Announcing Tobacco That Becomes In Stock?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2016
t has never been a rule, but announcing stuff like this, does speed up how fast it goes out of stock. So, your call..
Not really. I have found that posts here are usually too far behind the bots and scrapers to do any good on stuff that is really hard to find. There are other forums that post drops at warp speed,Facebook, and private message.

And what is truly hard to find? I have posted links multiple times in threads where people have said they can’t find them in stock anywhere for sites that have SG and GH over the last few months. People seem to think that if they have looked at Smoking Pipes, Tobacco Pipes and Pipes and Cigars, nobody has it. Duh.... Not true at all. Iwan Ries, Storyteller, Mars, CupoJoes, Boswell’s and 4 Noggins are among the sites I have bookmarked.

And there is a whole list of retailers at the top of this page that happen to sell tobacco. As just one example, The Briary doesn’t list all of the tobacco they have in stock on their web page, but Skip takes phone orders . 877-327-4279, open until 6 CST. There really aren’t any secrets these days.

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
I sign up for all of those, and I have NEVER EVER EVER received one.

I get them all the time. From SP & TP. On SP, you can actually see your rank on each blend and tin size. Don't expect your email for Stonehaven or Penzance any time soon. I'm in the 2000's range of them. SP only send enough emails to cover what they have. Here is the screenshot.

I keep saying I'm not buying anymore, but then I keep getting emails. I don't even know what I have anymore, but I have to be good for 20+ years. Some day I am going to sort and put a bunch of stuff on here. My tastes have changed a lot since I started cellaring.

Oct 7, 2016
So..... These are your honeyholes? :)rotf?‍☠️?‍☠️
I do manage to buy a lot of tobacco from them. Happy to take my chances with everybody else. Add Watch City to the list, though they and Storyteller gave out leads as to exactly when they were going to post Esoterica in the December drop and the guys running bots and scrapers absolutely crashed Stirytellers site.and came close to doing the same for Watch City. You simply can’t give out information that specific without having you site attacked. And Watch City has Salty Dogs in stock as I type this, and yes, you can buy it a lot cheaper at Estervals.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I get them all the time. From SP & TP. On SP, you can actually see your rank on each blend and tin size. Don't expect your email for Stonehaven or Penzance any time soon. I'm in the 2000's range of them. SP only send enough emails to cover what they have. Here is the screenshot.

I keep saying I'm not buying anymore, but then I keep getting emails. I don't even know what I have anymore, but I have to be good for 20+ years. Some day I am going to sort and put a bunch of stuff on here. My tastes have changed a lot since I started cellaring.

View attachment 15784
hey I didn't know you could track your place in the one time alerts!

although I've been alerted on a couple in the past. others I wondered why I wasn't.

Reactions: Bowie

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I sign up for all of those, and I have NEVER EVER EVER received one.
Iwan Ries broke that streak. Not only did they notify me, they held the tobacco for me to buy, and as it turned out I found other "not in stock" stuff that I had listed, available for me to purchase. The other online stores? Forget about it.
I'm also in the "tell your friends first" camp. Lots of hoarders lurk here watching for some loose lips to provide them with another opportunity.

Oct 7, 2016
Lots of hoarders lurk here watching for some loose lips to provide them with another opportunity.
If they are watching here, they aren’t getting much tobacco to hoard. Facebook and at least two other forums are much faster at getting the word out, particularly for Esoterica.

All this paranoia about tight holing information just encourages FOMO (fear of missing out).

Oct 7, 2016
Speaking of Watch City, Ernie said he just got some Aylesbury and a few of the Dan products (in addition to Salty Dogs, which he bought a ton of) delivered today. He says he has plenty of Samuel Gawith with more to come later in the week. Learned all this in just a few minutes checking around while waiting for dinner to settle.

Information wants to be free. A saying I remember from the early days of the Internet.

Oct 7, 2016
With all the talk about pipe smoking making for a calmer attitude, it doesn’t seem to match up with the frenzied chase for unobtanium.
Folks who are active on the Internet are a small % of US pipe smokers. And of those, I bet Pipes and Cigars got more responses to their announcement of under $10 Admirals Choice bags that I just got than they would from sending out in stock notices if they got a big drop of Samuel Gawith. Do you get their dead tree monthly catalogs? Those are expensive. But they generate a ton of phone orders, and some people actually tear out the form, fill it out and send it in with a check. Still.

Patience was once considered a characteristic of pipe smokers.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The Briary doesn’t list all of the tobacco they have in stock on their web page, but Skip takes phone orders . 877-327-4279, open until 6 CST.
Good advice. I've bought from the Briary and from other B&M's. You might not get the cheapest price, but it will be reasonably close and at least you'll have what you're looking for.

Yeh, I see it on the FB pages. I also see within a few comments that they had run out by the time most folks had seen the post. It happens. It will probably keep happening here. I think that most of us in this thread pretty much have what we want, so we aren't the ones afraid of missing out. I merely gave my $0.02, because the OP asked.

I tend to just PM someone when I see what someone is looking for. I've had the good fortune on this site to have had folks help me find pipes and tobaccos, and even a few times when someone has offered to go in with me on getting something from overseas in a larger order than I could do alone. IMO, directly contacting someone makes me feel like I got the info to someone who wants it that I know. Whereas making a post just doesn't do what we expect. But, by all means...

I have received emails four times in two and half years. Bought two times out of 4.
Great!! Really... I merely posted that I hadn't, but I've only ever signed up to be notified on two site sponsors. One of which probably couldn't make much work. I just don't go to a bunch of different sites, because between smokingpipes and The Briary and checking out B&Ms while travelling, I can usually find what I want. But, I will check them out on the next budget.

The Briary... cough cough... really doesn't have much of anything. That's the ticket, and their website sucks. puffy

Oct 7, 2016
Good advice. I've bought from the Briary and from other B&M's. You might not get the cheapest price, but it will be reasonably close and at least you'll have what you're looking for.
A lot of the angst I detect is, I think, price related, at least for non Esoterica. Tobacco Pipes got some flack on another forum about raising prices on SG this last drop. I think (hope?) that some vendors are starting to wake up to the fact that they don’t have to follow SP and P&C in pricing product that is going to sell out anyway. So what if it takes a week or two instead of a day?

robcapp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2017
Massachusetts
I got sick of looking for hard to get blends... so I formed relationships with some vendors I liked dealing with, gave them my business, and it wasn't long before they were contacting me by phone and email to let me know they had stuff in, and put aside for me.
Never ever had to chase a single blend since then. Unicorns were as easy to get as any other blend.

Not intended to gloat.... but just pointing out that even in a world that is internet driven, relationships are important and valuable.

Status
Not open for further replies.