PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

CallMeSangy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2022
Central Virginia
Lane's LL-7 deserves some mention, in my very biased opinion. Absolutely excellent taste that never leaves me wanting when smoking a bowl.

I will also mention Sutliff's Creme Brulee. Downright the only blend I will retrohale from start to finish about as easily as breathing, because the retro is so darn good. Also in my very biased opinion.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
So I've almost worked my way through a tin of Missouri Meerschaum - 150th Anniversary which is a blend of Black Cavendish, Burley, Virginia and some vanilla topping. Oh how times have changed! I used to be able to not really stand or tolerate aromatics but something has snapped in me since trying this blend and I'm enjoying it so much. Has anyone tried this blend and could recommend something similar? It's not really goopy at all or overpowering and the tobacco seems of good quality.
Look it up on Tobacco Reviews | Search Tobaccos and see what others suggested. That site also has an Advanced Search, where you can specify which components and flavorings you want, and it generates a list.

StPaulPiper

Might Stick Around
Dec 18, 2021
St Paul, MN
A simple rule..... the sweeter it smells, the worse it tastes. puffy
For the cheap crap, maybe. But not the good stuff, in my opinion. The Wilke maple is an example. Cult Blood Red Moon smells like smashed sweet Maraschino cherries, but smokes/tastes far different, with really nice cavendish, virginia and burley tobacco at the fore (and the room note might get you some tickles).

BriarBrook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2022
Missouri
Smoking a pipe of this right now and it is really good. Would disagree that it is like every other aro... Not goopy or heavy at all. Does a really nice job of giving you the flavors of the tobacco along with a touch of the vanilla. The majority of aros fail at this. This is definitely going into my circulation.

Reactions: anotherbob

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Love aromatics that aren't moist or goopy that can be smoked straight from the bulk bag; 1Q, 4noggins Covered Bridges are two that come to mind but my favourite no-fuss bulk is Peter Stokkebye Nougat.

Reactions: anotherbob

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Love aromatics that aren't moist or goopy that can be smoked straight from the bulk bag; 1Q, 4noggins Covered Bridges are two that come to mind but my favourite no-fuss bulk is Peter Stokkebye Nougat.
If you haven't tried it you might want to get an once of Lane TK6. Pretty good for an aromatic. puffy

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
If you haven't tried it you might want to get an once of Lane TK6. Pretty good for an aromatic. puffy
Yes that's just one of many blends I'd like to try since I quite like Lanes 1Q.
The thing is that I have to 'run the gauntlet' with Customs [My last 2lb order was just intercepted :cry: ]
It's for that reason alone that I mostly stick to the blends that I really like [not to mention the fact that 4noggins is about the last U.S. tobacconist who still ships to Australia and they have a rather limited range compared to my preferred tobacconist, TobaccoPipes]

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
I’m deep in Rum and Maple from Wilke. Old Toby from The Country Squire got me for a pound at least. BlackBerry Winter from Ted’s Pipe Shoppe in Tulsa is one of my favorites too.

• Love
Reactions: GetOffMyLawn

TheDesertPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2021
Arizona
I too on occasion enjoy a bowl of MM 150th anniversary. I also like Stanwell Vanilla which I found somewhat similar. Aromatics definitely aren't my go to, but they do provide a nice change of pace when I need it.

Reactions: Reggie

n_irwin

Can't Leave
Apr 15, 2022
Oklahoma, USA
I’m deep in Rum and Maple from Wilke. Old Toby from The Country Squire got me for a pound at least. BlackBerry Winter from Ted’s Pipe Shoppe in Tulsa is one of my favorites too.
Hey, I know Ted’s! I used to live in Muskogee and that’s where I got all my tobacco when I was getting started. Is it still open?

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
Hey, I know Ted’s! I used to live in Muskogee and that’s where I got all my tobacco when I was getting started. Is it still open?
I don’t live in Tulsa but traveled there occasionally for business. As far as I know, they are. Ted passed away some time ago and Marc Clymer took it over. They do not have a web presence so I call them to order 918-742-4996.

Reactions: n_irwin

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
The only aromatic I've found so far that I like from the start of the bowl to the end is Boswell's Christmas Cookie. To me it tastes exactly like it smells and it smells amazing.

I'll second Boswell's Christmas Cookie.
I smoke VA and Lat, and pull out aros only on special social occasions to delight those around me.
I've tried every aromatic that Boswell has blended (I think), and whatever else I might say for some of the others, Christmas Cookie is the one I keep around.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Yes that's just one of many blends I'd like to try since I quite like Lanes 1Q.
The thing is that I have to 'run the gauntlet' with Customs [My last 2lb order was just intercepted :cry: ]
It's for that reason alone that I mostly stick to the blends that I really like [not to mention the fact that 4noggins is about the last U.S. tobacconist who still ships to Australia and they have a rather limited range compared to my preferred tobacconist, TobaccoPipes]
Do they often just open random packages chopper? Sorry to hear your package was nabbed. When I hear stuff like that I get really pissed off. Lol

Reactions: chopper

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Do they often just open random packages chopper? Sorry to hear your package was nabbed. When I hear stuff like that I get really pissed off. Lol
Thanks mate. It's one of those things that I try not to let upset me because there's nothing much a bloke can do other than to try and get around the outrageous taxes [A 50g tin is now $140 would you believe?]
Losing a $200aud order [postage is $80aud since USPS stopped processing standard parcels to Oz] is just part of 'playing the game'.
I've got around 40lb in my stash so I'm much better off that most Aussie pipe smokers.

I've often wondered that myself Gervais.
Before the laws changed in June 2019, 1 in 4 or 5 bulk tobacco orders would be intercepted.
[Tinned tobacco was intercepted at least every 3rd order - the metal tins are most likely the reason why they're detected more frequently]
So it would appear that they're only able to closely inspect every 4th or 5th cargo load from the U.S.
Luck would also play into it. Tracking shows that some parcels are 'Ready for delivery' just 24-48 hours after landing in Oz while other orders can linger at the airport for a couple of weeks before they're passed onto the courier.

My last order that was pinched sat 'waiting at cus-toms for inspection' for over a month before it was inspected which suggests to me that they've still got a staffing shortage,
I've just made another order using a mates name and address - 1lb Peter Stokkebye Nougat and 1lb Sutliff Sunrise [Early Morning Pipe Match]
Fingers crossed . . . .

Reactions: gervais

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
View attachment 162806
Revelation was so popular in the day among men that Masterpiece came out to compete with it, using Burley, Virginia, Turkish, Latakia and Perique, and lots of flavorings that taste and smell good.

Heavy on the Buuuuurley, Dahhhling.:)

“The five great tobaccos of the world. … I adooore the aroma.”

If it’s good enough for Eva…

I’ve never heard of Masterpiece. Does anyone know of a knock-off imitation?

Now Epiphany I’ve smoked, though I don’t believe I’ve ventured to inhale it.