PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I just got my first kaywoodie—a redroot, which from what understand is a line that began in the 70s. I like the 70s folk look. I like the light weight. I like the nylon stem (a screw in). But man I’m having some trouble adjusting to how that thing smokes. I don’t “get” the stinger thing yet. I think that’s most of it. .. great seeing the pics here!

Reactions: mso489

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
@crash GrashTheGrey... Nathan Davis? is he still on the forum? This is his website, and he works with the guys making the Kaywoodies.
This is their website. Greywoodie, Your Kaywoodie Provider - https://greywoodie.com/

It just seems that old Kaywoodies are popular enough among 'us', that if you asked a question in a thread or post, someone knowledgeable would answer it. For instance, above when I guessed 1950's for my pipe, and below that another guy guessed 1940's for his. You'd think someone would have an idea if we were close or not, but maybe you just can't date most of them after 1936...which some have suggested.

Just finished a sandpaperless restoration. Wish I had a 'before' pic that showed the rim and chamber. The rim had to be meticulously picked clean, but was flawless beneath the nastiness.

20220519_151059 2.jpg20220519_150941.jpg

Aug 1, 2012
All of my Kaywoodie pipes have been impulse purchases, yesterday almost passing on this 'Ninety-Fiver' because they wanted $15. Took another look at the grain and decided I'd take it. It has the stinger intact.

I've asked Kaywoodie questions in other forums and rarely gotten responses. Are there Kaywoodie collectors in this forum?

View attachment 145577
That is one amazing, and relatively rare, Kaywoodie. If you don't want to keep it, hit me up.

The Ninety Fiver was one of their highest grade pipes and was produced to commemorate the company's 95th anniversary. They started production in, I believe, 1946 and it went for about 10-15 years (if I remember correctly). They also produced a Centennial pipe for their 100th anniversary.

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
Me too. It's stamped 'Chesterfield', but looks quite different. Unfortunately, this is one of the few pipes I ever returned to a seller - the stem doesn't even remotely fit the stummel.

View attachment 145604
who is the seller of this pipe if you saying you returned it?Stem is easy to make and the shape of this pipe is old school...do you have any closer pictures of stamp on this chesterfield pipe?where was it made?Thanks!

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
who is the seller of this pipe if you saying you returned it?Stem is easy to make and the shape of this pipe is old school...do you have any closer pictures of stamp on this chesterfield pipe?where was it made?Thanks!

CPF's had faux hallmarks and were made in the good old U.S.A.

Too many of the sellers are active members of the various pipe forums, so I'm not going to start a fight. He took the pipe back, no questions asked, so that's that. I would buy more pipes from him - I've asked questions in advance of bidding, and he's always responded. The bottom line on this pipe is that I wanted the pipe to be something it wasn't, and sure enough, it wasn't.

s-l1600-11.jpg

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
CPF's had faux hallmarks and were made in the good old U.S.A.

Too many of the sellers are active members of the various pipe forums, so I'm not going to start a fight. He took the pipe back, no questions asked, so that's that. I would buy more pipes from him - I've asked questions in advance of bidding, and he's always responded. The bottom line on this pipe is that I wanted the pipe to be something it wasn't, and sure enough, it wasn't.

View attachment 146511
Thanks!Would you mind to PM me his name?I may buy that pipe from him...I got a similar looking pipe but had no idea what mine was...

Reactions: runscott

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
They are a bugger to put a date on but the older models, especially Flame Grain, Connoisseur, 95er & Centenial are amazing pipes. I just brought a All Briar, which as it’s name implies has a briar bit, it’s meer lined and as far as I can make out they were only made for a year with a meer lining, but that could be BS.
I believe the Crème de K’a Crème was the birds eye which was selling for a hundred dollars when Connoisseurs were selling for $20, that puts a little perspective on how scarce they are and the quality of the briar.
At the moment I only have two (until the All Briar arrives) a Campus and a London made extra large billiard. image.jpg

n_irwin

Can't Leave
Apr 15, 2022
Oklahoma, USA
It just seems that old Kaywoodies are popular enough among 'us', that if you asked a question in a thread or post, someone knowledgeable would answer it. For instance, above when I guessed 1950's for my pipe, and below that another guy guessed 1940's for his. You'd think someone would have an idea if we were close or not, but maybe you just can't date most of them after 1936...which some have suggested.

Just finished a sandpaperless restoration. Wish I had a 'before' pic that showed the rim and chamber. The rim had to be meticulously picked clean, but was flawless beneath the nastiness.

View attachment 146403View attachment 146404
I’m not a collector, so my knowledge is limited to what I can find on pipephil and pipedia. I did a little more looking the other day and I’ll share what I learned about my pipe, as some of it seems pertinent to your ninety-fiver.

The round logo (black cloverleaf in white circle) was first used in 1937. Up until the late 40's this logo was used on all of the upper grades pipes. Up until the late 40's/early 50's, the logo was on top of the stem. After that the logo was moved to the side of the stem.

Of the catalogs available to view online, the 1947 catalog is the first to contain the shape of my pipe, a 73S extra long canadien. One article also noted that by the mid 1930's, all Kaywoodie's came with the screw mounted Drinkless attachment, while export Kaywoodies, available briefly from 1950-1955 had push bit stems like mine. So my new best guess is that this pipe is from the early 1950s.

Reactions: Briar Lee

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA

n_irwin

Can't Leave
Apr 15, 2022
Oklahoma, USA
Thanks. Same here regarding Kaywoodies - I've scoured those sites for Kaywoodie info. I wonder about that fat silver band - was there a defined period for its use?
Just this…

‘The Ninety-Fiver and Centennial pipes were apparently "anniversary pipes" offered to commemorate the firm's 95th and 100th anniversaries, respectively. The Ninety-Fiver and Centennial pipes both had wide metal bands and came in cases lined with velvet and satin. Both are highly-prized by collectors.’

Both Ninety-Fiver and Centennial lines were in the 1955 catalog.

The silver band on my Flame Grain is stamped with KB&B in a cloverleaf.911BF7B0-C26B-4BDA-8C13-8581FCA3CF89.jpeg

Latakia Dave

Lifer
Mar 4, 2021
Shenandoah Vally Virginia

View attachment 146403View attachment 146404Nathan Davis ( @Crashthegrey) can answer your questions. If he doesn’t respond on here, check him out on Facebookat Greywoodie Pipes.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
That clover-on-shank woodie is a rare find and yours is gorgeous. I had one a few years back, when I did not know what I was doing and sold it. Damn!!!!
There was a 4-Kaywoodie lot on ebay a month or two back, that had two them. One was basically a smooth large Dunhill 120 shape. I was the underbidder at $400 and wish I had gone higher.

I only have one, and believe I got it from you.

Last edited:

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
There was a 4-Kaywoodie lot on ebay a month or two back, that had two them. One was basically a smooth large Dunhill 120 shape. I was the underbidder at $400 and wish I had gone higher.

I only have one, and believe I got it from you.

I know this story! I have lived it so many times (Ebay blues). If you were the one who purchased my one and only clover on shank a few years ago, I can find some comfort in that ;)