Announcing Tobacco That Becomes In Stock?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

3 Fresh Askwith Pipes
36 Fresh Brigham Pipes
9 Fresh Winslow Pipes
12 Fresh Claudio Cavicchi Pipes
12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2016
Not intended to gloat.... but just pointing out that even in a world that is internet driven, relationships are important and valuable.
True, but much less common now, and vendors who “take care of” their regular customers sometimes get criticized for it if they also have a web presence. The whole idea of having to balance what is “fair” with running a retail sales operation is something I am happy that I don’t have to deal with.

All told, I agree with what @sablebrush52 said earlier, Ries’ system works out reasonably well, and I understand they had to put some $ into making the programming changes required to do it. Even for non HTF stuff that they don’t use the wait list email system for, I try to make it a point to give them as much business as I can. The tax issue isn’t a problem for me, the Levi’s are good people, and I have sentimental feelings (I have been to the shop a couple of times, and two deceased pipe collectors who meant a lot to me were regular patrons) about them to boot.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I've watched way too many times when these types of threads are started and then someone shows a picture of 50 tins they purchased. Is this hoarding, greed, boasting or a blend of all?
I don't chase blends anymore: too many times I've gone to the mentioned website only to find it's all sold out then only to see bragging pics of someone's hoard stuffed with the out of stock tobacco.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've watched way too many times when these types of threads are started and then someone shows a picture of 50 tins they purchased. Is this hoarding, greed, boasting or a blend of all?
Maybe it's just enthusiasm for a blend that's knocked someone's socks off. Some cellar wide with a lot of different blends in relatively moderate amounts and some cellar narrow and deep a handful of blends and poundage of each. And some have much higher levels of consumption than others. Their 50 tins might be your, or my, 150 tins.

And there's definite concern with beloved blends disappearing in the next couple of years.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Yes, it's the blends disappearing that concern me for sure. I was sure glad when Peterson took over Nightcap and I was able to acquire 2 tins. Not wanting to start the Canada/tobacco purchase debate again: that horse has been flogged to death numerous times. I do purchase all my tobacco from the US but when I do get a bill from Canada customs it sure hurts. I never purchase more than a few tins for that reason. So I am envious of those in the US who can stock up of their fav tobacco at relatively low cost by comparison.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I have seen very generous member's give information freely when others have asked for help finding something special as well as very fair prices on the sales forum for things that are hard to find.

I also appreciate it when people post their findings despite the fact it tips off the hoarders/cellaring folk. I try to keep a relationship with retailers but I can't compete with people who buy pounds of blends at a time! I don't call in my orders at SP for them to know who I am, but they sure have benefited from my purchase$$$'s for sure!

Thanks to guys and gals who help out other forum member's, again it's appreciated!

Reactions: lightmybriar

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Good sentiment. I just PM other members when I see stuff available that the member has mentioned they are looking for. That way, an end user gets a shot instead of the flippers. Hate to see hard to get stuff selling for 5-6 times what someone just paid for it. just my 2c

Reactions: SpookedPiper

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Yes, it's the blends disappearing that concern me for sure. I was sure glad when Peterson took over Nightcap and I was able to acquire 2 tins. Not wanting to start the Canada/tobacco purchase debate again: that horse has been flogged to death numerous times. I do purchase all my tobacco from the US but when I do get a bill from Canada customs it sure hurts. I never purchase more than a few tins for that reason. So I am envious of those in the US who can stock up of their fav tobacco at relatively low cost by comparison.
^^ This

Status
Not open for further replies.