PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I'm confused ; are we talking about cleaning/deghosting the chamber with water and soap ?
I didn't imagine it would be too confusing! Warm soapy water gets rid of a lot of foul smells and tastes; pipes are just one of the many things it works wonders on. It has a very long track record of cleaning things... some of them much more nasty than fouled up tobacco oils.

For some reason, some people who smoke pipes have had a disconnect with this.

I did too, for some time.

Never gave it much thought and just went with the status quo for too long (my own personal experience). I was washing dishes one day and had a pipe nearby, so scrubbed that out too. Bam! The light went on. I never went back.

I clean anything from one of the $70 pipes I first bought to fairly expensive pipes. There's not a pipe I own that I don't do this to. Bamboo, meerschaum, vulcanite, acrylic, whatever. Your vulcanite stems may discolour if you don't dry them fast enough, but a little stem oil and a quick buff with a pipe rag makes mine look new every time so far. Most of the time it's a non-issue. For other times, stem oil.

I keep the cake on my pipes quite thin. I don't know how it works otherwise. If you have very thick cake from someone else smoking something you don't like, maybe it leaves a smell/taste you can't get out because of that. I'd suggest building your own cake anyway, just for fun.

Anyway... yes, it works. My pipes are very much neutral smelling after this and I don't have to dedicate blends to a pipe. Again... thin cake may be the difference, but I've never tested that out as it doesn't suit me to have thick cake.

jpmcwjr

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well, some of us have written about this method for quite a few years. It's simple and it works, with less fuss and muss than many other methods.

I use very hot water, no detergent or soap.

Reactions: crashthegrey

mike wheelock

Lurker
Mar 13, 2022
eastern washington
only been smoking since january this year so dont have a lot of experience like many of the experienced on this forum. have been buying on ebay and have found some really nice pipes but they have needed some work. have done all with the rock salt and alcohol treatment and have had no problems ...yet. all were reamed out somewhat but not down to the virgin wood. stems were polished with a 3 step method after cleaning in oxyclean and cleaned internally with pipe cleaner and vodka. have enjoyed these restorations very much and see no end in sight. the forums here are very informative and are a pleasure to read. will continue to keep up with this forum and its information. good day to all......speak softly and carry a big stick!

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Hello Mike,
welcome to the forum. Do not worry and follow your owh path. This is just the same, tedious. boring, repetitive discussion
that drags on for years now :) Whatever works for you is perfectly fine. Soapy water ( wink-wink nudge-nudge ),
kosher salt & alcohol, cotton balls & alcohol , hot water flush , think of your pipe as a rubber duck and give it
a soak when you're in tub etc. etc.
Enjoy what you do and do what you enjoy.
Obviously I'm in a E.E. Cummings mood and my typing sucks .
Cheers .

Reactions: edger and jpmcwjr

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
If you say that you don't feel cleaner after treating yourself with alcohol, then I am glad that I gave up completely on alcohol. My health was in a very bad condition recently, and the reason was because I drank too frequently, and it damaged my stomach and some other organs, and now I have to follow a long treatment process and take no alcohol. The hardest part is just when you stop drinking, because I was kinda addicted to it, but reading this theluckiestclub.com made me feel way more motivated.
I’m glad you are able to stop and get your health back. I stopped drinking almost 4 years ago. Don’t really miss it. No health issues, just wanted to stop. But my pipe is always full!

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
Hello Mike,
welcome to the forum. Do not worry and follow your owh path. This is just the same, tedious. boring, repetitive discussion
that drags on for years now :) Whatever works for you is perfectly fine. Soapy water ( wink-wink nudge-nudge ),
kosher salt & alcohol, cotton balls & alcohol , hot water flush , think of your pipe as a rubber duck and give it
a soak when you're in tub etc. etc.
Enjoy what you do and do what you enjoy.
Obviously I'm in a E.E. Cummings mood and my typing sucks .
Cheers .
All the info one could ever need. I don’t clean mine while bathing though. I’m worried I might loose track of one and where it might get stuck. ??‍♂️

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I just started doing the 151 and cotton balls and it’s super easy and holy crap works so well. Haven’t tried soap and water or just really hot water, the 151 and cotton balls works for me, it’s fast and easy and i have no worries about it. I’m slowly working though all the estate pipes I’ve bought lately and doing them all. Also a small bottle
151 on a pipe cleaner (or several) through the stems makes quick work of goo in there as well.

It’s interesting how dirty “cleaned, sanitized and ready to smoke” really is.

i also bought microcrystalline (sp?) wax to wax and buff up the pipes, i will say this stuff smells like Go-Jo hand cleaner you see in automotive garages but the smell fades quickly.

plus many many other cleaning and upkeep things I’ve leaned here. Big thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I have a Yello Bole Premier and Lee unmarked stem (replacement?) Star Grade soaking in Everclear and sea salt.

Both pipes were in decent shape, but had been smoked so much they had discolored like meerschaums, where they were nearly black from tars penetrating and staining the shanks and bottoms of the bowl.

They didn’t taste rank or sour, but I want to freshen them up a bit.

It takes an incredible amount of smoking to discolor a briar pipe. Most briar pipes would have suffered chewed up bits, or bowl burnout or cracking, and gotten tossed.

But now they’ll get another lease on life, you know?

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
I just started doing the 151 and cotton balls and it’s super easy and holy crap works so well. Haven’t tried soap and water or just really hot water, the 151 and cotton balls works for me, it’s fast and easy and i have no worries about it. I’m slowly working though all the estate pipes I’ve bought lately and doing them all. Also a small bottle
151 on a pipe cleaner (or several) through the stems makes quick work of goo in there as well.

It’s interesting how dirty “cleaned, sanitized and ready to smoke” really is.

i also bought microcrystalline (sp?) wax to wax and buff up the pipes, i will say this stuff smells like Go-Jo hand cleaner you see in automotive garages but the smell fades quickly.

plus many many other cleaning and upkeep things I’ve leaned here. Big thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge.
Good show !
Microcrystalline wax, aka conservators wax, is my way to go when waxing rusticated/sandblastedd pipes.
For the smoothies if I prefer a more subdued shine, allthough this stuff when properly used ( applied in multiple layers ) can see to a
carnauba wax like one, without looking the briar as if you painted it with floor varnish. Savvy ?
It is a chemical wax that contains benzene and is therefore avoided by some. The benzene evaporates quickly though.
Once "cured" it is more heat resistant than carnauba wax and will last much longer. Tread carefully, removing this stuff is a pain. It also occured to me that your nails can leave a dent, or scratch in the carnauba wax, when there is too much of it on your briar. Removing carnauba is a pain too :)

Last edited:
Reactions: AJL67

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I will not use salt for my pipes. I think it is a rather aggressive material. I think that over the years, the wood will be ruined. I may be wrong, but I prefer to keep the salt away from my few briar pipes. I only have two. Of course I totally respect the ideas of the colleagues here to use salt.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Good show !
Microcrystalline wax, aka conservators wax, is my way to go when waxing rusticated/sandblastedd pipes.
For the smoothies if I prefer a more subdued shine, allthough this stuff when properly used ( applied in multiple layers ) can see to a
carnauba wax like one, without looking the briar as if you painted it with floor varnish. Savvy ?
It is a chemical wax that contains benzene and is therefore avoided by some. The benzene evaporates quickly though.
Once "cured" it is more heat resistant than carnauba wax and will last much longer. Tread carefully, removing this stuff is a pain. It also occured to me that your nails can leave a dent, or scratch in the carnauba wax, when there is too much of it on your briar. Removing carnauba is a pain too :)
This does bring up a question, what type of Carnauba wax is used, im assuming the straight up bar of wax and not a car paste, or is there a paste out there people use for Briar? I also have bees wax i suppose i could use that since i already have it.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Go for the good, old straight up bar, it is pure natural 100 % carnauba.
You need to apply it with a machine and a disc and it takes skill !
No beeswax, it will melt when you smoke your briar.
Thank you and yes i was looking at small hand buffers, i have enough pipes that it’s probably worth spending 50 bucks on a small chargeable buffer just to take care of my pipes while i wax on and whacks off ? ?

Reactions: orlandofurioso

sleepy57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2021
Spring Hill, Florida
I purchase a bottle of 150 proof EVERCLEAR (about 19 dollars) to clean my stem and stummel air paths. Do't get that stuff anywhere near the finished Briar...it will remove the finish since they are alcohol based. It will remove all tars and gook and keep your pipe smoking sweet I use this after I finish smoking my pipe for the day.Just dip the end of a pipe cleaner in the everclear and it will do the job!

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I finished my alcohol and salt treatment of my Yello Bole and Lee today, and I’m delighted how much better smokers the pipes are.

There wasn’t a great improvement on how they looked, though.