Am I the Only One Here with No Cell Phone?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
We got our first one like a lot of people, just to have for emergencies. Eventually I gave it to the kid for the same & git myself one. Susan kept insisting she didn't want one till finally she saw how much it could do & got one. We're both Android types, although child in an iPhone guy. I'm a dinosaur & proud of it, but I'm a high-tech dinosaur.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Well this certainly blew up today.

I don't think I will be on my phone all the time as the screen on a smartphone is so tiny. How am I supposed to look at pipes on a tiny screen?

I gazed I to my crystal ball and I think I see one of these in my future, just a plain jane flip phone.

alcatelgo-flip-3.jpg

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I envy you! Unfortunately for me a lot of my working life I was on 24x7 call so I had a pager before mobile (cell) phones existed and my employers issued me with one of the very first brick models (with a huge seperate battery pack on a shoulder strap) when they first came out - as a phone it was OK but trying to use it with an acoustic modem (this was an analogue phone!) to connect into to debug a mainframe application... ...jeez it still gives me nightmares! (It was usually quicker to get on my bike and cycle to the office than try and use that thing.)

In those days get paged in a pub or curry house and girls would think you are a doctor (lot of teaching hospitals nearby); get phoned on that brick and everyone assumed you were a yuppie.

So I guess I've been using mobile phones for best bit of 40 years; probably a bit late to give up now!

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
In 1992, when I was stationed in Hong Kong, cell phones were already very popular. Although they soon also became popular among Danes (and my colleagues..), I however didn’t buy and carry a portable phone until 2010. Wanted to test the camera of a Nokia N8....We still have our landline, though. The sound quality through copper lines is more consistent for serious conversations, I think. Now carrying an iPhone and wouldn’t like living without it.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Whatever you do, for the love of all that is good, do not get an iphone.

Apples customer service has been some of the most atrocious I have ever seen and they have some serious security issues. For everything everyone has claimed over the years about how great the products are, I have had more problems with crapple products in general than any other brand or OS.

In the past I've given apple a pass as you could usually go into a store and get some help (even though this meant driving across town and waiting, sometimes significantly) for the problem. With everything that's going on right now apple refuses to open their stores. If you have a significant problen with their product or an update, at best they will mail you a box for you to send in your product for service. Meanwhile you have to do without.

I've never had issues with windows or android (none with Linux) like I've had with apple products as a whole.

Their watch is kinda nice but really it's about as useless as tits on a boar.

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
Whatever you do, for the love of all that is good, do not get an iphone.

Apples customer service has been some of the most atrocious I have ever seen and they have some serious security issues. For everything everyone has claimed over the years about how great the products are, I have had more problems with crapple products in general than any other brand or OS.

In the past I've given apple a pass as you could usually go into a store and get some help (even though this meant driving across town and waiting, sometimes significantly) for the problem. With everything that's going on right now apple refuses to open their stores. If you have a significant problen with their product or an update, at best they will mail you a box for you to send in your product for service. Meanwhile you have to do without.

I've never had issues with windows or android (none with Linux) like I've had with apple products as a whole.

Their watch is kinda nice but really it's about as useless as tits on a boar.
I disagree. We use all OSes here and they are all fine but Apple’s iMac/iPad/iPhone eco system is just more polished.
See here: Apple satisfaction

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Agree 100%.

Yes, iPhones have been rock solid, and I've never had a problem with Apple. Service has been exemplary. Started with iPhone 3, and am now on an 11. I've had at least one of every iteration, fueled in part by a son who's lost or dropped a few, so I buy a new one, and give him my old one.

I love technology, which makes me the Luddite here, I guess!

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
puffy We all have our experiences and preferences. That’s finehahau
Here is another ranking:
iPhone satisfaction

img-52d4bd073c3b0-posts-6099.jpg

Yet Samsung is, and has been for years, the largest seller of smartphones in the world. Apple was number 3 last year (2019).

Apple makes fairly good quality products in terms of hardware. They use metal chassis and cases, whereas most other manufacturers use plastic, among other things. But they do charge more of a premium for it than necessary. It's your money, spend it how you want. (Although apple was number 3 in sales, they were number 1 in profit.)

They're a smart business and, at times, can be a good place to invest in stock (but not hold for long periods).

Reactions: captainsousie
Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
After I retired from our local Sheriff's Department in 2009, I turned in my cell phone to the department. I didn't receive one (a flip phone) until my daughter insisted a year ago that she let her get one for me so I could have a phone on me when I'd go downtown shopping or taking care of other business. She wanted me to have a phone so her mom could call me in the event of an emergency. My wife has heart problems. I hardly ever use it and I have a bad habit of leaving the phone at home when I go out.
thank you for your service

Aug 1, 2012
As a consummate tech geek, I love my android phone. I tried to love apple but they didn't want me to do anything that wasn't originally loaded on the phone. The laptops, while well made, also left me wanting as they have gotten either crippled by system limitations, or prohibitively expensive.

Shun tech to your heart's content. I'll use it and enjoy it. As they say, more for me.

Reactions: skydog
Aug 1, 2012
All I know is having a daughter who is deaf the texting is a Blessing. As a child the only way I could communicate with her was through my X. When they came out with the TTY, the first time I "talked to her" I cried...
With a father who is legally deaf, texting was a blessing until Parkinson's took that too but it was great while it worked. Thank goodness for text and even emojis when it comes to those who do not communicate through hearing.

Reactions: weezell

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
If I don't want it, I leave it sitting, turn it off, turn off notifications or simply ignore it. We don't have a land line in the house and haven't had for years.
I don't bring my cell phone into restaurants. I don't want to be bothered with it.

My wife and I were meeting friends for lunch one day. I left my phone in the car and our friends got lost and tried calling me to tell me they were going to be late. My wife's phone was in her purse and she didn't hear it ring. They couldn't get a hold of either one of else. They walked in all pissed off because they couldn't reach us. I just shrugged it off...still had an enjoyable lunch.

Reactions: danish
Status
Not open for further replies.