PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Thanks for posting this! And thanks for posting the link to the original chart because I couldn't read the one above without doubling up my reading glasses.

The Sutliff 515 RC-1 for McClelland 5100 is spot on, the closest I've found by far.

Wish they had something listed for McClelland Deep Hollow, haven't found anything close to that.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I'm no expert in tobacco connaisseurism, but IMHO what is gone can not be replaced and I honestly think other companies should never try it. The Peterson listed as replacement of Dunhill are not replacements but completely the same.

I've smoked McConnell Highgate from a sample and I enjoyed that, but can not be matched to what it should have been as I never smoked it. Still that would not be a criteria why I would buy it.

Duck

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2021
Edinburgh
For me, the best replacement for Balkan Sobranie is SG Skiff Mixture. It scratches all the same itches for me. Others might find otherwise, it's not Balkan Sobranie and what they enjoyed in the original may not be there in Skiff. That said, I can't imagine some of these alternatives scratching anyone's itches for the originals.

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
Weird that the Charatan (I think Orlik in the US) Dunhill replacements aren't on the list. Some are actually pretty decent.

Never had the original, but I'm getting through their Virginia Three Year Matured at a rate of knots. Really liking the touch of Oriental in it.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Weird that the Charatan (I think Orlik in the US) Dunhill replacements aren't on the list. Some are actually pretty decent.

Never had the original, but I'm getting through their Virginia Three Year Matured at a rate of knots. Really liking the touch of Oriental in it.
I believe they are the same as the McConnell blends sold here

Reactions: Toast

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Simply Red from WCC and 2019 Cringle Flake. Many here have commented that 515 RC-1 is an overdone goopy vinegar aromatic. I like it myself.
2019 cringle flake just tastes like pressed 515 IMo

the only way to copy 5100 would be to take simply red and age it next to a banana peel

because it has an aura of old trash

Reactions: alexnc and JOHN72

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Simply Red from WCC and 2019 Cringle Flake. Many here have commented that 515 RC-1 is an overdone goopy vinegar aromatic. I like it myself.

The batch of 515 RC-1 I got wasn't goopy or vinegary, but I bought a bunch awhile ago, so maybe it's changed or batches vary.

And it may be the same as the WCC blend, or the same base. On their blending page they mention, "there are many different finished Virginia tobaccos offered to the blender," but only list 2 for red VA, the Sutliff and C&D Red VA:
Tobacco Blending Part 2- Virginia Tobacco. - Watch City Cigar & Pipe

They are very upfront in that they are limited in their sources of tobaccos, probably just due to limited numbers of suppliers and they probably don't want to go the tobacco auction source route for their volume.

There was another small blender that had some blends made by Mac Baren, maybe they were in TX. I never ordered from them though.

I do have a sampler from WCC I got awhile ago I'll have to dig out again. Thanks for the info!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Do you know something closer? I'd love to try it! Feel free to DM me if you'd rather keep it secret!
Kind of like saying a Toyota Prius is close to a high end Tesla. It may be the closest but it's still light years away. The closest thing to 5100 I've tested is F&T Blackjack and it's still a huge gap. Rattray's OG gives me some hint of similar red virginia flavor but again, a Ling way away. Mcclelland was simply very unique, no bring around that.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I don't understand all the replacement stuff. Many of the replacement blends are very good all on their own. But they're not that similar. What's gone is gone, let it go and enjoy what's really available on its own merit. In many cases, so called replacements are arguably better than the extinct stuff. Stock up and cellar what's really good and available now. Ten to twenty years from now, you'll be smoking the extinct originals while others are debating the merits of their so called replacements.

Fiddlepiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com

I’ve had a few of Charatan ones and enjoyed them. Having never tried the original it was matched to a comparison is impossible (and probably futile anyway!).

Reactions: Toast