All Pipe Smokers are Weird...Except You and Me.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
3 Fresh Abe Herbaugh Pipes
12 Fresh Rossi Pipes
3 Fresh Becker Pipes
48 Fresh Vauen Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Must have been the age factor skewing your encounter, I knew her in ‘76 but can’t remember a thing. :)
If memory serves she would have been born in... 1986? Something like that.
Anyway, I don't think I've EVER described what she did (out loud) that night. Never did it again either.
I wonder what she's doing these days..

HopHand

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2021
Montrose Colorado
Look. The art of finger tamping takes time and commitment. You have to build up a proper heat callus, not too thick, not to thin. Don't knock us, we work hard on our craft lol.
I have nothing against finger tamping. What is it they say The universe moves in mysterious ways? I have no feeling in the fingers of one hand. Easy finger tamping was bestowed upon me like a gift from the pipe Gods or maybe it's a curse from the clothing Gods and that's why all my pants have a permanent soot stain🤔

El Capitán

Lifer
Jun 5, 2022
Newberry, Indiana
I used to smoke with my priest. He would always take a large sniff of his pipe before putting anything in it. I asked him why he did that and he just said "I don't have a clue." He's retired now and I miss our conversations since I've moved an hour and a half away.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Here in Louisville we have a big Baptist seminary. That's Bible college to you and me.
Apparently the head baptizer is a known pipe smoker,

If the head baptizer is the president of the seminary, I've never heard that Al Mohler smokes a pipe. It would be cool to know if he did though.
That's him - he's a known pipe smoker to our group, though I don't think he advertises.

I've met him, but didn't know he smoked a pipe. I once hailed from that world, in a previous life. I've been Anglo-Catholic for years now, but still respect that guy very highly. And even more, now!

Chalaw87

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2021
Northeast TN
We're either all weird or none of us are weird, and that's because all pipe smokers are the same:

We all like the same flavors, cuts, and moisture level in our blends.
We also all like the same size, style, shape, and material pipes.
We use the same ignition source to light our pipes.
We all clean our pipe the same way.

We are one big homogenized group. Non-pipe smoker's don't get us, I'm not sure why.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Just for fun.... tell us about some pipe smokers you've know who had weird habits or quirks regarding their pipes and smoking. Over the years I've met quite a few and I'm sure some of you have too. I'll start....

Back when I owned and operated a pipe shop I had a customer who would come in now and then, take a seat, pour a cup of coffee and smoke his pipe for a while. Ok, so far so good, but here's the thing. After every puff he would stop, run a fresh pipe cleaner through the pipe, stir the tobacco, tap, relight and take another (only one) puff. Then the process would start over again. This never varied and it would usually take over a hour to get through one bowl. I really had to bite my tongue not to say something, but I managed to keep quiet. Wonder if he still does it. puffy
We'll ask him - he's almost finished that bowl he started in your shop! 😁

Reactions: romaso

Cloozoe

Lifer
Sep 1, 2023
Nope, definitely chicken.......
Reminds me of a joke:

A guy's been poaching loons out on a lake and after a few months of cat and mouse the Fish & Game guy finally catches him in the act.

Fellow begs the F&G guy to give him a break; he's out of work, trying desperately to feed his family.

F&G guy feels sorry for him and says he'll let him off.

"By the way", F&G guy says "what's loon taste like"

Other guy replies, "A lot like eagle"

As far as I know neither of them was a pipe smoker,

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Damn,
I think I blew out a kidney laughing at that.

I just googled Montrose, it does seem to have some pretty high crime and drug usage going on.

I wasn’t sure whether to laugh, or go Damm! 🤔

P.S. If I ever met another pipe smoker, it would of been in the 80s, when I started. Since picking it back up almost 3 years ago, never seen/met anyone.

Reactions: Tate and FLDRD

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I just googled Montrose, it does seem to have some pretty high crime and drug usage going on.

I wasn’t sure whether to laugh, or go Damm! 🤔

P.S. If I ever met another pipe smoker, it would of been in the 80s, when I started. Since picking it back up almost 3 years ago, never seen/met anyone.
Not the best that Colorado has to offer.

• Sad
Reactions: PipeIT and Tate

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
Southern U.S.A.
I used to know this guy who I called "Mick crazy"... but not to his face. He was obsessed with anything Irish. He had an Irish last name, pro IRA bumper sticker on his car, only liked Irish rock music, drank Guinness, and wore a lot of green clothes. He would only smoke one brand of pipe and never consider anything else. Want to guess what brand it was? puffy

Reactions: Derby

Tate

Lifer
Sep 27, 2023
Northern Illinois
I used to know this guy who I called "Mick crazy"... but not to his face. He was obsessed with anything Irish. He had an Irish last name, pro IRA bumper sticker on his car, only liked Irish rock music, drank Guinness, and wore a lot of green clothes. He would only smoke one brand of pipe and never consider anything else. Want to guess what brand it was? puffy
Savinelli?🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.