PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
My view on this issue is to get to know others on this forum whose tastes and opinions jive somewhat with your own. Ask them for their opinions and try some of the blends that they like. A long process perhaps, but "subjectivity" will be less of a problem than going to lists like the one the OP posted.
As far as the semantics issue, I endorse @jiminks approach. He uses standardized terms of his own, and employs them in the order of their significance to whichever blend he is reviewing. Apologies to him if I have misstated anything here.
To me, this is the way to find alternatives, in the inevitable reality that many blends will go the way of the dodo.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It's true of untalented "creatives". Art for art's sake is fine when you're a trust fund baby, burning through the result of your parents' hard work and sacrifice.
And in all instances, Sturgeon's Law applies.
personally I am a fan of art for arts sake. I think it's good for people to have an outlet. Honestly if I don't create I get even more crazy. Though I will on a side note say that although mathematically impossible somehow it doubly applies to poetry.

Reactions: BROBS

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I've always thought that developing the ability to "render" accurately before attempting abstract work was a requirement. How does the viewer know that your hand did what your mind told it?
Same thing applies to writing. You need a vocabulary that contains adverbs and adjectives that refine your thought. It also wouldn't hurt to have access to the OED!

Reactions: BROBS

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Weird that the Charatan (I think Orlik in the US) Dunhill replacements aren't on the list. Some are actually pretty decent.
I thought that was wierd also, but most reviews of Charatan's I have seen suggest they never really got that close to the Dunhill blends.
The OP's linked article and chart are from tobaccopipes.com's blog. Tobaccopipes.com does not sell Charatan tobacco, which is not imported in the US. So, it's not so weird that there's no mention of Charatan.