Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JPremo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Viva Las Vegas
Sam Gawith and Gawith & Hoggarth are in stock at a number of online retailers about every month or two............Then I found Seattle Pipe Club's Plum Pudding Bourbon Barrel

I'll second the Gawith tobaccos, although their lakeland essence ones are not for me, the twists are something special and quite unique. Seattle Pipe Club is another amazing blending group and I have yet to buy a tobacco from them that I didn't enjoy!

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
The party was yesterday, so if you missed out on this year's Cringle Flake then you missed out. There is always next year. ;)

Reactions: weezell

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Just be sure to keep an eye on the forum, and these sites, and in time you’ll find some the greats/classics you’re looking for, people sell them all the time.

4Noggins

Pipestud’s

Larryssson Pipes

Pipe Dreams Collectible Tins

Vintage Pipe Tobacco

Reactions: WildTurkeySurprise

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
I know what you mean. I enjoyed a pipe smoking than gave it up for some years only to pick it back up at the start of quaratine. I remember enjoying Frog Morton so I thought I’d pick up a few tins....gone forever. The funny thing is I know if it was still in production I’d have a stack of unopened tins and a jar full of it I’d probably rarely reach for. I’d be pining away over some other legendary white whale I couldn’t get my hands on.

We probably have access to more bespoke artisanal small batch blends than available than ever before. Worst issue I see now is the manufactured scarcity of blends. “We turned the screws on the press clockwise instead of counter clockwise and put the layers of tobacco in upside down; limited edition of 4000 tins”.

Half the guys on this site: “I just ordered 25 tins of the new limited edition Reverse Twist Cake”.
Me: Sold out...now feel like an asshole for not buying it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Harking back to the original post, depending on the party, and what you like, most parties improve over the evening and if you get there late, that's usually good. I'm not much of a partier, but that's been my experience.

Jan 27, 2020
Seems like every other pipe smoker is suffering some sad existential crisis tied to the hobby. I picked up the pipe around the same time and scarcely think of unavailable blends. Life is full of unattainable commodities that I am not going to sit around lamenting.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I have noticed I tend to favor Latakia blends, for one. I really like plum pudding. I like nightcap, but I realized smoking it in the evening it gives me crazy dreams (I confess sometimes now I’ll smoke it before bed for that very reason lol). Changing styles, I didn’t like Elizabethan mixture at first, but I have since grown fond of it. Mixture 965 I feel is ok, but unremarkable. My Morning Pipe to too light for me. I have some different tins on the way. I plan to make my rounds with companies and their blends, for sure. For a time it just seemed like anytime I heard or read about something interesting, BAM! out of stock, or discontinued. Thank you for your insight.
I thought I was going crazy, but apparently I'm not alone. Pirate Kake gives me crazy dreams.

EvergreenPiper

Might Stick Around
Oct 3, 2019
I would say we are living in the golden age of pipe smoking. 20 years ago, none of those major online pipe shops exist. SP just passed 20 years so does pipeandcigar.com. People back then will be crazy when they know we can purchase hundreds of blends by several clicks on the internet. Plus, you have all kinds of new pipe tobacco coming out every year. I just fall in love with Cringle Flake 2020 and it is an amazing blend! What is more wonderful, people will review them and share their experiences online! It's like having the best tobacconist on your fingertip. This is the best time for any new pipe smoker. Especially there are so many awesome people who make this hobby so much easy to adopt.

Reactions: mordy18 and jpmcwjr

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
I would say we are living in the golden age of pipe smoking. 20 years ago, none of those major online pipe shops exist. SP just passed 20 years so does pipeandcigar.com. People back then will be crazy when they know we can purchase hundreds of blends by several clicks on the internet. Plus, you have all kinds of new pipe tobacco coming out every year. I just fall in love with Cringle Flake 2020 and it is an amazing blend! What is more wonderful, people will review them and share their experiences online! It's like having the best tobacconist on your fingertip. This is the best time for any new pipe smoker. Especially there are so many awesome people who make this hobby so much easy to adopt.
Were it not for looming regulations and ever more draconian nanny state restrictions I would agree. The spectre of not being able to buy tobacco online anymore, combined with brick and mortar shops disappearing rapidly, and the possibility of small blenders and new blends disappearing due to the deeming regulations — all of that makes hoarding much more prevalent and adds a level of uncertainty that wasnt present 20 years ago. There may not have been the variety we have today, but I doubt people were worried that pipe tobacco could become largely unavailable.

EvergreenPiper

Might Stick Around
Oct 3, 2019
Were it not for looming regulations and ever more draconian nanny state restrictions I would agree. The spectre of not being able to buy tobacco online anymore, combined with brick and mortar shops disappearing rapidly, and the possibility of small blenders and new blends disappearing due to the deeming regulations — all of that makes hoarding much more prevalent and adds a level of uncertainty that wasnt present 20 years ago. There may not have been the variety we have today, but I doubt people were worried that pipe tobacco could become largely unavailable.
This is happening in every industry NOT just the tobacco industry. brick and mortar such as Blockbuster cannot compete with Netflix. Small shops like RadioShack go bankrupt when Bestbuy and Amazon come to the market. It is the nature of our era. Brick and Mortar cannot compete with online sellers. mom-and-pop shop disappeared just like those small blenders. It can be good and it can be bad. A blend I like, Kramer's Father Dempsey. I have no access to this blend before the retail store was closed. I am not living in Beverley Hill! However, SP.com salvaged this legacy blend and reintroduce it to the world! So I have the fortune to try it! Plus, no regulation in the world has banned an existing legal hobby of their people. I will call that dictatorship.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I was never one for frivilosities as Cringle Flake, but I know a lot of you loved it so I'm sure I missed out. No, I kept my head down and continued with the business at hand: Escudo, Dark Flake and rope.

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana

I agree with both ;)

Cellar deep and wide my friends. Deep and wide.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Plus, no regulation in the world has banned an existing legal hobby of their people. I will call that dictatorship.
History says that happens pretty frequently. And the reasons it happens are almost always really stupid when it comes down to it. The things that have been illegal are often existing hobbies of their people. Because their people are scary to them.