PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Fiddlepiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
Gonna start using the Danish word for pipe-........... PIBE.................. I like it mucho grande better, .......... Pipa............ ya, Man............ @ ashdigger sold me the snuff, and it's been a fun experiment.......
good snuff for shore.......... :)
Scots Gaelic word for it is Piob which is said the same way.

I like the shape but definitely not the price tag.

Fiddlepiper

Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
I

Really need to learn a form of Gaelic or Middle English. I love how they sound.
The app Duolingo does Scots Gaelic. Also lots of online courses at the Gaelic College on the Isle of Skye - Sabhal Mòr Ostaig.
I've liked a couple of the ones I've had, but the majority of them really rubbed me the wrong way, especially that one. Who ever heard of a straight pipe that couldn't pass a pipe cleaner?
Not entirely ideal no. A fairly catastrophic flaw really.

Fiddlepiper

Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
1200 quid for a pipe!! Then set fire to it!! Your right the world's gone mad
I suppose the hope is to set the tobacco on fire and keep the pipe intact..... ?

The more I’ve thought about this I can understand the factors involved - desirability, collectibility and rarity - that all add up to high prices with anything. I wouldn’t spend that but if someone else wants to/can then good for them.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I think a little tolerance is a good thing. One man’s madness is another man’s passion, and of course vice versa. I’m pretty sure everyone has things they spend time and/or money on that someone else would consider inexplicable (if not outright stupid).

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I've liked a couple of the ones I've had, but the majority of them really rubbed me the wrong way, especially that one. Who ever heard of a straight pipe that couldn't pass a pipe cleaner?
Dunhill pipes are made to come with an aluminum inner tube, from stem to bowl, so the fact that the ones you encountered couldn’t pass a cleaner assures that somebody messed with the drilling before you got them. Hopefully that fact can soften your bad experience and take some heat off of the brand haha!

Reactions: ofafeather

finnian3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2015
Illinois
Is it a shell or a shilling? The shape is a Dunhill Swan. The shape alone is rare and if it is a shilling, then it is a rather rare Dunhill. More power to the buyer. Collectors are a rare breed.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
That was really interesting, thanks! Didn't Sasini make a swan neck pipe too? It had a really pronounced flat swan 'head' if I remember right.
Yes, Sasieni did of sorts, Their model is the Count Lascelles.

Genod also made a swans neck. It was the Genod model that Dunhill stole inspired Dunhill.

I got to listen to several Dunhill collectors dissect this particular pipe. The consensus is that it's a very good example from that period, the blast isn't as interesting as LC's from between the Wars, but good for this period and that the overall shaping of the pipe is excellent. It's a difficult shape to get right, even for Dunhill.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
It looks like that even within original Dunhills there will be slight variances. Here a comparison picture from the John Loring page at Pipedia:

PrewarLCs.jpg

The differences are subtle but still there. I like that there are differences. If a person is inclined they can track down an original that they find slightly more appealing than the others and, if they are lucky, add it to their collection.

Not that I'll be bidding on the one in the OP but I do really like the lines on it. I also really like the lines on the 1927 #LC in the pic. The "flow" of it works for me.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Dunhill pipes are made to come with an aluminum inner tube, from stem to bowl, so the fact that the ones you encountered couldn’t pass a cleaner assures that somebody messed with the drilling before you got them. Hopefully that fact can soften your bad experience and take some heat off of the brand haha!
The first one that couldn't was a newly purchased Ruby Bark 4103, no tampering there.