All Pipe Smokers are Weird...Except You and Me.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Here in Louisville we have a big Baptist seminary. That's Bible college to you and me.
Apparently the head baptizer is a known pipe smoker, thus some of his young acolytes get the wild idea to try it out too.
They tend to gravitate towards Kremers, where the club gathers on Saturdays.
So over the years there's been a dozen or so young pipe fanciers that find their way in to our presence. Most don't make it back a second or third time.
There has been one that became somewhat a regular. Nice enough guy I guess. He's a spitter though.
He SPITS when he smokes. Every 5 or 10 minutes while smoking he will SPIT right there on the deck or the sidewalk - wherever we are. I think that's kinda gross.
If the head baptizer is the president of the seminary, I've never heard that Al Mohler smokes a pipe. It would be cool to know if he did though.

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row” Richmond Virginia USA
1st please don't be insulting. I'm as weird as they come and darn proud of it😉
Now that said. Other than a few tweekers and poor white trash type taking one hitter puffs of super discount cig baccy from weed pipes. I never knew a pipe smoker tell a year after I started smoking myself and to date every pipe smoker I've encountered has been almost exactly the same.
They all have a Ziploc bag of dust dry tobacco. The name of which they can't remember. If they ever bothered to know the name in the first place. They smoke from a cheap unknown basket pipe or cob. The pipe being so dirty and gummed up that the stem likely doesn't come out and in order to smoke it they have to run a twig or wire down the stem between each bowl.
Tamping is done with a lighter butt, empty hunting rifle casing or dirty finger. They smoke the gurggluest smoke you've ever heard. Like freight trains polluting the air with the Smell of burning tobacco tar and cheap tobacco while relighting it like a weed pipe with almost every puff. They do this tell it vomits forth dottle and tar to the point they can no longer tolerate it. They then ether Wipe the mouth piece clean and keep going or stamp it out tell next time.
The crazy part is they look at me and actually call me. Crazed, weird and wasteful because I have not only clean pipes that cost more than 20$ but more than one pipe. Know the name of my Tobacco and have more than one type. Then are baffled by the fact I can keep it burning and go on and on and on about how good it smells. In between insults and heckling.
But while willing to try a Tobacco or two and happy to accept a few pipe cleaners So far none have been willing to change the way the go about it.
I'm actually starting a pipe club the 17th of next month in the hopes of meeting a pipe smoker with smoking habits more in line with what I expected after reading and researching online. I'm not overly optimistic I will but we shall see.
Damn,
I think I blew out a kidney laughing at that.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
SE WI
Now that said. Other than a few tweekers and poor white trash type taking one hitter puffs of super discount cig baccy from weed pipes. I never knew a pipe smoker tell a year after I started smoking myself and to date every pipe smoker I've encountered has been almost exactly the same.
They all have a Ziploc bag of dust dry tobacco. The name of which they can't remember. If they ever bothered to know the name in the first place. They smoke from a cheap unknown basket pipe or cob. The pipe being so dirty and gummed up that the stem likely doesn't come out and in order to smoke it they have to run a twig or wire down the stem between each bowl.
Tamping is done with a lighter butt, empty hunting rifle casing or dirty finger. They smoke the gurggluest smoke you've ever heard. Like freight trains polluting the air with the Smell of burning tobacco tar and cheap tobacco while relighting it like a weed pipe with almost every puff. They do this tell it vomits forth dottle and tar to the point they can no longer tolerate it. They then ether Wipe the mouth piece clean and keep going or stamp it out tell next time.
The crazy part is they look at me and actually call me. Crazed, weird and wasteful because I have not only clean pipes that cost more than 20$ but more than one pipe. Know the name of my Tobacco and have more than one type. Then are baffled by the fact I can keep it burning and go on and on and on about how good it smells. In between insults and heckling.
But while willing to try a Tobacco or two and happy to accept a few pipe cleaners So far none have been willing to change the way the go about it.
I'm actually starting a pipe club the 17th of next month in the hopes of meeting a pipe smoker with smoking habits more in line with what I expected after reading and researching online. I'm not overly optimistic I will but we shall see.
I seriously need friends like you have there. Good people! Gurgilly fingers and all!

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
We're going to need more details. Pan fried, deep fried, seared, BBQ'd? Do they cook well over an open fire? I have an endless supply of trespassers and not enough freezer space.
Are we back to talking about "Hawaiian Tropic marinated hobos roasted over a dumpster fire filled with rotted cabbage and regret" again?

(kudos to @ashdigger for originally posting that gem!) 🤣

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I was dating this girl 20 years ago.. one night while getting freaky in the back of my Bronco II she decided to do something I've never experienced since.
I can't go in to detail here but believe you me... I'll never forget it.
Must have been the age factor skewing your encounter, I knew her in ‘76 but can’t remember a thing. :)

Reactions: bluegrassbrian

Green Hill Hermit

Can't Leave
Feb 1, 2023
Look. The art of finger tamping takes time and commitment. You have to build up a proper heat callus, not too thick, not to thin. Don't knock us, we work hard on our craft lol.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Status
Not open for further replies.