36 Fresh Rattray's Pipes
12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes
36 Fresh Brigham Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

It won't ruin the bowl, but it is a drastic measure...

For daily routine, I use a mix of 99% isopropyl alcohol and 15 year old Johnnie Walker Green label, 50/50. The Iso is to kill the germs and the Johnnie walker to sweeten up the pipe. I always do the stem and shank but never the bowl.

If I am doing the bowl, it's because I am trying to exorcise an evil spirit like Lakeland or Cherry, etc. For that, it's straight Scotch and salt. No Isopropyl. I have only done that twice, both on Estates.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I've done the alcohol and salt treatment on some estate pipes I bought from ebay. It was necessary. The next day the salt was the color of dark chocolate. But as mentioned by others, it's something that is a drastic measure, and you really shouldn't ever have to do it on a pipe you bought new and took decent care of.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I buy a lot of estate pipes which come in all conditions - from pristine to never been cleaned (I do try to avoid those). If the bowl is dirty or ghosted, after reaming, I stuff the bowl with cotton balls and fill with a high proof clear apricot Eau de vie (fruit brandy) and leave for 24 hours. After removing the cotton balls the next day, I use screwed up paper towels to ream out the bowl. That removes most of the residual cake and tars and leaves behind a very pleasant smell. Salt works as well as cotton balls, but it is much easier to remove a cotton ball than a bowl of damp salt !

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's interesting to hear the S/A method referred to as "drastic". When i was getting into buying estates it was just one of the things we did with an estate pipe that had excessive mustiness or a pronounced ghost. It does an OK job of removing rancid oils, though not as much as a boiling alcohol retort flush.

I've done both of these a number of times with newly acquired estates. The retort flush is more drastic, but it really cleans out rancid oils all throughout the chamber and airway. Also, there are other methods, like packing the chamber with charcoal and baking the stummel, or sending the pipe out for an ozone treatment.

Unless the wood on a pipe is very dried out, the S/A treatment shouldn't cause any issues, but it can crack a very dried out old pipe.

I only use these treatments when I'm first cleaning up an old estate that I've just bought, or occasionally neutralizing a pipe that I'm going to sell or gift. Otherwise I use standard cleaning methods.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
For less extreme cases, you can just dip a pipe cleaner in rubbing alcohol then clean the inside stem and shank, than right after run more dry cleaners to remove the excess alcohol and grudge will come out too... then dip paper towel in rubbing alcohol to clean inside the bowl, then a dry one again to dry it out. Soaking in alcohol is for really messed up pipes. Try not to get any alcohol on the outside of the bowl and dry it fast if you do.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
100% to what Sable said.

I do S/A as a matter of course when cleaning up a new to me estate pipe. I use Everclear as it’s food grade and doesn’t leave a detectable flavor.

I’ve never had a problem with the salt and alc treatment but be aware that alcohol can remove stain from a pipe so be careful to keep it off of the exterior surfaces.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I use 190 proof Ever Clear in the shank, in the BOWL and in the stem. I routinely do it.

If I’ve heavily smoked a pipe through the week, which happens often, during a deep clean I use shank brushes, bristle pipe cleaners and a paper towel that’s been twisted to fit the bowl and I dip it in alcohol and clean the bowl.

I’m a fan of clean bowls and bowels.

Also if it gets on the finish it’s not the end of the world. That’s another myth to keep pipe smokers on the edge of their seat.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I've heard it's some finishes.
I have pipes ranging from one month old to 122 years old, not one pipe has been negatively affected. I even take a paper towel, put alcohol on it and rub the grime off pipes. The wax definitely can be affected, but that’s minor and cleans up.

The only stains that are affected, that I’ve had, were some newer (1990’s - 2010’s) Peterson’s.

Obviously I’m a sample of one, but the complete paranoia of alcohol on the exterior is completely insane.