PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA

Title changed. This thread was started in response to a request by the OP, so I did it to make sure copy and paste would work on a large file.

TheIronMonkey

Part of the Furniture Now​

Saturday at 11:28 PM
My father was a package designer. In the 1950s, he handled a lot of overflow work and did designs for a big advertising executive named Frank Gianninoto. He worked on the package for Marlboro cigarettes when Gianninoto was rebranding it from a women's brand into the manly brand we know today with the red chevron. My father worked on holiday packages for KOOL and Viceroy in the '60s (and designed annual reports for Philip Morris through the early '70s). He worked in an office, but, he also had a studio set up in the basement at home.

IMG_20220227_010741.jpg

He worked on the candy wrappers in the '60s for Three Musketeers and Milky Way (see the hand painted dummy for that below and the hand painted pasta box) and a whole bunch of other fairly iconic designs.

IMG_20220227_011342.jpg

IMG_20220227_010711.jpg

IMG_20220227_010701.jpg

IMG_20220227_010651.jpg

IMG_20220227_011316.jpg

In the '70s he worked on Swanson TV dinners. He swore we'd never eat such terrible food and was horrified when he found out years later that my mother fed us nothing but Swanson TV dinners for a year and a half when he was away spending time with one of my brothers in another state.

IMG_20220227_010752.jpg

Around 1967, he worked on Four Roses packaging (when I believe Seagram's might've owned it). Those of you into higher end bourbon will remember when Four Roses did the Al Young 50th Anniversary Small Batch release, they inverted the bottom heavy bottle design to look like this 1967 one my dad worked on:

IMG_20220227_012718.jpg

My dad chain smoked Pall Mall cigarettes, but, he also smoked a pipe. I remember him smoking Cherry Borkum Riff, but, when I picture the big round tin he had, it was black and white—so, I'm thinking he must've been smoking the Bourbon Whiskey version. I loved the smell of his pipe. In the early '70s he smoked a Barling Challenger. I can still picture the deep, dark, blue box with condensed, white, sans serif lettering it came in. My dad's pipes are in storage. I'm hoping to retrieve them sooner than later and smoke them. Or at least display them. I recently picked up a pouch of the Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey tobacco and will smoke it to rekindle the memories of my father smoking it.

In the mid-to-late-Eighties, when I was playing competitive darts in leagues and tournaments, there was a guy at my local team bar in Manhattan, the Kettle of Fish, named Bob Teague. Bob was always doing work around the bar and smoked a pipe. He made a dart cabinet for me, which I still have. I loved the smell of his pipe, too. Unfortunately, Bob died from throat cancer.

In the early '90s I got into cigars big time. I was subscribing to Cigar Aficionado, Marvin Shanken's Cigar Insider Newsletter, buying any cigar magazine I could find. I was buying cigars by the box and smoking at least one a day. I picked up a Dr. Grabow pipe to add a little variety to the mix and smoke a pipe instead of a cigar on occasion. When my father died from lung cancer in 2002, I cut back on smoking quite a bit.

In 2018 and 2019 I attended CIGARfest with Susan and had a great time and got back into cigars. I received some freebie Missouri Meerschaum pipes in the bundles each year. I work on a magazine with a friend and he got into cigars and that reinvigorated my interest as well. Sharing a hobby with a friend can be great fun. My interest in pipes got rekindled in 2020, especially when it got too cold to smoke outside. Susan can tolerate my pipes indoors, but, the cigars, not so much.

I guess because my dad was a package designer, it's why I enjoy collecting some pipes in their original packaging. My appreciation for the design as a whole comes from seeing my father work on so many cool things growing up. And the smell of his pipe probably has much to do with it, too. I miss him very much.

Attachments

• 1646409033413.gif
    1646409033413.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 24
  • 1646409033439.gif
    1646409033439.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 23
Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I don't (that I'm aware of). That would go back before 1954. A lot of my dad's earlier work was lost in a flood in the early '70s. The things I posted are from some of his portfolios I have. I've got one of his filing cabinets that inadvertently got locked in my move from August. I might have to drill the lock out. It's possible there are some goodies in there.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Damn. Some of that packaging is familiar as family. Lipton Tea and Milky Way are just examples. One thing about packages from that era is that they all opened in obvious and practical ways. I am appalled at so many modern jars, bottles, boxes, mailing envelopes, etc., that are either difficult to open, impossible for frail or old folks, or that self destruct upon opening in a needless angering way. They literally don't make packages like they used to, not nearly as thoughtfully and well. However, there are still some packaging geniuses at work; I am amazed at some of the clever folding of cardboard boxes and other containers and how brilliantly they are folded. Likewise, with package art, some is brilliant, a living recommendation for the brand, and other inscrutable unto absurd.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
A whole thread could be done on the lost art of the album cover, as in 12” LP?
I have a number of classical album slicks my dad did in the '50s or '60s, but, they might be in storage in Long Island. They were not for a major label, but, some of them are pretty cool. I'll check and see if I have them at the house during the weekend.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
So, are these type boxes called thread-split designs? Why are they called this?
No, I had originally posted this in a thread about "Why Did You Start Smoking a Pipe ..." and it got buried with not too many views. I figured since there are so many people into tobacco history, food and whisky here, they might enjoy seeing some of my father's work. I asked @jpmcwjr about creating a thread from my original post and he tried it, resulting in this "test."

No, I had originally posted this in a thread about "Why Did You Start Smoking a Pipe ..." and it got buried with not too many views. I figured since there are so many people into tobacco history, food and whisky here, they might enjoy seeing some of my father's work. I asked @jpmcwjr about creating a thread from my original post and he tried it, resulting in this "test."
Ok, now I understand.
You have a father with an amazing career. My father was the innovator of the gold nugget jewelry craze that lasted through the 70's and 80's. He started out doing these in Oklahoma and selling them to stores in Texas, and it just sort of took off from there. It can be tough trying to make your way in the shadows of such parents.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Great story! Thank you so much for sharing this. You must be very proud I'm sure. Man, I just love old shit like this!
I'm very proud of him. He came to America in 1937 and was stuck on Ellis Island for many months, almost like a prisoner. He went to Franklin Delano Roosevelt Vocational Art School and got drafted into the US Army in 1941. He did all right for an immigrant.

Ok, now I am more confused... so John, your father didn't design these?
These were designed by my father.