Am I the Only One Here with No Cell Phone?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
A cell phone is a necessary tool for many things I do, professionally and personally. If I don't want it, I leave it sitting, turn it off, turn off notifications or simply ignore it. We don't have a land line in the house and haven't had for years.

My thoughts as well. Smartphones are basically a necessary evil in the business world. Sometimes on the weekends, me and my wife set our phones in the bed room and leave them there so as to avoid whole "sitting together but staring into the phone" syndrome that is so prevalent. I'll also add that I appreciate having a phone on me for my outdoor adventures in case anything goes wrong and I might need to call for help. Same with checking weather updates if there is any surprise to that end.

EDIT: Once on a canoe trip, my wife was supposed to be the "shuttle" driver. Her car was parked at the takeout. However, as we neared the end of the trip, she realized that she left her keys in my truck at the put in. I was very happy to have my phone in my drybag that day so I could call a friend to bail us out of that situation!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I shouldn't belabor my estrangement from technology, since I use it every day. Adapting to it just incites anger and humiliation -- yet I realize how silly that is. As for phones, I have carried a geezerly flip phone for decades now. My wife gets good use out of an iPhone I bought her as a gift, and I'm readying to update her iPad. She doesn't love them all the time, but she makes good use of GPS, a bit of Zoom, and an assortment of other features. I had a truly bad introduction to the digital world in my work place, with a no-name non-conforming desk top, and things went downhill from there. All of the talented IT folks were making big money, so the folks who ended up doing the training were all incapable of translating their tech language into plain English, and were proud of their elevated position, so weren't much help. Growing up I savored tech, in photography, shortwave radio, and such. But digital hit me midlife and had a whole different mindset and culture and I've never acclimated well. That's life. (Tried that in French but spellcheck won't let me ... see?) The one boast I would make is that I never sit staring at the screen with my mouth hanging open, for which I am grateful.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My problems aside, I see from my wife's iPhone that regular use invites all kinds of less wanted jamming -- spam, robe-calls, scams. These occur on landline phones, but they follow you around town on smart phones. Twitter, instagram, and all the other modes and media are time consuming and rarely worth it. People are abused by their technology, herded, and reduced. I've lost friends who have disappeared on Facebook, like they've been taken by aliens. They have.

TheFall

Might Stick Around
Mar 20, 2020
Alberta, Canada
I wish I didn't require to have a smart cell phone for work. I liked my flip phone that just had Phone and text capability much better. I find that the smart phones don't focus on actually using them as a phone, so the phone functionality is always subpar. The service here also sucks and is spotty, even close to major centers. It is nice to have for work though as it is much more convenient than pulling out the laptop but from the personal life aspect, I do not like it as much. People seem to forget that there was a time when no one could get a hold of you for hours on end. I hate coming out of a dead cellular zone and having texts asking if I am alright because I didn't respond for 3 hours. I also think the smart phones are detrimental for mental health, ext.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I agree with this and I use my phone almost exclusively for information consumption.
While I do not like to be available 24/7, I like obtaining new information about my interests on the internet.

I hardly ever use the computer or other electronic devices though.
Same here. I have a MacBook Pro and I only use it for work. My phone is for gaining information and messing around.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

elasmo

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2019
never had a phone...I'm 39. Just don't see the point in making what would probably amount to 5 calls per year. I'm a tech savvy guy, I just don't have anyone I wanna call.

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Congratulations to my fellow tech resistants. I'm not exactly proud of myself, but so much of technology is intrusive and abusive, bullying really. Some pushback as negation is appropriate.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
An essential item when you run a business. The ability to talk, email, and access databases when away is invaluable as an employee who is essentially "on call" 24/7. My wife and I do have phone free times we intentionally set aside though, where it is only used if it rings.

That and most of our recreation in Alaska is out of cell phone coverage anyway, so that helps.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I'm wired 24-7. No way around it.

I also never look at any social media or get in the fray. Ignorance is bliss.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I’m sure there’s a few Wendell Berrys out there.

Great writer! Really helps to get across the reasons why some of us like and choose to be country bumpkins.

So you’re back now? You were on my forums corona bingo card there when you went awol. I don’t think I’m going to win.

I've been on and off this forum since I joined about five years ago... probably not a good guy to have on your bingo card!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I use a landline for phone calls. I do have an old blackberry with prepaid service on it that I very rarely use.

But I'm sure once the Chinese model of social controls has been fully implemented in the West, we'll all be required to use "smart phones" ... at least until the brain implant technology is ready for the masses.

Status
Not open for further replies.