PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Talon

Might Stick Around
Nov 7, 2021
Ontario, Canada
So I've almost worked my way through a tin of Missouri Meerschaum - 150th Anniversary which is a blend of Black Cavendish, Burley, Virginia and some vanilla topping. Oh how times have changed! I used to be able to not really stand or tolerate aromatics but something has snapped in me since trying this blend and I'm enjoying it so much. Has anyone tried this blend and could recommend something similar? It's not really goopy at all or overpowering and the tobacco seems of good quality.

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
...a blend of Black Cavendish, Burley, Virginia and some vanilla topping.
That's about 92.5% of all of them. I'd suggest using Smoking Pipes's little gizmo, Tobacco Finder (or whatever it's called), plug in what you like, and consider their suggestions. I mean, I like Autumn Evening and SWRA, but so what?

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Without flavorings, the best natural tobaccos are bright Virginias.

Virginia forward blends might be 10% of the pipe tobacco market.

Burley tobacco soaks up yummy flavorings, like cherry, apple, strawberry, blackberry, raspberry, peach, vanilla, whiskey, rum, licorice, chocolate, etc. etc.

Smoking aromatics is kind of like eating cotton candy at the fair.

It’s all sugary sweet flavorings.

It’s why I love aromatics.

justscience

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2013
Upper Midwestern USA
People can be condescending when it comes to aromatics, as if they are a beginner tobacco and one is expected to evolve to semois or something. Thank you for not being reticent about your evolving tastes. I smoke both english and aromatics, usually the latter when she who must be considered is on the porch with me.

Lane (STG now) RLP-6 and LL-7 are readily available, go by many names, and are my favorites of the genre. HGA is similar, with a bit of latakia.

Last edited:

Talon

Might Stick Around
Nov 7, 2021
Ontario, Canada
That's about 92.5% of all of them. I'd suggest using Smoking Pipes's little gizmo, Tobacco Finder (or whatever it's called), plug in what you like, and consider their suggestions. I mean, I like Autumn Evening and SWRA, but so what?

Those two suggestions are a great start!

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Not really Aromatics at all but as far as really interesting flavor profiles wondering if you’ve tried or looked into any of C&D’s H.P. LoveCraft series. Dreams Of Kadath and the like they seem to be kitchen sink blends with complex surprising and distinctive flavors. Im trying them tin by tin I think there’s like 5 in all ,so far Dreams of Kadath is impressive and singular in that I’ve never tasted anything remotely like it …

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Arguably my favorite aromatic is The Country Squire's "Hunting Creek". Black Cav, Virginia, Burley, and a touch of latakia, all with a nice vanilla topping. It has more depth and complexity than your run of the mill vanilla blend, but also can't be mistaken for an English at all.

The Squire has a number of vanilla blends, and they are masters at their aromatics. I'd recommend checking them out

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020
Any of the revelation matches. Sutliff or 4 noggins painter hills. Burley, Virginia, perique and a seasoning of Latakia. Just a touch of a topping. Creamy and tobacco forward.

4noggins bald headed teacher also. For me it’s just painter hills without the perique, if that bothers you.

MacBaren plumcake also. All crossovers with mild toppings.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
So I've almost worked my way through a tin of Missouri Meerschaum - 150th Anniversary which is a blend of Black Cavendish, Burley, Virginia and some vanilla topping. Oh how times have changed! I used to be able to not really stand or tolerate aromatics but something has snapped in me since trying this blend and I'm enjoying it so much. Has anyone tried this blend and could recommend something similar? It's not really goopy at all or overpowering and the tobacco seems of good quality.
I love aromatics but they have to be the kind of aromatic that is a marriage of flavors not so topped that you can't be sure if your smoking tobacco or cardboard. It would be nice to know which ones fit the bill.
My favorites are Edward G Robinson which is a plum brandy plus cinnamon and maybe something else, C&D Founding Fathers (pomegranate) which I find to have a really cigarish type of burly and the flavoring works way better then I would have guessed it would. Mixture 79 is a favorite but that's a weirdo one. It's like Durian fruit you either love it or wouldn't smoke it during a nic fit while trying to land the plane or cut the right wires on the bomb (yeah bombs they don't work like that do they?)

Reactions: TheDesertPiper

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I have tried a lot of aromatic in my day and find Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic to be my favorite. It is close enough to a standard vanilla aro that it scratches that itch without being just another run of the mill vanilla flavored tobacco.

PoplarWight

Might Stick Around
Feb 13, 2022
Trapped in the root ball, Alabama
Any of the revelation matches. Sutliff or 4 noggins painter hills. Burley, Virginia, perique and a seasoning of Latakia. Just a touch of a topping. Creamy and tobacco forward.

4noggins bald headed teacher also. For me it’s just painter hills without the perique, if that bothers you.

MacBaren plumcake also. All crossovers with mild toppings.
Is revelation an aromatic? I guess there is some type of fruity topping there, but it's very tobacco forward.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Is revelation an aromatic? I guess there is some type of fruity topping there, but it's very tobacco forward.
1C3D0162-30C0-427C-A442-F27693C0713A.jpeg
Revelation was so popular in the day among men that Masterpiece came out to compete with it, using Burley, Virginia, Turkish, Latakia and Perique, and lots of flavorings that taste and smell good.

Heavy on the Buuuuurley, Dahhhling.:)