PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jerry144

Might Stick Around
May 2, 2021
Lots of good advice above. One thing I didn't see mentioned that may help is lighting technique. Over lighting is common, and problematic when trying to get the most from your smoke. The flame should just graze the top of the tobacco, and not be drawn way into the leaf. Basically trying to create a small area on top that burns, and heats the remaining tobacco underneath. The flavor comes more from the heated tobacco that is releasing the oils as the smoke passes through it, rather than from the burnt tobacco that creates the smoke. In very simple terms, more smoke does not equal more flavor. Slow down, be patient, and good luck
Super helpful to another rookie. Thanks!

it's called active denial. At least he's not driving a fancy sports car and chatting up young ladies who are only being polite.
I must have missed some memo. I have no idea what you are talking about either.

I thought that maybe he meant to insinuate that I had only been smoking for 9 years, so I couldn't be a codger. I'm not even sure if I have been smoking pipes 9 years, maybe. I didn't exactly mark it on a calendar, but nevertheless... even a non-smoker can be a codger.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I was a big time cigar smoker when I began on the pipe. The blend that showed me how great a pipe could be was Escudo. That was back in 1997 or 8 and the flavors blew me away as they were so much different than any cigar I was smoking. I have heard it has changed, but I would still try it. You will need to learn how to smoke coins and flakes which is a whole different world but it is totally worth it as the flavors are so different.

Don't quit. If you like aromatics, you need to try Cult Blood Red Moon and Sutliff Molto Dolce. They taste like they smell and have a ton of flavor. You will need to dry them some but yesterday I cracked a tin of the Blood Red Moon and smoked it right out of the tin. It was fine. My mom was coming over an she likes the smell of either one of them. I smoked the Blood Red Moon with no drying time and had no issues.

No one gets it when they first start out, you will need patience grasshopper.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
"Growling"? Excessive "smacking of lips"?

Sounds like audition tips for a remake of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest.

• Haha
Reactions: Servant King

BlackSwampPiper

Might Stick Around
May 9, 2021
Ohio
I like that two pipes idea. Especially trying the same blend but in two different bowl sizes. I’m going to have to try that now.
Two pipes would be an amazing way to slow down a fast smoking novice! Alternating pipes would be like smoking half as fast... slower, cooler, more nicotine... What could go wrong? (what do you tamp with if you’re holding two pipes?)

Jeff 11B

Lurker
May 1, 2021
All tobacco tastes pretty much the same to me too. I can recognize the difference between Burly and Virginia, but little else. In fact, I have smoked vanilla and cherry aromatics on the same day and didn't notice a large difference. I do choose aromatics sometimes when around people because they seem to like the smell but it neither adds or takes away from the enjoyment I get from my pipe. Kinda like doing certain things during sex for her enjoyment but they're not that important for your satisfaction. In all fairness, it may have to do with my life experiences though. Being raised in the country, as most farm kids can attest to, taste buds were only used to warn your stomach that something was on it's way down. While getting dressed for a day of cropping tobacco in 98 degree heat and 95 percent humidity, at five in the morning mother would be putting breakfast on the table. In her defence, she always had two options available for every meal. You could eat it or not. I left the farm at 19 and went straight into my first of three tours of duty. I learned early on that the Infantry shared my mother's philosophy about food, as they always offered the same two options. Even to this day, when my wife asks if there's anything I would want for supper (that's dinner to my nonsouthern brothers) I just say "nope, whatever you want is good with me". Kinda like that sex thing we discussed earlier. We do get down to Calabash NC from time to time for the seafood, and she'll rave about how good it was all the way home. Me? I'd just as soon have catfish as flounder. It all tastes like fish to me.
My pipe is a good friend that I enjoy for many reasons, but I'm afraid different taste experiences will never be one of them. That being said, I think I'll keep it for all the others and I hope you will too.

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
I'm about a year into my pipe smoking adventure. It took until probably a month ago to learn how to slow down smoking. And it's still something I'm struggling with. Better, but not quite good yet. But I figured out the slower I smoked, and the drier the tobacco is when I light it, the more flavor I'm getting.