PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
Weird that the Charatan (I think Orlik in the US) Dunhill replacements aren't on the list. Some are actually pretty decent.

Never had the original, but I'm getting through their Virginia Three Year Matured at a rate of knots. Really liking the touch of Oriental in it.

I thought that was wierd also, but most reviews of Charatan's I have seen suggest they never really got that close to the Dunhill blends. They also say that they are quite good on their own, so I think Chartan's might have shot themselves in the foot trying to say they are replacements.

I've only tried Curzon mixture myself, which I never really took too. I love Red Raparee though - it's a shame that Kolhase & Klopp seem to bath everything in Propylene Glycol (I suspect anyway, all the stuff they make seems to have 'something' about them).

Reactions: lightmybriar

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thanks for posting this! And thanks for posting the link to the original chart because I couldn't read the one above without doubling up my reading glasses.

The Sutliff 515 RC-1 for McClelland 5100 is spot on, the closest I've found by far.

Wish they had something listed for McClelland Deep Hollow, haven't found anything close to that.
It was designed as a substitute for 5100 when used as a component in a blend not as a standalone, and it does that pretty well. I happen to like 515 RC-1 quite a bit as a standalone.

But, again, this is a list of alternatives, not replacements or matches, more like "something in the vein of".

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
I recently got to try some aged Dark Star and really enjoyed it.

TP suggests Rattray’s Black Virginia and Astley’s No 44 Dark Virginia as alternatives. Worth adding to the next order wish list?

Reactions: BROBS

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
I thought that was wierd also, but most reviews of Charatan's I have seen suggest they never really got that close to the Dunhill blends. They also say that they are quite good on their own, so I think Chartan's might have shot themselves in the foot trying to say they are replacements.
Fair points one & all!

But, at the same time, I struggle to believe that they aren't a touch closer than Bold Kentucky is to Royal Yacht!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Whether you think of a blend as a match, an attempted match, or an alternative, I think the real idea is to find something you like, the comparison not withstanding. Several match blends I've tried don't match that well but are quite tasty in their own right. Trying to line blends up in a chart like this is a thankless task and/or a fool's errand.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
The FMC suggestions all contain noticeable burley, which is quite foreign to FMC.

Boswell's Northwoods is the most commonly suggested alternative.
Another is Just for Him's Whiskey Biscuit Gravy. (Recently tried -- Outstanding.)
I have also noticed a connection in Fusilier's Ration.

As many of you have pointed out, these alternatives are not matches.

They're more like attempts to say,
"Here, if you liked that, then you may have the kind of palate which would also like this."

To use a food analogy:
People who like toffee tend to the be the kind of people who like caramel. (Or apples and pears. Or parmesan and asiago. Etc.) Nobody is suggesting that they're the same thing. But a palate which likes one is often a palate which likes the other.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
what are you one of those people that believe word choice matters and carries important meaning and nuance?
You bet! And when my staff is taking color review notes I can be a real sticlker for using the correct terminology. The vast number of people I've met and worked with over the decades are poor to middling communicators.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
You bet! And when my staff is taking color review notes I can be a real sticlker for using the correct terminology. The vast number of people I've met and worked with over the decades are poor to middling communicators.
in professional settings specificity is key. There should be no reason to leave any doubt or room for interpretation. Well at least during the stages you're working on projects.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I don’t take these to be matches, just if you like A you might like B. I’ve missed Dunhill London Mixture. Do you guys think GLP Westminster should be a try it blend? I like Abington, so don’t want one too similar to that.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
It was designed as a substitute for 5100 when used as a component in a blend not as a standalone, and it does that pretty well. I happen to like 515 RC-1 quite a bit as a standalone.

But, again, this is a list of alternatives, not replacements or matches, more like "something in the vein of".
Even so how can you explain them saying LNF under Bells Three Nuns? Haha

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
in professional settings specificity is key. There should be no reason to leave any doubt or room for interpretation. Well at least during the stages you're working on projects.
Exactly. Specificity cuts down mistakes, which impact scheduling and budget. So when I use VERY careful and EXACT language in delivering guidance and ask that that specific language be included in the notes, and find that it has not, I will raise hell over it. There are people I like very much as people who I will not approve for hire because they can't figure this out. They can fuck up some other production.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Exactly. Specificity cuts down mistakes, which impact scheduling and budget. So when I use VERY careful and EXACT language in delivering guidance and ask that that specific language be included in the notes, and find that it has not, I will raise hell over it. There are people I like very much as people who I will not approve for hire because they can't figure this out. They can fuck up some other production.
There are times for fuffing about (not even sure that's a real phrase and certainly isn't a real word) but not when it costs a lot. Time, money, peoples health and well being, and a good few others.
I've noticed that because in the idea phase the germination stage being loose and often vague has it's advantages, a lot of people think that creatives shouldn't or can't be specific (clearly they've never watched one mixing paints). You know the phase before much has been invested or committed.

Reactions: Toast and BROBS