I will stay away from blends that tend to “burn hot.”
Thanks for the tips!

What sorts of blends tend to burn hottest?

Reactions: dctune

Anchovies

Might Stick Around
I also suffer tongue bite which I believe to be chemical and not totally-related to smoking pace or heat.

There's three things that have made a difference to me lately:

1 - Use a pipe with a 9mm charcoal filter.

2 - I was packing the tobacco too loosely. On the third & final pack I know jam it in as hard as I can while maintaining a nice draw on the unlit pipe (I test as I'm packing). That is not "very hard" btw, but a lot harder than what I was doing.

3 - The Peterson P-Lip mouthpiece made an instant difference. Although now the roof of my mouth becomes irritated, that's a lot better than nasty tongue bite and can be kept minimal with the above two points. I suspect the Savinelli "Dry System" would give similar results.