PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I've been told that it draws out the natural oils in the wood and weakens it, making it more susceptible to cracking.
I have wondered about that.
Only pipe that ever cracked on me was an estate with extremely clogged mortise which I had to treat extensively with alcohol soaked cleaners and swabs. It developed a crack all along the shank on the first smoke.
What really hurt was not so much that it was a 1922 Loewe, but the 3-4 days it took me to clean it out. ?

Oct 7, 2016
It's interesting to hear the S/A method referred to as "drastic". When i was getting into buying estates it was just one of the things we did with an estate pipe that had excessive mustiness or a pronounced ghost. It does an OK job of removing rancid oils, though not as much as a boiling alcohol retort flush.

I've done both of these a number of times with newly acquired estates. The retort flush is more drastic, but it really cleans out rancid oils all throughout the chamber and airway. Also, there are other methods, like packing the chamber with charcoal and baking the stummel, or sending the pipe out for an ozone treatment.

Unless the wood on a pipe is very dried out, the S/A treatment shouldn't cause any issues, but it can crack a very dried out old pipe.

I only use these treatments when I'm first cleaning up an old estate that I've just bought, or occasionally neutralizing a pipe that I'm going to sell or gift. Otherwise I use standard cleaning methods.
This. The salt alcohol treatment is very benign. On rare occasions I have had to do it as many as three times. I don’t advise the alcohol retort treatment unless you are very sure you can do It safely. I have done it with no issues, but always with some trepidation, since I am a klutz.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Also if it gets on the finish it’s not the end of the world. That’s another myth to keep pipe smokers on the edge of their seat.
Not a myth. Speaking from personal experience. Fortunately the damage was minimal.

The dyes/pigments commonly used in staining pipes are alcohol soluble. They remain soluble after application.

A coat of wax on the pipe will protect from brief, incidental contact but it is best to simply avoid the problem by exercising a bit of care.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have wondered about that.
Only pipe that ever cracked on me was an estate with extremely clogged mortise which I had to treat extensively with alcohol soaked cleaners and swabs. It developed a crack all along the shank on the first smoke.
What really hurt was not so much that it was a 1922 Loewe, but the 3-4 days it took me to clean it out. ?
Could've just been the age. I had an unsmoked 1912 KB&B shank split on the first smoke, no alcohol involved.

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Some time ago I had a crack in a shank of an estate after cleaning it with alcohol (iso) when reassembling the stem and the stummel because I forgot to put graphite (‘pencil') on the tenon. The reason is that alcohol is hygroscopic and after it evaporates the shank becomes still more dry as it was before and shrinks. The tenon doesn't change its size at all. Just in the moment I heard the knack I was reminded of this. Sure, the shank could be repaired with a band but for me the pipe wouldn't be an original no more, part of the nomenclature would be covered.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
There is seldom a real need to use alcohol to clean a pipe.

For a ghost, the first thing to try is a hot water flush. If no joy, fill the chamber with used coffee grounds and let dry over several days. If still ghosted, cotton or salt and hi proof alcohol, followed by a flush, should do it. If still stuck, send it to someone with a retort. Or gift it to someone who doesn't know what a ghost is.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Being not particularly fond of spooks and ghosts I always go for the "drastic" approach.
My routine : Clog the mortice with a cotton swab and stuff the chamber with cotton balls . Seturate it with iso alcohol. Give it quiet for 48 hrs. and then clean it out. Wipe the chamber with a paper towel and food grade alcohol. If nead be repeat with activated charcoal pellets in stead of cotton. When evaporated the djinni is in the charcoal and the chamber smells sweet as pie.
Salt gives a mess and overhere the coarse , " koosjer " kind is hard to come by.

Last edited:

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
As regards cracked stems, don’t forget to take your local levels of humidity into account. I live in dry Arizona and my pipes are used to it. A pipe from Alabama shipped to a very dry location should probably sit for a month or so before any aggressive alcohol treatment.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
As some colleagues have said, alcohol melts the oils and other dirt embedded in the interior. It gives me excellent results in my corn pipes. But I will do the same technique with my only two briar pipes, before the cake ruins the bowl. However, I have not used salt, as my briar pipes are new. But at the moment I am not convinced by the cleanliness of the salt/alcohol mixture.