Another Italian Pipe Shipment Hit With Customs and Duties Charges.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Damn. :evil:
I just received a shipment of pipes from tobaccheriacorti.com. I got hit with $225 in customs and duties charges. My previous two shipments from Luca we’re free and clear and I paid only the sales price. As many of you know, I’ve been bitching about this issue recently. I thought it was isolated to FedEx, but this time it was DHL express.
The moral of the story is that we can expect US customs to start inspecting and charging for anything pipe and tobacco related in the future. Based on my own experience, and talking with others, I do not think there is any rhyme or reason to this. It appears to be a random act and there’s no way to predict it.
Here is the Customs bill. This sucks.

P3Jul3u.png

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
The other problem here is that these issues are solely the responsibility of the customer and NOT the vender. Thus, the seller can't estimate these costs in the original purchase price. And there is no way to predict if the charges will be levied.
Thus, buyer beware. And please do not bitch online about a vender if this happens to you. It is not their fault.

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
Welcome to my world lol most other countries pipers deal with this already. Just part of the hobby.

jfred

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Going the other way across the pond, my experience is that 90% of all packages get inspected and taxed. Only the odd package escapes, so I just add a mental 25% to any purchases from US sellers (100% if content is tobacco... sigh).

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Neal what was the declared value of the shipment? If under $800.00 US it should have been declared under Section 321 and as an informal entry with NO duty etc. That could have been arranged by the vendor or courier.
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I thought of that one, Michael. In this case the value was a bit high. But, I this has happened before with a lesser value shipment.
But your advise to work with the vender to get the declared value lower is a solid nugget and pearl.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Could it also be that by now they have your number? Even though it's a different courier, they must all link to the customs deptartment's computers...

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Neal, That is not exactly what I suggested. Trying to "circumvent" duty and taxes ( if caught ) can lead to a whole lot of problems for recipient and vendor.
I am just saying that any order under an $800.00 US value, entering the US from overseas should be declared as a section 321 with an informal entry. If over the $800.00 US level then all duties and taxes will be collected on the full amount. Not the difference between $800.00 and the value.
Now you have a little idea why prices are higher in the US than Italy. If a retailer in the US has an order arrive with goods over the $800.00 level, then all the duty and taxes get levied. If over $2000.00 US then it must enter with a formal entry which requires the services ( and costs ) of a customs broker.
Just to add to the above joys of being a pipe seller, now the FDA has their fingers in the pie, to make things move much quicker. Invoice declaration requirements have been changed. Now all items must show country of origin, type of wood, and end use.
It is not getting easier to be a pipe seller.
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Damn Michael!
The Used - Kinda Hectic (Interlude) Lyrics
Artist: The Used
Album: Vulnerable
Genre: Rock
It's Getting, It's Getting, Getting Kinda Hectic

It's Getting,Getting ,Getting Kinda Hectic

It's Getting, It's Getting,It's Getting Kinda Hectic

It's Getting, Getting, Getting Kinda Hectic

It's Getting,Getting, Getting Kinda Hectic

(Scream)

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
And on top of that ... There is now internet sales tax collection.
Oh well.
This is a good thread to remind us all of the hassles involved with hobby. I hear people complain a lot about prices, but this is a good exercise in the margin costs involved behind the scenes.

Reactions: davidy97

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
I know that feeling from ordering tobaccos from the US. They charge up to 150% of the US price of the tobaccos, if you order to Germany. It feels like being robbed. The worst thing is, that you do never know, whether it will hit you and it also seems, that they calculate differently everytime.
But the most important thing is, that you do not let them spoil the pleasure you get from your new (Castello?) pipe!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Wouldn't a bit of research with regard to customs, taxes, etc. preclude all of this surprise and righteous indignation? And then, rather than lament finally getting nailed, be happy you got away with the action for so long.
It's all part and parcel of enjoying our "hobby", right! Some of you sound as though you're not enjoying all aspects of the "hobby."

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
exactly correct Warren. Find out in advance what you may have to deal with, PLUS keep up with all the rules as they can change without notice.
I just recently learned about CETA. It is like NAFTA, but between Canada and the European Union. IF the vendor is set up with CETA as far as customs, then goods coming from Europe to Canada ( except tobacco and alcohol ) are duty free!! The key though is the seller / vendor must know about CETA and arrange everything with the carrier / broker etc. All the buyer pays is the HST, or GST, & PST depending on province.
So learn, read, and prepare for what you are thinking of buying. Know the ins and outs. If you don't ..... they will tag you with everything they can get their hands on.
Personally, I like to feel my hands in my pockets, not the governments.
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

Status
Not open for further replies.